Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Fuck a damn crock pot
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 2:29 pm

I cooked a pot roast in an oven bag yesterday and it came out WAY better ,cooked faster (2 hrs, 45 min.) and more tender that it ever did in a crock pot. and a lot less soupy too. Crock pot is ok if you have to go to work and want something already cooked when you get home . But I don't really feel ok about leaving heat producing appliances on all day when i 'm not there.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 2:30 pm

Baked chicken does great in an oven bag too.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 2:37 pm

I'm tellin you, pressure cooker! you could make that pot roast in 45 minutes in a pressure cooker and it'd be just as good.

I can't wait till it gets nice and chilly out so I can use the oven more though.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 2:39 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

I'm tellin you, pressure cooker! you could make that pot roast in 45 minutes in a pressure cooker and it'd be just as good.
I've tried that and I think a lot of the flavor is lost by cooking fast in the pressure cooker. Slow is the way to go. Plus with the oven bag ,clean up is easy as hell.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 2:47 pm

I don't really feel ok about leaving heat producing appliances on all day when i 'm not there.

i don't feel good about that either. really makes me nervous. still do it though.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 4:16 pm

Pussies.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 4:46 pm | Edited by: saispas

What is an oven bag?

I used to love our pressure cooker for beans. But it was old and we got rid of it before the thing blew up on us. I want one of the killer new ones, but I have some shoes and dresses in my future first.
Posted: Sep 14, 2007 5:36 pm

Posted: Sep 14, 2007 11:00 pm

Cast iron dutch oven!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 12:12 am

Cast iron dutch oven!

Gotta say DITTO on this; best osso bucco EVER!!!!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 12:23 am

i want one of those sooo bad! aren't they really expensive???
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 1:47 am | Edited by: saispas

We scored one by Lodge 50% off at Kitchen Kaboodle in PDX once.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 2:06 am

Cast iron dutch oven!

I make everything in mine. We were gifted Le Creuset...yeah, costs a million dollars. I inherited one when I was young too...didn't know what I had, and left it with the roomates when I moved out of my first SF place.
Man, they are versitile! I just got my first crock pot last winter, and I'm trying to love it...this thread is not good for me.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:15 am

crock pots have their ups and downs.
most people put too much liquid in them - and you don't really need to cook things as long as you think.
unfortunately, its all trial & error stuff, so you have to eat a lot of mediocre food until you hit on the method/recipe that works for you
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 7:03 am

ok, i love crock pots. but i want one of those fucking orange/colored dutch oven things or whatever they are? they are so pretty. i've wanted one for years and i can't afford it.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 7:06 am

orange/colored dutch oven things

le creuset.
greatest things ever
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 2:34 pm

Are you talking about these:

http://www.thewhitewhale.com/cook2.htm

They rule also--meatloaf in these things is perfect.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 3:27 pm | Edited by: skank police

Not this?

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/c142/index.cfm?cm% 5Fsrc=PRODVIEW&showsku=839431

I want this!

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/c213/index.cfm?cm%5Fs rc=PRODVIEW&showsku=6645501
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 5:55 pm

That tagine is AWESOME.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 8:36 pm

You can pick up a La Creuset at TJMaxx for a fraction of what they usually cost.

My dutch oven was a rusty gift to me from an estate sale. I rehabed it with some TLC. It's awesome and I do use it for everything. It's the only pot that lives on the stove.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 8:51 pm

It's the only pot that lives on the stove.

Ours too!
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 11:31 pm

Although I satnd by the cooking bags for their ease of use and the way they make meat and poultry really tender and juicy, those clay and iron dutch ovens are awesome. You can even take the iron ones camping and use over a campfire grate.
Posted: Sep 15, 2007 11:44 pm

Crock pots rule. You dumb.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 12:12 am

ok, yes thats what i want!!! a la crueset! thank you...
whats the difference between a tangine and a la crueset?
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 12:34 am

There is this group of old dudes here who were Boy Scouts in the 70's who have a cast iron cooking/camping at the beach crew! I read about them before we moved here, look:

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/11/01/Taste/Campfire_cooking.shtml
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 12:40 am

whats the difference between a tangine and a la crueset?

Le Creuset is the brand of Dutch oven and Tagine. It's just French heavy cast iron (and other formats) enamelware that comes in purdy colors. The best orange is called "Flame", cuz it's redder at the bottom of the pieces. A "tagine" is the Morrocan cone-shaped baking thing that you bake up delightful thangs in...
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 12:42 am

Le Creuset also has outlet stores, so be on the lookout. There was one between Portland and Salem, OR. There were no crazy deals (as most outlet stores are scams, obviously) but they had sales all the time.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 3:04 am

thank you...dutch oven please...i need need need one. all the ones i've seen were like $300 or so.
sheesh. its something i'll have to wait my turn on.
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 3:53 am

you can get cast iron dutch ovens at garage sales all the time.
they're heavy as shit but they're fabulous and essential

there's a good deal to be had here:
http://www.castironcookware.com/dutch-ovens.html

with all cast iron cookware, you need to scrub it with a brillo pad first time you pop it out of its box, slather it with oil (veg oil) and bake it - to season it. it will get smoother and blacker and more seasoned w/ each use
Posted: Sep 16, 2007 10:36 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

For cast iron groupies : http://www.idos.org/
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 6:53 am

ahh....thank you....
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 6:54 am

and why are those orange colored french ones sooo special?
Posted: Sep 17, 2007 7:23 am

they're enamel over cast iron.
the enamel makes then non-reactive - very important if you're cooking with certain acidic ingredients.
the cast iron makes them heavy, which is good for a multitude of reasons including HEAT RETENTION

the cast iron vessel excels in long, low, slow stovetop cooking - i guess the culinary equivalent of "it takes a licking and keeps on ticking" (for those of us old enough to remember those commercials for TIMEX w/ john cameron swayze)

in fact, le creuset manuals tell you to use them for LOW to MEDIUM temp cooking... rather than high heat, which can damage their pretty surface.

yes, i'm gay for this cookware....
Posted: Oct 29, 2010 1:53 am | Edited by: sophie090

I appreciate the concern which is been rose. The things need to be sorted out because it is about the individual but it can be with everyone.
========
<a href="http://www.mytdesigns.com" rel="dofollow">rhinestone iron</a>
Posted: Oct 30, 2010 2:03 am

Cast iron dutch oven!
want one of those sooo bad! aren't they really expensive???
Posted: Oct 30, 2010 2:05 am

sorry for the thing above,
You can score these at indy hardware stores , military surplus stores!!!!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®