Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / GONER COOKBOOK Vol 2!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 1:24 am

All right! It's on!

GONER COOKBOOK VOLUME 2

Rocking it for XMAS!

Get your recipes in NOW!

Send recipes and any cookbook art to

gonercookbook@gmail.com

all contributors get copies, first one was a stone-cold classic, #2 should be even better (batter!)

Deadline for entries is October 31.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 1:27 am

There needs to be a Goner Cocktail Book....
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 1:45 am

Can't we have a potent potables section?

Be on the lookout!!!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:08 am

be still my beating heart!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:15 am

this is such a very nice idea...
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:50 am

Now I have to actually select recipes! For #1, I only really knew how to make like one meal and one drink!!!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:53 am

can you please make it so contributors to vol. 1 get a copy, cuz i never got one.

maybe i just need to come up with something for 2? maybe it will be a lasagna in a crispy edges pan.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:54 am

You're a crispy edges pan.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:57 am

Definitely will be more organized with this one. Considering reprinting the 1st, but I think we should go forward with a new edition rather than reprinting the 1st. Thoughts?

Definitely include your address with any recipe you send!

(Sorry Joe that I didn't get you a copy of the 1st... if I had more than 1 copy i'd send it to ya. )
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:03 am

I'd like the option to buy both, fwiw.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:24 am

I would like a #1 as I slept through buying one the first time...so maybe a small second printing? Those First Printings will be so valuable!

Does anyone know how much it would be to have one plastic spiral bound like those Women's Exchange etc vintage ones? If cheap, that might be a reallllllly cool option.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:54 am

maybe you could just PDF volume 1? I dunno.

I need to get some recipes together, that's for sure.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 6:49 am

a PDF of volume 1 would work for me!

perhaps for xmas 08, you could do a box set of #1 as a reprint, and #2 ?

that spiral binding stuff isn't cheap unless you can order/print/buy in greater bulk than we are in consumer numbers
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 7:00 am

there's a volume one? holy fuck. what the hell. i wanna see. i spiral bound one would be super pricey. too bad. what a good idea.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 2:32 pm

Ditto on a PDF of Vol 1.

Ah...I assumed the spiral would be cheap due to all the old churches and women's clubs that used the format. I bought a smallish cookbook from Hominy Grill in Charleston that is a nice, staped digest format, but the stock used for the cover as well as the interior pages is super strong.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 4:24 pm

(Sorry Joe that I didn't get you a copy of the 1st... if I had more than 1 copy i'd send it to ya. )

aw, i know we were all supposed to buy it. i was just being a lazy bastard. can we just a have a carney presents vol. 2?
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 8:06 pm

Ah...I assumed the spiral would be cheap due to all the old churches and women's clubs that used the format.

they probably had that machine that enables you to do it yourself.

we had one of those in an office i worked in and made spiral bound thingies all the time - i looked into getting one of those for personal use and they're really really expensive. but i bet a church or ladies' auxiliary would find it a good investment
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 8:11 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

can we just a have a carney presents vol. 2?

Yeah, dude. I'd rather have a "carney cooks for eveybody" day for Gonerfest next year. Or at my house tomorrow.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 12:57 am

Hey, are people submitting sauces, marinades etc? I think that would be a good section.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 1:04 am

Posted: Sep 16, 2007 2:12 am

i contributed salsa

i was actually thinking about sauces today.
an ex BF started his culinary career as a saucier and i have loads of high falutin sauce recipes up my sleeve. i sauce everything - but its mostly emulsions and reductions.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 2:39 am

I would love some of those--even if you just email some to me! My alternate reality best friend, Gordon Ramsay, has some nice butter and sauce recipes in his seafood book that I forgot to copy. Ryan has a couple of great sauces for skirt and hangar steaks that I will ask him to contribute.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 7:28 pm

lemme find grapefruit beurre blanc for ya
its way too gay for goners
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 9:46 pm

Yes!!! Email it over...but I can name 5 other Goners who won't think it is too gay!
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 10:00 pm

pastlame, gay lick, ned gayden, vionel ritchie & deadcityfaigelah.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 1:18 am

aND BAZOOKA JOE - he's a culinary fool!
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 2:52 am

I'm in. I've been slaving away at the Austin City Limits Festival this weekend with my Rock School kids (we headlined a stage today over Ziggy Marley !?%). I'll give a full festival report tomorrow. VIP catrering and open bars and being driven around in a golf cart by festival lackeys. The good life. Dylan is playing right now to 70,000 and I had to get the fuck out.

can we just a have a carney presents vol. 2?

Yeah, dude. I'd rather have a "carney cooks for eveybody" day for Gonerfest next year. Or at my house tomorrow.

I wish I could make it to Gonerfest, maybe next year. The Rock School kinda runs my social schedule right now, we have shows the next three weekends then I get to go to Festival Acadien in Lafayette Oct 12-14. I haven't been able to properly cook anything beside bbq the last month. Still remodling the kitchen, waiting on countertops and therefore I have no kitchen sink.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 4:43 am

I haven't been able to properly cook anything beside bbq the last month.

that's not so bad, is it?

i guess unless you have a hankering for grapefruit beurre blanc...
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 4:48 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

i guess unless you have a hankering for grapefruit beurre blanc...

Gay foreign words, and with grapefruit.

Did you know?
People who eat grapefruit are 10 times more likely to shoplift Depends.
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 5:27 pm

spiral binding
the first goner cookbook had a spiral binding, I am sure the next volume will too...
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 5:51 pm

YAY!
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 7:37 pm

YIP!

Have I got a bacon treet for you.
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 3:46 pm

I've got a Finnish(!) apple pie recipe that is pretty mind (tongue?) blowing...
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 9:15 pm

Aw damn! Finally a chance for my Southern Butterscotch Pecan Pie recipe to shine!
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 9:45 pm

now were talkin'. i'll make twenty of those!
Posted: Sep 18, 2007 10:31 pm

Butterscotch
hm. i dunno.
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 11:30 pm

YES!
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 11:31 pm

When do you need them by Eric?
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Oct 31... it's a while, but you know how that goes!

Thanks to everyone who's contributed so far... Vol 1 was amazing, from boiling water to stuff that took days to prepare, this one might even beat that.

Oh yeah, had to have the spiral binding! I love the cookbook genre!
Posted: Sep 19, 2007 11:58 pm

lemme find grapefruit beurre blanc for ya

pleeeeeeease email that. :)
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 1:15 am

TK-- now you know is has to be submitted!

***please bakers and desert peoples...submit!!!!***
Posted: Sep 20, 2007 1:38 am

GRAPEFRUIT BEURRE BLANC RECIPES FOUND

i have like 5 recipe variations.
BUT
i got a shit ton of demanding client stuff
PLUS a printer deadline for my punk rock book of the dead, which memphians can see on november 1 (will have copies for goner store)
so.... after all that stuff is sent off.... grapefruit sauces HERE and in the email to eric & zac
Posted: Sep 21, 2007 8:38 pm

i think i'm going to submit the zorba chicken.
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 7:34 am

i ended up getting curious enough to look it up and found a great recipe on epicurious for it over halibut. they didn't have any halibut left at fresh market though, so i went for grouper and it was quite delish.

i am going to have to sit down and type out all these recipes i got. i have a lot of stuff that i need to actually have a written recipe for anyway. i usually just throw everything in pans and make the stuff without having precise measurements. *shrugs*
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 8:38 am | Edited by: Theresa K

i found w/ most recipes for beurre blanc, you really don't have to use as much butter as they suggest.... but i like emulsions better than sauces.

from memory, my favorite grapefruit beurre blanc =
deglazing with white wine vinegar a pan in which you've seared shrimp
add grapefruit juice and butter, in small quantities, a tablespoon at a time, til desired consistency.... add grapefruit pulp (i always use ruby red)... finish w/ tarragon.

serve, of course, over the seared shrimp

its not the complete thingie - but from memory... something like that.

was yours at all similar?
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 4:30 pm

what's the difference b/twn a beurre bl. and an emulsion? what is a sauce? where did i park my car?
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 5:42 pm

7inchslam is hoping to do some good things for this book. I think we need our own section/sidebar.
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 9:19 pm

what's the difference b/twn a beurre bl. and an emulsion?

nothing i think --- but in ye olde cook books i got from my dad (circa 40s/50s), they call for a whole cow's worth of butter --- it was more like ghee!

i luvs my vintage gourmet mag compendiums, but really, you can use about 1/2 the butter they call for and still have a rich, buttery whatever
Posted: Sep 22, 2007 10:04 pm

yes 7inch slam! i'd love for you guys to have some sidebar action. as should the inhuman eating machine- tips for healthy (ish) overindulgence?
Posted: Sep 24, 2007 4:47 pm

yesterday i made pork tenderloin, brined for 2 days with sugar, salt, fennel, allspice, and peppercorns, then seared in a skillet and cooked in the stove for 15 minutes, served over sweet potatoes, boiled, riced, and cooked over a double boiler with bacon plus bacon grease added in... it was mighty good! will put the recipe in the book...
Posted: Sep 24, 2007 9:20 pm

theresa, this one didn't have the tarragon in it. it did have the white wine vinegar, grapefruit (ruby red), a boatload of butter and white wine. (i used a good chardonnay.)

when you reduce it down, then you add the butter, which ended up being a stick and a quarter. i love the hell out of some butter, so i am not complaining about there being too much in there. tasty.

ended up serving it over the fish which was on top of a belgian endive and shiitake mushroom sauteed "salad" with grapefruit sections.
Posted: Sep 24, 2007 9:50 pm

Are we allowed to submit things we stole from other cookbooks and act like they're our "famous" recipe? I'm good at that.
Posted: Sep 24, 2007 10:05 pm

you're alive!!!!
Posted: Sep 25, 2007 1:53 pm

you're alive!!!!

Sadly, only on the internet. But I'm going to build a robot for my soul to inhabit!
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 4:20 am

please bakers and desert peoples...submit!!!!

done.
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 8:13 pm

yep! keep \'em coming, folks. We got a long ways to go, and a short time to get there!
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 6:05 am

leon has a couple good one's from down under, i hope rich will send them up if not i'll get on him about it
Posted: Oct 3, 2007 10:05 pm

I got some more coming in Eric, just gonna be a couple days to get 'em to you.
Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:52 pm

I am on Ryan to do our lamb shanks recipe. My salsa recipe is in here somewhere so I will find it and copy it and email it. It is killah.

I know we have more stuff...
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 1:02 am

lamb sharks sound awesome.
Posted: Oct 6, 2007 1:06 am

baaaaaa-ite!
Posted: Oct 8, 2007 6:12 am

who is it?

LAMB SHARK!
Posted: Oct 10, 2007 7:59 pm

I have a dessert recipe to submit. Haven't made it in forever so i'll need to make a batch to figure out the measurements. I even created it myself years ago... By now, some like minded people have posted similar recipes on the net, but they're all a little different & mine was the 1st dang it.
Posted: Oct 11, 2007 6:35 pm

I cant make up my mind of what to submit. My Swedish meatballs or a speedy peppercurry with chiken.
Posted: Oct 12, 2007 10:45 pm

Did the Lamb Shark recipe come over the wires yet?
Posted: Oct 13, 2007 1:23 am

Posted: Oct 19, 2007 3:55 pm

world record mako shark out of destin 800LB+!!!!! did you see it k young?
Posted: Oct 19, 2007 9:08 pm

I just saved a lot of money on my lamb insurance by switching to mako.
Posted: Oct 20, 2007 5:04 am

i keep forgetting to sit down and type out my recipes for this thing. dang it anyhow. maybe tomorrow.
Posted: Oct 26, 2007 10:07 pm

yeah i keep thinking i won't be able to come up with something to combat the foodies
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 1:30 am

foodies be damned. I just sent in four trashy recipes!
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 3:08 pm

i'm trying to get a friend to contribute her recipe for her Sherry Cake - there's booze in it! it's perfect for the cookbook - not too mention, it's the BEST DAMN CAKE I"VE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I didn't know the deadline was already tomorrow!
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 7:31 pm

world record mako shark out of destin 800LB+!!!!! did you see it k young?

I sent the damn video to Earles. Thing was NASTY!
Posted: Nov 1, 2007 2:08 am

there's booze in it! it's perfect for the cookbook - not too mention, it's the BEST DAMN CAKE I"VE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

i submitted a recipe i got from my sister that she stole from a brewery in western mass. that features guiness. it's fucking great.
Posted: Nov 2, 2007 3:11 am

I also submitted a delicious Guinness recipe. And the recipe for my awesome amazing Southern Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie.
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 7:40 pm

i just now put a spanikopita in the oven (spinach pie for non speakers of restaurant greek)

did i send you guys that recipe?
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 8:21 pm | Edited by: eric o

Did not get Spanikopita!

Laying this stuff out, and...

WE NEED DRINK RECIPES!

help!

gonercookbook@gmail.com
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 9:19 pm

will send spanikopita today

i LAFF heartily that goner cookbook lacks drink recipes!
Posted: Nov 23, 2007 10:42 pm

me too, theresa. drink recipes. hmmm. i really don't have a lot of those. make scoro give ya the fruity shooter recipe. hahah.

now i'm going to patiently wait for someone to post "you're a fruity shooter" now that i said that.
Posted: Nov 24, 2007 7:06 pm

The only drink recipe I have is:
Go to P&H Cafe
Sit with sugardaddy, cthort and misslinda in a dark corner.
Eat a couple of the peaches out of the mason jar.
Stop yelling at people.
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 12:07 am

i got a mean pomegranate beurre rouge recipe...

there's this brilliant drink they serve in the swedish neighborhood of chicago at my favorite viking bar (simon's) called glogg (but with an umlaut over the o) that's basically mulled wine with little slivers of almond and raisins in the bottom. the raisins (which you can plump in brandy) soak up all the booze and are this amazing treat when you get to the bottom. totally effing brilliant for when you just froze your ta-tas off walking there. then you just drink old style.

i wonder what hot guinness tastes like.
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 2:03 am

Mexican Rimjob shooter

3/4 corn whiskey (the shitty novelty kind)
1/4 diet dr. pepper
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 3:00 am

The FInal Solutions for 2:

Margarita mix & draino shaken and poured into a volcano cup
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 3:35 am

glogg

they have it in nearby solvang... i guess now that i know what it is...

i got a mean pomegranate beurre rouge recipe

did you send it in? if you didn't... do... and/or send it to me! or post it here
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 5:33 am

I sent a couple of drinks.....can send more....
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 4:37 am

pillarofsalt -- is that you, sue??? :D i saw the post about the eating the chicken in the parking lot of murphy's and had to ask...
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 3:21 pm

SOLVANG!

for some reason, one of the best names for a town.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 7:06 pm

pomegranate beurre rouge:

reduce over medium heat one of those earth-mama-goddess shaped bottles of pomegranate juice with maybe a cup of merlot and a couple allspice berries and a smashed clove of garlic, by about two thirds. it should be almost syrupy. remove from heat, whisk in a couple of sticks of butter. adjust seasoning- i've made it with orange zest and fresh rosemary to really good results. i've also omitted the butter and used a bar of semisweet baking chocolate as the emulsifier. damn good.

serve over meaty fish (tuna or shark!) or big fat pork chops.

(yeah, lar-larz, it's me)
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 7:08 pm

i got a mean recipe for filipino-style co-cola pork chops, too.

like, smack your mama good.
Posted: Nov 26, 2007 10:21 pm

thank you pillarofsalt - you rule!!!

cola pork chops sound good too...
Posted: Nov 27, 2007 10:27 pm

f'realz.

can of coke, quarter cup tamari, pinch chinese 5 spice, mashed garlic, quarter cup unrefined organic peanut oil, dash fish sauce, some chili flake, marinate a couple hours.

take out the chops (the big fat center cut boneless ones) and grill or sear/roast til medium (crucial)

then simmer the marinade til it reduces to a syrup and glaze them chops.

also damn good for kebabs.
Posted: Dec 6, 2007 6:04 pm

bratwurst mac n cheese.

take 2 brats cut off the skins, fry the meats up like hambooger...put it in you macncheese. Real quick! Taste Real good! cheap, like me.
Posted: Dec 11, 2007 4:51 pm

i'm going to have to make those pork chops this week. i keep having dreams about what they would taste like.
Posted: Dec 11, 2007 6:56 pm

i got a mean recipe for filipino-style co-cola pork chops, too.

That sounds real interesting. I may have to try it. Though I think i'd leave out the fish sauce. I live in an apartment with all filipino neighbors. Sweet sweet people, but that fish sauce/flake smell is everpresent. I have a closet that shares a wall with the downstairs family's kitchen exhaust chute, that I literally can't use, except for a step ladder.
My filipino brother inlaw does a mean mean ham. He basically slowly warms a shank ham through in a pot of pineapple juice for a few hours over a LOW heat, with a little bit of brandy & maybe some brown sugar. The thing is not to let it simmer (it will come out kinda dry & tough) & frequently ladle the juices on top. Sooo good. I did a google search a while back & came up with a recipe for Chinese Ham, which was basically the same thing. I couldn't find it now though.
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 6:45 am

pillarofsalt is entirely correct. the pork chops are indeed slap your mama good. i made them tonight and they were so so so good. the marinade took a while to reduce, but it was well worth it. quite fucking awesome. thank you for sharing. :D
Posted: Dec 12, 2007 7:04 am

i had a roast loin of pork tonight.
it was amazing - totally different recipe. but pork is the god of meats.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 6:44 pm

there goes my head ipa:

1lb maris otter steeped
1oz amarillo hops @60min
1oz nugget hops @50min
1oz cascade hops @45min
1oz cascade hops @30min
8lb extra pale dried malt extract @15min
1oz cascade hops @ 10 min
1 oz cascade hops @ flameout

ferment w/ Safale-05 dried yeast or Wyeast Cali ALe liquid

bottle a week later.
enjoy 3 weeks later
Posted: Dec 27, 2007 4:23 am

has volume 2 been compiled yet?
Posted: Jan 5, 2008 11:43 pm

um, the deadline has passed, yet i am still working on it, looking for Feb release. Valentines day? I can hope!
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 6:22 am

another drink recipe

The IGRAAAY YO FASE
buy a cheap american beer
add a shot of bourbon
now pour some vernors (about a cup) into it

then drink

repeat till thrown out
Posted: Jan 9, 2008 4:15 am

super bad ass citrus pork tenderloin w/ pineapple rings

one pork tenderloin, cleaned (remove silver skin)
one mango
half a pinapple-crushed with jiuice
other half of pineapple cut into rings
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon worcesthire
cilantro- 2 tablespoons or so chopped
red pepper flakes
S&P

rub pork with the flesh of the mango, and half a crushed pineapple w/jiuce
pour quarter cup of OJ and few dasheds of worcesshire, season liberally with red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper and chopped cilantro-let marinate for no more than 90 minutes (all that acid will start working on that meat fast)-grill to medium and garnish withe grilled pineapple rings and fresh cilantro sprigs
(grilled pineapple rings, rings dipped in olive oil salt and peppered, grilled until they harden up and change texture)
possible sides-mashed sweet potatoes, mashed squash, red onion mashed potatoes
Posted: Jan 18, 2008 3:12 pm

the deadline has passed,
but i never sent you the chicken al-jazeera recipe I have been perfecting.
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 1:32 am

send it.
Posted: Jan 19, 2008 1:34 am

Someone needs to invent the "Chicken Jihad".
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 4:46 pm | Edited by: T J Honeysuckle

Did someone say chicken?
I don't know what to call this, though.

* 2 chicken breasts, skin off, each cut into 5 or 6 large chunks
* 150g French mustard
* 100ml fresh lemon juice
* 1 large clove of garlic, crushed
* 1 medium onion, very finely chopped
* 1 tbsp chilli paste
* 2 tbsp peanut oil
* 2 bay leaves
* big pinch of salt
* big pinch of ground black pepper

Method:

1. Sweat the onion in the peanut oil until soft. Add mustard, lemon juice, chilli, garlic bay & salt, stir well and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add a little water if mixture becomes too thick or looks lumpy.
2. Allow sauce to cool, remove bay leaves then pour 2/3 of this mixture over the chicken pieces. Marinate overnight.
3. The next day, grill chicken until cooked through, basting occasionally with the reserved 1/3 of the sauce.

You'll have to suck on those metric measures, I'm afraid.
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 8:36 pm

You'll have to suck on those metric measures, I'm afraid.

WE DON'T NEED NO FOREIGN RULERS!
Posted: Feb 1, 2008 8:59 pm

Pure Jack bait...sigh, y'know, I've missed this place.
Posted: Feb 17, 2008 9:23 am

this is ridiculously late but it was just invented: CHAMBEER

1 part chambord + 1 part beer = chambeer!

- courtesy mikey, ecsr
Posted: Mar 15, 2008 11:41 am

what's up with the cookbook?!
Posted: Mar 16, 2008 12:17 am

Season 2: Momentum Lost.

Got the recipes, gotta steal more from the board (don't really remember how i did that last time), grab some funny illustrations.

got an artist working on the cover.

sorry it's taking so long. dropping the ball big time.
Posted: Mar 24, 2008 9:52 pm

hey eric or zac.... you need anything else? i've been messing around w/ a dessert recipe that i finalized that's pretty awesome
and also a variation on a breakfast/brunch "pancake" thats easy as easy can be..

i can post here or email you
Posted: Mar 25, 2008 5:10 pm

don't really remember how i did that last time

search "recipe" in the Food section.

Maybe carney or TK could do a little basics type thing to cram in there--like they did under my "ersters. fried." thread. That would be cute with little drawings.

I have a 1920's Tampa cookbook that a bunch of "Mrs. Carlos Juarez's" and "Mrs. William S. Blarney" contributed recipes to and some are incredible-sounding (esp. the Cuban ones) and most seem easy. Want any of those for fun?
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 9:15 am

when alisa, andria & i went to the calvary church waffle shop, there was a little cookbook... andria got one. it has all the recipes for the food they served, including the fish pudding.

eric - you wanna ask andria to show you that? its kinda cute

do a little basics type thing
that's where my JOY OF COOKING and Julia Child's THE WAY TO COOK are invaluable
everything else i do, i improvise
Posted: Mar 26, 2008 4:14 pm

Feel free to copy anything I posted in the past. If need be, I can whip out a bunch of little basic things to add. Let me know.
Posted: Mar 29, 2008 12:06 pm

Hey, TK, I'm the one who bought the waffle shop cook book. It is very cool!
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 3:39 pm

cookbook art
DCR, that means you.
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 10:25 pm

cookbook art

you haven't seen alisa's collages, have you? the ones from cookbooks are WAY COOL

so... alisa... YOU bought the cookbook! i remember now... fish pudding for 50 and other volume feeding recipes, right?
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 7:14 pm

fish pudding for 50 and other volume feeding recipes, right?

exactly. It's a hoot.
Maybe we should make something out of it for Gonerfest!
Posted: Apr 9, 2008 9:09 pm

Maybe we should make something out of it for Gonerfest!

fish pudding dunk tank
Posted: Nov 3, 2008 3:41 pm

A stack of these sure would come in handy about Xmas time....
Posted: Nov 6, 2008 12:01 am

Is this coming out on vinyl?
Posted: Mar 23, 2018 12:45 pm

So, is this going to happen now? With No Shit Cassoulet? I still have vol. 1.
Posted: Mar 24, 2018 4:03 pm

The Troll:
No Shit Cassoulet?

OK, in response to requests...

NO SHIT CASSOULET (OR NO BULLSHIT CASSOULET)
So If you read up on the history of cassoulet in a bunch of fancy French cookbooks, or watch all the super elaborate cooking shows, you probably already know that cassoulet is different all over France, and that's because it's a dish made from winter stores and the kinds of things people grow and make are different in different regions. The French argue about which medieval keep/farm town came up with the idea, but whatever. It gives folks something to talk about while drinking beaucoup de vin...

Nowadays, the recipes you'll find have a lot of ingredients normal folks can't really find or afford or take two to three days to make. A lot of the recipes call for you to make duck confit and then the next day use it in the recipe. This is because they are overthinking trying to make what is basically a deliciously spiced leftovers & beans casserole.

(for example, http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/toulouse-style-cassoulet or https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017938-cassoulet or
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/classic-cassoulet)

I tend to make cassoulet once or twice a winter when we have a snow day and I am stuck at home and the heat in the house is feeling inadequate. If the power has gone out and you have to use everything in the fridge up, making a cassoulet can be a good option. Even if we still have electricity, I use whatever leftovers we have handy and ingredients that can be obtained at the bodega down the next block. (It's right next to the bakery, so I will trudge over and grab a loaf of fresh bread to serve with the cassoulet. If it's been snowing for too long and there's no wine left in the house, I'll also hit the liquor store, because that's definitely part of the deal.)

Vegetarians can probably use the same recipe, but leave out the meat.

Alors, allons droit au but.

RECIPE
Poultry (any kind, but if you have smoked turkey in your fridge, that can add some flavor) To get the authentic flavor, some folks add duck fat, which is cheaper than buying duck... chicken worked fine for me. I had a bunch of leftover chicken drumsticks when the power went out, so I threw them in)

Sausage (I've used linguiƧa, chorizo, kielbasa, and Italian sausage. They all worked pretty well.)

Pork (Needs to have fat. Some suggest salt pork or pancetta. I used bacon last time, cut into small pieces.)

Garlic (plenty of it)

Onions (at least one large, two, if you want it to be a little sweet)

Root vegetables (last time, I had potatoes in the house, but slogged to the corner to grab turnips and parsnips)

Celery & carrot (always, in French food, it seems...)

White beans (I used 3 cans of cannellini and great northern last time because that's what I had in the house)

Olive oil

Tomato paste

Crushed tomatoes

Chicken stock or other stock you happen to have in pantry (I tend to use chicken)

Spices required - Thyme, Bay leaf, salt, pepper, paprika (Smoked paprika works especially well)

Spices optional, but part of what makes it yummo - juniper berry, star anise, cardamom, cloves (not too many!), nutmeg, coriander, ginger.

In a big oven safe pot pot like a French oven or a Dutch oven (Yeah, yeah, bean dish, I know...)

1. On your stovetop, cook onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
2. Add fatty pork/bacon, cook until fat is released (this is where you would add duck fat if you got all fancy and went out and got yourself some.)
3. Add the spices and the other meats and turn and brown the meats
4. Add canned beans, tomatoes, chicken stock and all the veggies. Give it a good stir
5. Cook in oven on 350 for 3-4 hours with lid on, checking on it and stirring
6. Take the lid off, create crust with breadcrumbs that have been mixed with butter. Smear on top and toast with broiler (this doesn't work in ovens that have the heat elements underneath)

Serve with bread and wine. Wait out the rest of the storm in a warm stupor.
Posted: Mar 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks a lot. Winter is over.
Posted: Mar 26, 2018 1:37 pm

i hope.
Posted: Mar 26, 2018 5:23 pm

jahna:
RECIPE

i wanna make this with rabbit
Posted: Mar 26, 2018 5:24 pm

and if i had 2 rabbits i'd make brunswick stew with the other one
Posted: Mar 26, 2018 10:52 pm

DCR:
wanna make this with rabbit

That would probably work
Posted: Mar 26, 2018 10:55 pm

bazooka joe:
i hope.

If not, it'll take more than cassoulet and wine to console me.
Posted: Oct 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Mozart Martini

pour in
2oz of Jack Daniels -chilled-

then with spoon slowly pour over
1oz of juice from a Vienna sausage can

do not shake or stir

garnish with one Vienna sausage that has a cocktail umbrella and instruct your guest to stir it with the Vienna sausage

when serving make sure to tell guest it tastes just like a regular martini.
Posted: Oct 24, 2018 9:06 am

Love it!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®