Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Best food idea of 2007
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 12:56 am

2 squares of Vosges Barcelona bar melted
strawberries
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 3:13 am

tht shit was so good. wish I had thought of it sooner.
Posted: Jan 1, 2008 3:15 am

The baked brie and red pepper jelly thang.
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 4:57 pm

Roasted Garbanzo beans and garlic
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 7:07 pm

Roasted Garbanzo beans and garlic
yum. Boil then roast? Instructions?
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 7:18 pm

Canned garbanzos, whole peeled garlic, olive oil, s+p, couple bay leaves

in a pan at 350, covered for 45 minutes
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 7:44 pm

covered
interesting
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 8:25 pm

in the oven
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 9:11 pm

in the oven

i am a big supporter of roasting stuff in the oven
it does all the work for you
you could blenderize it and have hummus!
Posted: Jan 2, 2008 10:12 pm

For channukah, I put brisket and applesauce between 2 latkes and made a "sandwich." That was so good it was meshuggah.

I've made garbanzos in the oven sort of like that, but I cook them uncovered and added lots of hot pepper flakes. And I cooked them 'til they were crunchy and ate them as a snack. They were even better than Corn Nuts.
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 3:11 am

And I cooked them 'til they were crunchy and ate them as a snack. They were even better than Corn Nuts.

dude, nick should make you his spicy edamame recipe. you would love.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 7:46 pm

I've made garbanzos in the oven sort of like that, but I cook them uncovered and added lots of hot pepper flakes. And I cooked them 'til they were crunchy and ate them as a snack. They were even better than Corn Nuts

I made this last night, but put chili powder, cumin and paprika on them (along with big dash of Kosher salt). Very good!!
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 9:10 pm

how long in the oven for crunch?
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 9:15 pm

A loooooooong time. At least an hour and a half. Maybe more. I kept taking them out and then realizing I wanted more crunch and putting them back in. They actually "pop" when they're done I think. They kind of split and then they are crunchy.

Last night was experimental, next time, more seasoning (FOR SURE) and more time in oven.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 11:52 pm

so do you use canned garbanzos for that or dried ones that have been soaked? i got both sittin here at the house and the snackysnack sounds good.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 1:28 am

I used canned. Just rinsed em and poured some olive oil down & you know the rest....
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 1:50 am

so do you use canned garbanzos for that or dried ones that have been soaked? i got both sittin here at the house and the snackysnack sounds good.
Unless you have a pressure cooker, do not bother with dried 'banzos unless you have an entire day to kill. On more than one occasion (after soaking them all night), I've boiled garbanzos for 8 hours or more and they still never got properly done all the way. Most other dry beans take no longer than 2 hours, 3 tops.

Once, I couldn't bear to wait for the beans to boil anymore, so I ate them anyway. The rest of the day was spent feeling like a neverending series of H-Bombs were being detonated inside my gastrointestinal system. I think I farted for nearly 12 hours straight. Use the canned beans!!
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 5:14 am

eeeeeeek.

i've never had any problems with dried garbanzos, but i've only used them once (to make falafel) and i accidentally let them soak for 2 days straight in the fridge cuz i ate a xanex and slept forever and had work and a bunch of other shit happened. anyway, long story short, the one time i used them, i managed to escape them being tough. the ones i got are left over from that experiment.

it still took too long if you think about it. i just wasn't planning on immediate consumption.

canned does seem a hell of a lot easier.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 3:58 pm

canned beans are the best, my new fave Great Northern Beans!
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 5:12 pm

Are garbanzos really chick peas? Is this another bizarre food name thing, along the lines of the coriander/cilantro deal?

My fave winter accompaniment to a 'proper' dinner is kale, chopped, and steamed in a non-stick frying pan with a lid, over a fried mix of olive oil with chopped red onion, at least four cloves of thinly sliced garlic, a sliced chili pepper, a chopped bell pepper and sea salt/black pepper. Heat the pan with a good glug of olive oil in it, toss in the onion/garlic/peppers, a good grind o'black pepper and then just a little salt... rinse the kale and shake off most of the water, then when the other stuff is just starting to caramelise, simply drop it on top, salt and a good sprinkle of white wine vinegar, then cover for four minutes on a med-high heat, finishing with a minute with the lid off and a good stir...

for a good main meal, simply fry some chopped, smoked bacon/sausage before throwing the onions, etc, in... you can finish it off with some garlic & herb croutons made from day-old bread, and a fried egg dotted with paprika!

Dee-licious!
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 7:21 pm

the coriander/cilantro dea
what?
since when is coriander and cilantro the same thing??
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 7:45 pm

comes from the same plant. coriander is the seeds of the plant where cilantro is the leaves.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 8:23 pm | Edited by: Hadda Bad Day

really?
well, I had no idea
thank you, gonerboard!
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 12:05 am

Are garbanzos really chick peas? Is this another bizarre food name thing, along the lines of the coriander/cilantro deal?
They're the same thing. To confuse things even more, they're also known as ceci beans.

comes from the same plant. coriander is the seeds of the plant where cilantro is the leaves.
I think that in the UK "coriander" is the name for both the leaves and the seed and "cilantro" is not generally used.
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 8:58 pm

My brother roasted some brazil nuts with olive oil and garlic and rosemary.
Man it was good with beer
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 4:54 pm

I tried to roast the garbanzos using olive oil, garlic, and some Worcestershire. I drained the can, put them on a cookie sheet with foil over top and cooked them for about an hour and a half. They came out mushy in the center and looking like burnt rabbit turds.

What did I do wrong? I have two more cans of beans to try this with.....
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 5:45 pm

try uncovered
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 6:49 pm

2nd try - less oil, uncovered on cookie sheet. We'll see. I suspect the Worcestershire fucked it up last time - I'll add it on after at least 45 min in.
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 8:30 pm

better but I am not going to be able to eat them - I will break a tooth for sure.
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 11:25 pm

I cooked em uncovered for over an hour. Took em out and some were still mushy in the middle, so the next day I put em back in the oven wrapped in tin foil and then they cooked perfectly. I'm gonna put some worcestershire on mine next time too!!
Posted: Jan 11, 2008 11:50 pm

I'm really, really, really happy to not see Pinkberry on this list.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 3:02 am

In a lot of countries they call the green leaves "coriander" also.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 5:06 am

i wonder if those roasted garbanzo beans would be good with wasabi powder. i have some wasabi powder. hmmm.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 7:57 am

I get those roasted chickpeas in the hot mix I buy from India Sweets & Spices. It has a bunch of other yummy crunchy stuff in it, all dusted with this insanely yummy, super spicy Indian mix of chili and spices. Good stuff. It's like masochistic trail mix.
Posted: Jan 15, 2008 8:03 am

In a lot of countries they call the green leaves "coriander" also.

Coriander is when it's young. At full bloom it get's more bitter..then it's called cilantro. Or maybe it's the other way around. They're the same plant-the name change has to do with the hairs on the the plant, their length and when they fall off....or so I've been told.
Posted: Jan 28, 2008 11:11 am

he name change has to do with the hairs on the the plant, their length and when they fall off

Are we talking coriander or male pattern baldness here?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®