Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 7:53 pm

does this stuff work? please discuss.

i've been trying to figure out something that would make my intestines behave, but after 2 days, it's not working. i've heard mixed reviews saying it's good after 2 weeks, and others saying it's made people worse off than they were.

what's your take on this?
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 7:56 pm

the Greek yogurt helped me. I started eating the activia, but it didn't seem to do much good. You can get the Greek yogurt at the Mediterranean Market on Park...just east of Highland. It's like three bucks for a big tub.

I've been off of it for a few days now, but did just buy some regular plain yogurt at the Kroger.

Good luck!
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 8:12 pm

I eat activia every day.
I have never had any intestinal problems, not sure if it was jsut the addition of yogurt to my diet or what, but I do seem less bloated since I started eating this shit.

and Elle, I recommend quitting rollerderby if you are looking for better health, I lost 25 lbs since I quit... who knew?
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 10:04 pm

My mom eats that.

Drink Kombucha!
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 10:06 pm

I recommend quitting rollerderby if you are looking for better health, I lost 25 lbs since I quit... who knew?
?!?!?!?!

whaaa? How? Less drinking? I would have assumed the exercise would be good for you.

(My firends have told me yoga has helped their intestinal issues. Personally, I like doing yoga, lately bikram, but I don't think it effects my gi tract much.)
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 10:53 pm

i eat a cup of fiber one honey cut clusters every morning, drink a buffalo rock ginger ale right before that, and swallow a refrigerated probiotic with the third or fourth drink of that.

i had ulcerative colitis, was on medicine for several years, got off it, got on this, had no problems since. if you wanted, you could set your watch by my bowel movements (seven a.m., hello) but that would just be fucking gross.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 11:32 pm

and Elle, I recommend quitting rollerderby if you are looking for better health, I lost 25 lbs since I quit... who knew?

hahahah. i ended up losing a lot of weight by stopping drinking so much. i practice 3 times a week and if i drank the night before, i'd be killing myself. i went down 3 sizes in clothes since i quit getting so sloshed all the time. i only drink once a week these days.

the only thing i could gain by quitting roller derby would be better knees. mine are kinda jacked up.

i thought the stopping drinking would make my gi tract work better, but it's the same ol' shit. gross. i probably could use some fiber since i still eat so much good tasty fried stuff and bbq all the time instead of "healthy" stuff like fruits and veggies. i live in memphis. it's hard to eat healthy shit when you're surrounded by yumminess.
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 11:46 pm

who knew that quitting that level of exercise would help one lose weight? man...

here's the thing about yogurt (i don't know about activia because i'm a greek yogurt aficionado and figured activia isn't going to be better)

its the CULTURES in the yogurt.. the live cultures - that help your GI tract maintain the balance it is supposed to have... when i buy non-greek yogurt, i look for the content of LIVE or ACTIVE YOGURT CULTURES - stonyfield farm is a good brand for that.. it is essential that your yogurt is NOT heat treated, as that kills the live/active cultures

live/active cultures break down lactose and supposedly boost the immune system as well.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 12:17 am

Those acidophilous Pearls are awesome too. Don't need to refrigerate, easy to take, one a day, little tiny things.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 12:24 am

memphis. it's hard to eat healthy shit when you're surrounded by yumminess.

my clothes still fit and all, but i'm sure i've gained weight from my extended stay in memphis. can't tell you HOW MANY times i ate at gus's and the lamplighter...
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 1:09 am

I was always much bigger when I rode my bike 10-15 miles a day...no idea. I certainly was smaller than now, but for some reason I didn't look it.

As far as Activia, it made me worse, but people said you were supposed to keep eating it and I couldn't go through with it. Water always eventually helps me with bloating, but maybe I should try greek yogurt with some fruit to jazz it up!!! How do you make plain yogurt taste better???

Finally, yoga helps bigtime, but I wonder how bikram can really help anyone...it is torturous. It always reminds me of the 1980's concept of power strength aerobics applied to yoga...yoga can be difficult enough without trying to give someone a heat stroke!
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 4:27 am

greek yogurt with some fruit to jazz it up!!! How do you make plain yogurt taste better???

greeks traditionally put honey on their yogurt... that ought to help
almonds are really good for you, so that will help plain yogurt taste better

i actually PREFER the tart, tangy taste of greek yogurt. i sprinkle pomegranate seeds on it. adds texture and more tang and pretty color

as for this phenomenon:
I was always much bigger when I rode my bike 10-15 miles a day...no idea

my only guess is that muscle is bulky and weighs more than fat?
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 5:31 am

How do you make plain yogurt taste better???

Blueberries, raspberries, banana, even apple are what I put in yogurt. Oh, and maybe a little granola. YUM!
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 6:16 am

Man, I fucking do NOT like yogurt. Or granola, or oatmeal. I am gonna die of fat.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 7:21 am

popcorn hurts my tummy...
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 7:34 am

Man, I fucking do NOT like yogurt. Or granola, or oatmeal. I am gonna die of fat.

ha! i like everything.... EVERYTHING... me & jeffrey steingarten are gonna die of eating everything we see
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 3:13 pm

I like it, but only like a teeny cups worth. I like granola a lot but always forget to buy it.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 3:39 pm

popcorn hurts my tummy...
me too
rice also makes me super sick
is it the gluten..or my gluttony?
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 4:42 pm

yoga helps bigtime
Totally. All the twisting helps wring you out.

I eat Kashi with a handful of raisins and sweet acidophulus milk every morning. My GI's groovy. Enough said. The nutritional value and fibre content of 99% of cereals on the shelf makes them not worth eating. I hate empty calories. Except ice cream.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 4:44 pm

Sweet acidophulus...forgot about that, that is what Dad always bought when we was kids. Now I just have soy milk with cereal.

I love popcorn! Never a problem over here.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 4:44 pm

There is no gluten in rice or popcorn...and goddamn, I love 'em both. I'm OK with the rice, tho. Popcorn is terrible if you have diverticulitis...the hulls get all caught up in your guts...I don't even know that I have that, should probably get checked.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 5:02 pm

so we're in agreement that it's gluttony...
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 6:30 pm

I hate empty calories.
I hate the idea of them, but put a nice crusty bread in front of me and I will eat the whole loaf
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 6:34 pm

but put a nice crusty bread in front of me and I will eat the whole loaf

Seriously. I have the least willpower in the world. Although last night was the first in as long as I can remember that I didn't have a single drop of alcohol.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 7:09 pm

so we're in agreement that it's gluttony...

Total. Man, I can eat.
Posted: Nov 21, 2007 7:36 pm

Popcorn is terrible if you have diverticulitis...the hulls get all caught up in your guts...I don't even know that I have that, should probably get checked.

What is it called when popcorn hulls get stuck in your teeth? I have that.
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 5:04 am

same here. i can barely eat popcorn without having a trip to the dentist afterward. :( too bad too because i love popcorn. a very tasty treat.
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 5:07 am

gaps in your teeth??? sorry. i just couldn't resist
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 1:32 pm

Man, I wish I had more gaps in my teeth, got lotsa teeth crammed up in there! A little condition called Frenchy Mouth.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®