Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Pastrami v. Corn Beef
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 11:48 pm

I had some P. last night, gotta say I prefer the CB.

what's the diff, exactly, besides a buncha pepper?
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 2:08 am

Carney will have to get back to you on that one, but I too prefer the CB.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 2:18 am

A pastrami is just a smoked corned beef. Not smoked in the BBQ sense of the word but more in the "curing a ham" sense of the word. "cold smoking" is the name of the process. and usually they coat it in pepper.

a few months ago I was having some serious fantasies about making my own pastrami, but I'm afraid I'd fuck it up and that's a lot of meat to waste. I also want a deli slicer before I become engaged in such pursuits.

I think I like pastrami better than corned beef but it really depends on the context.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 2:23 am

WR is right. Pastrami is tricky to make, corned beef is easy, just brined. Just make a small test batch WR. You don't need a slicer, just get a prime rib knife. Long, thin and serrated (sp?).
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 2:59 am

i prefer pastrami -
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 4:15 am

pastrami.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 4:15 am

but i looooove corned beef.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 6:10 am

I recently made a pastrami. I've gotten into curing after reading Michael Rhulman's "Charcuterie"- and making your own bacon kicks ass on many, many levels.

I had a few batches turn out too salty, so I emailed Mr. Rhulman- he responded within 10 minutes. Nice guy it seems, the book's a great read, and curing your own meat is a fun and cheap way to eat really, really well.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 6:44 am

Why choose? Get the Woody Allen at the Carnegie Deli. It's a killer sandwich with more than 1/2 lb of each.
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 11:32 pm

It's a killer sandwich with more than 1/2 lb of each.

when does the inhuman eating machine take on NYC?
Posted: Aug 27, 2007 5:46 pm

how many NYC deli corn beef sandwiches could a human, or even an inhuman EM, eat in 24 hours? YIKES

i say the over/under is 4
Posted: Aug 27, 2007 6:10 pm

I think four is a good bet.

last time I was in NYC, I ate a pastrami on rye at Katz's deli, then got on the train going to central park. within seconds of boarding the subway I had an extreme urge to release my bowels. it took every bit of my will to not shit myself on that train. however, my misery was rewarded as I ran into the lobby of the ritz-carlton across the street from central park. I befouled possibly the nicest bathroom stall I'd ever been in.

after that experience though, I don't know if I could even finish one of those sandwiches, let alone 4 in 24 hours.
Posted: Aug 27, 2007 6:27 pm

you know you're allowed to shit in the subways here? it happens all the time!
Posted: Aug 27, 2007 10:52 pm

how many NYC deli corn beef sandwiches could a human, or even an inhuman EM, eat in 24 hours? YIKES

i say the over/under is 4

At Katz's, I could do at least 5 or 6 pastrami or corned beef sandwiches in a day, even though I always tip the guy carving so I get the best meat and the biggest portions. And I always get the fries cooked in schmaltz. But I could do 5, no problem. The sandwich there is not anywhere near as big as at the places uptown.

At the Carnegie, Stage, or Roxie, I think I could MAYBE do 2 or 3 sandwiches in a day, but I'd probably feel really crappy for a couple of days. Those things are the size of Barry Bonds' head.

Theresa, The Inhuman Eating Machine session I did in NYC a couple months ago will be published soon enough. It didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would, but it must be documented!
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 4:46 am

last time I was in NYC, I ate a pastrami on rye at Katz's deli, then got on the train going to central park. within seconds of boarding the subway I had an extreme urge to release my bowels

Next time, order the LEAN. Your body couldn't handle all that fatty goodness.

I usually can eat half a sandwich there (lean cut!) and take the other half home. And I love both corned beef and pastrami, but I gotta go with the pastrami - mustard - rye - and half sours on the side. MMMMMMmmmmmmm
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 8:24 am

The Inhuman Eating Machine session I did in NYC a couple months ago will be published soon enough. It didn't quite turn out the way I thought it would, but it must be documented!

I can't wait!

when i lived over on 2nd st./ave c, i must have gone to katz's EVERY DAY either to or from work as i took the F train that was RIGHT THERE

the pastrami sammich was always good for 2-3 meals
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 3:15 pm

damn.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 5:10 pm

the pastrami sammich was always good for 2-3 meals

It's not a bargain, but it's worth it!!! (Up to like $12 for a sandwich these days.)

And don't forget to get your dr. browns cel-ray with it.

My dad took me there when I was a kid and told me what to order and I pretty much get the same thing (except I go for the diet black cherry dr browns.)

My step mom from when I was 8 to when I was 20 (Dad's 3rd wife) was from New Iberia (where they make hot sauce!), LA. She used to crack NY deli guys up because she'd order egg salad on white and sweet tea. IT would take 15 minutes of back and forth for them to figure out to bring her an iced tea and some sugar.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 6:34 pm

Katz' rules!
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 6:39 pm

Katz's original owner was the grandfather of one of my bosses at VH1 (robert f. katz) - I was OVERJOYED when he told me this.... and instantly saddened to find out that the heirs sold the biz.
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 10:18 pm

OK TK, how do you rate LA corn beef?

I thought Art's not as good as Canter's, then somebody told me Nate 'n Al is the best ...

but Katz worth a trip, I s'pose, always
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 1:27 am

junior's is good. not sure if they are related in any way shape or form to brooklyn junior's but they're a decent deli

nate n al's is where real jewish people dine - so perhaps that's the place.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 1:49 am

the deli where larry david always goes in curb your enthusiasm-- does it actually exist? that place looked good.

thinking about going to L.A. around christmas time, just to eat food.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 1:52 am

nate n al's is where real jewish people dine - so perhaps that's the place.
Real Jewish people know you can't get really good pastrami, corned beef, or bagels in California. Jews eating at those LA delis are only eating there so they can complain and say that the delis in NY are far superior.

That being said, where are the L.A. Junior's and Nate N' Al's located? I need something to complain about on my next visit to S. California. My only LA deli experience thus far was at Canter's, which was kind of so-so.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 1:59 am

Jews eating at those LA delis are only eating there so they can complain and say that the delis in NY are far superior.

well, they don't really have that many choices!
Canter's is a "see and be seen place" and it IS open 24/7 - which has its advantages in the city that always sleeps

Junior's (since 1959)
2379 Westwood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064
(310) 475-5771

Nate n Al is actually in Beverly Hills
414 N. Beverly Drive
in the THICK OF IT - BH, that is. swimming pools, movie stars. jews.
http://www.natenal.com/
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 7:51 am

yuck.

i'll head to new york instead.

y'all got me hongry.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

you get free samples at katz'. and the samples are BIG.
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 5:39 pm | Edited by: jahna

i'll head to new york instead.

y'all got me hongry.

YEs! Come hang out with us! Y'all are welcome to crash at my place. And - if you can't come to NY - Place your order, Eric. I'll carry deli for you on the airplane to Gonerfest. Because you deserve it.

Real Jewish people know you can't get really good pastrami, corned beef, or bagels in California.

When mom and I drove up to visit my grandma in Santa Rosa, we stopped in at Saul's in Berkeley (where my mom lives) to get deli to bring. Pastrami was very fatty, but deelish. Chopped liver had sugar in it so my mom was super critical. Prices were pretty high, but in general, the food tasted pretty close to NY deli. (pretty close, so if that's all you can get, it might be worth it, but the prices were pretty insane, even compared to katz's)
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 3:04 am

refer to my "best chain subs" post- the New York Steamer features both pastrami AND corned beef- UMM UMM GOOD!
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 6:29 am

langers in l.a. has some of the best hand cut pastrami hands down. that stuff is good. but i also love corned beef although i prefer pastrami. yum.
and i gotta have cole slaw, mustard or thousand island and swiss on rye bread. and the pastrami is best cut lean.
if you are ever in l.a. you will love love love LANGERS!!!!!!
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 11:40 am

the jews live to complain. saying that jews are complaining about something has nothing to do with whether it's good or not. jews complain about their own cooking. my aunt does it all the time.
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 5:10 pm

Schwartz's Deli in Montreal smoked beef. don't pay attention to the celebrity list. just go get in line and order a medium fat (or extra fat if you really want to feel good later) and pass out from the goodness.
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 7:25 pm

I wouldn't kick a nice tounge sandwich off my table either ... on RYE
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 7:35 pm

Jahna, you're right on the money about Saul's in Berkeley. It is pretty good if that's all you can get. If someone else was paying I could really enjoy myself there. I just don't think it's worth the money. You're mostly paying for the Berkeley "Gourmet Ghetto" location. Actually, the pastrami sandwich at Max's (2 or 3 SF area locations) is tastier and bigger than Saul's and a better value. I'd wager Max's has the best NY Deli sandwich in the Bay Area. But still, none can compare to the stuff in NY. By the way, I will eat any pastrami Eric doesn't want if you bring him some to GFIV. I will repay you with any bay area foodstuff you desire.

Schwartz's in Montreal IS awesome! Their smoked beef isn't quite the same as pastrami or corned beef, but it's pretty similar and as good as the stuff you get at the best NY delis. And a lot cheaper, too. Last time I was in MTL, the line at Schwartz's was super-long and I was too hungry to wait. Instead, we went to a similar place just up the street and the smoked beef there was also great. What's that place called?
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 7:43 pm

man, at my old job there was a place around the corner with the most awesome sandwich - pastrami AND corn beef with russian dressing and cole slaw - i been jonseing for that sandwich for a year or so so i went down there the other day and the deli was closed -- total nacho crusher

generally i guess i prefer pastrami
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 12:50 am

jahna... yes yes yes.

if you think about it, god yes.

i just had visions of a giant food swap where everyone brought their own favorite sandwich/foodstuffs and traded for other peoples... don't know if that would work, but central grocery muffalettas vs ny pastrami sandwiches could be interesting!
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 1:21 am

i just had visions of a giant food swap where everyone brought their own favorite sandwich/foodstuffs and traded for other peoples... don't know if that would work, but central grocery muffalettas vs ny pastrami sandwiches could be interesting!
I just had this vision and I almost soiled myself in delight.... You get a Katz's pastrami on rye, then you take the bottom bun off an A&R (or if your prefer, Payne's) pulled pork and then you set it on top of the Katz's sandwich creating a triple-decker masterpiece I like to call, "The Jew and the Gentile."
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 1:32 am

"The Jew and the Gentile."

first recipe for the second edition goner cookbook?
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 2:55 am

i am also a jew and i love me some tongue. my grandma made the best damn tongue around...
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 6:37 am

ooh. wow. whoah.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 7:17 am

ok. i didn't mean it to sound all nasy tarded. i'm eeewwww-ing at myself now. gross...
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 7:17 am

or you just makin it sound that way...ugh.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 11:24 am

ok.... its 3:30 and you all got me jonesing for pastrami vs. corned beef. i guess i'm going to canters NOW cuz we ain't got no good delis in SB and i just happen to be in LA at this very moment
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 2:48 pm

are you back at the apt. on spaulding?
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 5:48 pm

jahna... yes yes yes.

if you think about it, god yes.

If I can figure out how to transport it without ending up being the girl who smells like cured meats all weekend... (hmmm, that might attract a whole new category of men)... You got it!

By the way, I will eat any pastrami Eric doesn't want if you bring him some to GFIV. I will repay you with any bay area foodstuff you desire.

I'm going to be in Berkeley (and MOnterery and Santa Cruz) for family stuff and my friend Sue & Ben's wedding in October, so no left coast food for me. But, if Eric is willing to share... I will bring lots.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 6:11 pm

I dunno about the J&G pork/pastrami special.

I'd much rather do turkey/corned beef/russian dressing/cole slaw.

Canter's has that good whitefish plate, what a deal!
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 6:38 pm

- tk has put this tune in my head (sung in best Eddie Grant with a yiddish accent voice)

we gonna walk down to
Fairfax Avenue
and then we go to Canters
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 6:50 pm

HEE-HAW!!!
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 7:11 pm

If I can figure out how to transport it without ending up being the girl who smells like cured meats all weekend... (hmmm, that might attract a whole new category of men)... You got it!
I always "keester" my cold cuts, if you know what I mean. Works like a charm.

Drop us a line when you're out here and we'll hang out, if you have time.
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 9:42 pm | Edited by: miss linda

I've always thought "corned beef" was ground beef with corn in it, and I've enjoyed tossing some cabbage in there on St.Patrick's Day, until I saw something in the deli display case at Kroger called "Corned Beef" that didn't resemble anything I've ever made at home, so I tried some,and it was HORRIBLE!
I don't see how you can make yourselves eat that garbage!
Posted: Aug 31, 2007 9:52 pm | Edited by: miss linda

Here's my recipe for Corned Beef:

1 lb. ground beef
2 16 oz cans of corn(undrained)
3 16 oz cans of sour kraut(undrained)

Cook & crumble ground beef until brown, in in a 3 quart pot
do Not drain!
add corn & sourkraut and bring to a boil
cover, and let simmer for 1 hour

DELICIOUS!
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 12:16 am

Drop us a line when you're out here and we'll hang out, if you have time.

That sounds cool! Right now, I'm focused on making travel plans for GFIV. When I have all that worked out, then I have to figure out how to pay to get to CA.
Posted: Sep 1, 2007 7:04 am

bazooka - i was just there for a day to hang w/ old pals who flew in from the UK. i was in the renaissance hotel, actually when i wrote that. then i walked down to fairfax avenue

I have to figure out how to pay to get to CA.

take paid-in-advance orders for NY deli food. aggregate service charges to equal plane fare from newark to oakland....
Posted: Sep 5, 2007 9:10 pm | Edited by: nicks name

Pastrami! But now that I know how closely it's related to Corned Beef, I'll have to try a pastrami rueben! Maybe this was discussed. Let's be honest, that's a lot to read about deli meat....
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 1:59 am

Pastrami. Always.

Katz's is good, but I always prefered Second Ave. Deli when it was around. They even gave Al Goldstein a job after he was booted from Screw mag and homeless. They say it is re-opening in October on 3rd and 33rd.

Sarge's on 37th an 3rd makes thier own Pastrami and is a good spot if you like "fatty". Open 24 hours too, I believe.

Womb R. > sounds like your sudden need to evacuate was a case of Jew Belly. I have seen grown men paralyzed on the street from it.

I was acutally thinking about the pastrami making myself the other day. I came across this...
http://virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html

Happy 5768.
Posted: Sep 9, 2007 5:58 am

Sarge's on 37th an 3rd makes thier own Pastrami and is a good spot if you like "fatty". Open 24 hours too, I believe.

i love sarge's. i forgot all about them til just now. their goulash RULES
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®