Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Favorite Cookbook/Books on Food and Drink?
Posted: Aug 17, 2007 7:40 pm

I know we had this thread awhile back, but times change and we all pick up new tomes out of the bargain bin. I am especially interested if anyone has any books about coffee and tea they would reccommend.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 6:26 pm

One of my very favorites is Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art by Shizuo Tsuji. Has a textbook quality that I like.

Also, Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 7:01 pm

Anyone have any Syrian cookbooks? The best Middle Eastern restaurant in PDX was run by Syrians...
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Also, Classic Indian Cooking by Julie Sahni.

that is a classic! so is her vegetarian indian volume

alas saispas --- i have seen no good books about coffee and/or tea that were enlightening. just plenty w/ lovely photos.
Posted: Aug 18, 2007 8:58 pm

Some guy on CoffeeGeek.com actually suggested as a "must own" some ancient book that retails used for approx $1000 at its cheapest.
Posted: Aug 20, 2007 11:08 pm

My favorite cookbook is 'All About braising' by Molly Stevens. Everything I have ever made out of it has turned out excellent.
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 12:42 am

some cookbooks i have relied upon:

gourmet compendiums from 1954 and 1955 (lots of BUTTER)
a good housekeeping collection of recipes for COOKIES & CONFECTIONS
julia child's the way to cook is invaluable

i used to buy just about every cookbook i saw - but that collecting soon got out of had... i never really relied on anything other than those 3 above. except i still do get all the magazines -- gourmet, bon appetit, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 6:43 pm

I like (today)

Rick Bayless' Mexican Everyday
Posted: Aug 21, 2007 7:31 pm

I like the Mark Bittman book for re-looking up simple facts I can't retain in my noggin. also the old-school Betty Crocker cookbook for the same reason.

for actual cooking, my current faves are the Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook (still), the Silver Spoon (gotten raves for simple things I've made from here), Nigella's Feast, and ye olde Gourmet/Cooking Light/Martha Stewart compendiums. the Waldorf Astoria cookbook is also actually really, really good! and for baking, you can't beat the Bake Sale Cookbook that Chronicle just published.

for dreaming, the Edna Peacock books, and my newest fave, Pork & Sons. I swear, once it cools off, I am trying some of those recipes!
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 3:48 am

Rick Bayless' Mexican Everyday

LOVE.

Nigella's Feast

I think all of hers are cool...but is this the one with the Sour Cream Cherry Sorbet? Best thing EVER!

I love the Junior League Centennial Cookbook always, and Amy Sedaris "I Like You" has really been awesome lately...and so damn much fun to peruse...I would have killed to be her makeup artist for those photos. Try the Peppercorn Cheese Ball if you haven't.

You know what I need though? A really nice crock-pot or slow cooker book for fall....anybody?
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 4:00 am

How to Cook Everything is indeed a good one, but we bought the new (2 years back) Gourmet cookbook and it has taken its place really...their recipes are better in general.

I Like You is more of a Bible, a way of life. I am amazed by that book!!!!

I have a good one for the slow cooker--The Gourmet Slow Cooker--recipes by COUNTRY!!!! The Tarragon Chicken recipe is fantastic.

Andria, I need to check out most of your list!

The Women's Exchange (Memphis) cookbook is a good one I have; it is circa 1966 and has excellent baking recipes.

Gordon Ramsay's A Passion for Seafood is great...but OOP, I think.
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 4:16 am

diana kennedy's mexican cookery books are pretty fab

the cuisines of mexico
my mexico
from my mexican kitchen
and on...
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 4:16 am

I have a good one for the slow cooker--The Gourmet Slow Cooker--recipes by COUNTRY!!!! The Tarragon Chicken recipe is fantastic.

Must get! Thank you.

Gotta admit, I'm more inclined to hit epicurious.com than open a cookbook lately, esp. if I have one special ingredient I'm trying to build something around.
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 4:29 am

I have been getting stuff from interlibrary loan--our library is so sad next to what I was used to in PDX. But the interlibrary loan program has given me access to some great libraries from the richie poo counties to our south.

I got most of the Ramsay books today--pretty complicated honestly, but there is some delectable stuff in there, including some interesting deserts.

Anyone know of a good Indian cookbook???
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 4:56 am

Madhur Jaffrey - Quick and Easy Indian Cooking
Posted: Aug 24, 2007 5:19 am

and the aforementioned julie sahni

madhur jaffrey has a spectacular restaurant in NYC - its on 58th st on the east side - 2nd ave - i can't remember its name - but i've eaten there 3-4 times and never one moment of disappointment.
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 5:05 pm

The new Lee Brothers Southern Cookbook is great, but not in the bargain bin yet. Lots of pork shoulder recipes and good drinks. Lots of Charleston stuff (and to tie it to another thread on another board, Garden and Gun is mentioned).
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 7:31 pm

We got a Minimalist book at half-price, it looks really good but kinda bland in execution.

still, the speed thing is a-OK with me, i'm too beat most of the time to spend a lot of time w/preparation. also, too many cocktails
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 11:45 pm

Posted: Aug 31, 2007 1:30 am

damn......I want flan.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®