Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 2:08 pm

What is the secret to having this stuff no come out looking/tasting like oatmeal?
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 2:12 pm

1 cup brown rice, 2 cups water. 45 minutes cooking time on low. thats how i do it and it comes out great. not mushy at all.
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 2:27 pm

Hmmmm. Well, the only thing different was I had 2.5 cups. That .5 cup can make a big difference I am sure. Also, we have an electric stove and that bitch SUX. The oven is hotter than it says and the eyes are totally unpredictable.
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 6:47 pm

i never really thought about it, but my brown rice has always come out loose (insert shit joke here).
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 11:21 pm | Edited by: Miss Faye

With any rice, I "saute" it in a little olive oil first over medium or so heat. Just a few minutes. Stir constantly - it'll start to smell like popcorn. Then hit it with two parts water or broth. Throw in a bay leaf, some salt (if you didn't use broth), a dash of thyme, and maybe a small smushed garlic clove. Stir it up. It does take longer than white rice, but I can't recall if I cook it covered on very low for 30 minutes, then covered off the heat for 15 minutes, or just 40-45 minutes straight. You know, you can take a quick peek toward the end of cooking to see if it's got those little holes along the top. It's done then.
Posted: Oct 15, 2007 11:24 pm

You know, once I made brown rice similar to above, but I added some minced onions and diced mushrooms to the mix. I also made my liquid ratio half water and half beer. The brown rice stood up to the beer, and with the mushrooms and all, it was a pretty tasty combination.
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 3:47 am

A $20 rice steamer both facilitates slothfulness and gets it perfect every time. That's a winning combination.
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 4:18 am

i swear by rice steamers

also - Miss Faye's advice is golden... I would add: use your le creuset if you have one - even heat, etc... best for long, low slow cooking

for some reason, i always thought that brown rice could use more liquid than white rice -- then again, i use LESS than 2:1 ratio on white rice for the consistency i like... so you should mess around with the ratio til you hit one that works for you
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 1:18 pm

True. I think I go slightly over the 2:1. Probably more like 2.25:1.
Posted: Oct 16, 2007 2:10 pm

We sold our rice cooker to some Korean students at the last yard sale here. It was MASSIVE. It was a $100 Japanese job...but way too big.

I went over on the liquid (2.5:1) and it was TOTAL mush. I think I need to do the saute method and crank the heat a bit up from the "LO" setting on our range.
Posted: Oct 27, 2007 3:07 pm

brown rice-not right for sushi
Posted: Oct 28, 2007 4:59 pm

I've never sauteed before, but after I add the water (2.5 to 1) I boil the rice for five minutes...then turn to low and cook for 40 more minutes. After that lift the lid...if it still looks watery cook for five minutes more.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 10:54 am

Now, how do you make it taste good?

I tried my hand at it last night and while it wasn't mush, I had no idea how to flavor it well.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 11:06 am

you get some pee pee, and some poo poo, and a bag.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 11:41 am

I usually add some chopped up onion, not too small
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 4:47 pm

Now, how do you make it taste good?
Somebody let me in on this secret, too. I love white rice, brown, not so much.
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 7:17 pm

I love white rice, brown, not so much.
I want to love it. I'm convinced there must be a way to prepare it that will enable me to love it just as much.
Posted: Sep 3, 2009 3:18 pm

I love white rice, brown, not so much.
I want to love it. I'm convinced there must be a way to prepare it that will enable me to love it just as much.

add quadruple amount of butter that you would put on white rice...or perhaps had an entire pork shoulder
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 1:53 am

use it with jambalaya
Posted: Sep 4, 2009 8:48 pm

furikake makes all rice better!

it is also good with any kind of sauteed veg.
and pork chops.
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 12:11 am

I LOVE furikake! I can't find it here. Know of any online resources?
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 6:11 am

amazon.com has about 10 kinds... just checked. YUM!!!
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 11:32 am

If you aren't using a rice cooker it really seems to help if you let it soak for a half an hour before you cook it.
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 11:32 am

If you aren't using a rice cooker it really seems to help if you let it soak for a half an hour before you cook it.
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 1:55 pm

amazon.com has about 10 kinds... just checked. YUM!!!

Now i remember why I never ordered it online - shipping is more than the jar of furikake! I'll save up and order some next pay period.
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 3:22 pm

windy where do you live now?
if you are going to gonerfest we could drive some to memphis....
Posted: Sep 5, 2009 3:31 pm

I'm in Michigan. It's not a big deal - we aren't going to make it to gfest this year anyway. Thanks for the offer though!
Posted: Sep 7, 2009 6:50 pm

bake it

seriously
Posted: Sep 8, 2009 9:46 pm

use it with jambalaya
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 2:00 pm

use it with jambalaya

no.
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 6:07 pm

serious. try it.
Posted: Sep 9, 2009 9:22 pm

I don't like jambalaya. brown rice isn't going to make any difference.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®