Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / What do YOU do with Shrimp?
Posted: Jul 22, 2007 9:24 pm

I am so into them right now, it is positively ridic. They taste particularly good in these parts (Gulf Shrimp) and are expectedly CHEAP.

Anyone have any favorite shrimp recipes they'd care to share?
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 2:24 am

Vietnamese style. We had some last night. Fondue style in HOT vinegar, then wrap with fresh lettuce, vermicelli noodles, mint, basil, pickled diakon and pickled carrots.... it is labor intensive but really wonderful!
Gulf shrimp are the best.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 2:29 am

we had them last night grilled (on the grillin part of the stove) shells and heads on. They were a super bitch to peel but tasted deee-lish. I am lazy so I guess I lkes em boiled cause the shell comes off easiest.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 3:49 am

peeled & sauteed.

ginger, tamari and lemon

or

a lot of garlic, some basil and a little butter
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 2:44 pm | Edited by: saispas

Ryan ended up making Barbeque Shrimp from a recent issue of Saveur...EASY and amazing. We used Key West Pink shrimp (SOOOO GOOD).

Here is the recipe (someone's blog with pix):

http://sseichinger.blogspot.com/2007/03/saveur-shrimp.html
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 3:14 pm

Mexican shrimp cocktails, ceviche, ettoufee, gumbo, shrimp diablo (wrapped in bacon stuffed in a jalepeno), bbq, shrimp louie...
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 4:14 pm

I'm a shrimp po boy freak.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 5:25 pm

Sautee in some sweet hot chili sauce. Deeee-lish.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 7:23 pm

Throw it under the table.
Posted: Jul 23, 2007 11:34 pm

I don't know that it's a good enough reason to move there, but if i lived on the Gulf I'd be eating shrimp like a demon. There is just no comparison to the 'farm raised' frozen imports we get out here.

I definitely prefer cooking 'em in the shell, tho, despite the peeling hassle, they just seem to taste better that way
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 12:05 am

I'm a shrimp po boy freak.

Me too. That was going to be my contribution. And, if you've got cheap Gulf shrimp you can load em up!
(Oyster po boys are even better.)

I love shrimp and cheese omelettes.
And, cheese grits with shrimp on top.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 12:46 am

I love shrimp and cheese omelettes.

heck yes! and even better, saute the shrimp and use them with cheese as enchilada filling. ohhhhhhhh yeah...
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 1:04 am

You can get regular gulf shrimp cheap here; we spent a tad more (but not much) for the Key West Pinks we used for BBQ shrimp, which are SUPER flavorful. If you ever get a chance for those, get em. Sorta smallish size, but no matter.

We always peel and devein for shrimp recipes where there is a lot of sauce, but I love peel em-and-eat em shrimp made in a crab/shrimp boil.

How you keep the batter on the shrimps? Any batter recipes?
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 2:37 am

heck yes! and even better,

we have similar palates, bazooka joe.
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 2:52 am

I'm lazy, so I buy them cooked. Then I throw them in a big bowl with little orange, red and yellow tomatoes cut in half and a whole bunch of cilantro and lime juice. Nummers!
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 3:40 am

we have similar palates, bazooka joe.

i ain't no artiste!
Posted: Jul 24, 2007 11:01 pm

See that 101 recipes for summer in The Minimalist column of the NY Times? GREAT LIST.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/dining/18mini.html?em&ex=1185422400& en=fef4c6edad278af0&ei=5087%0A

I am doing the white beans, shrimp, thyme, garlic thingee tonight.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 11:14 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

There's nothing better than steak and shrimp. When I hit up the local Mexican joint, I get Camarones y Carne Asada, which is a weak excuse for steak, but still pretty damn good.

There's a fancier Mexican restaurant with Steak and Shrimp Mojo, and that shit is killer! The steak is still pretty weak.

I also enjoy Caldo de Siete Mares from time to time. Get that made the right way and you'll have a couple or quartet of black shrimp eyeballs lookin at ya.

At home, I feel there's nothing better than steak and shrimp. Typically marinate my shrimp in lemon juice and garlic, marinate the steak in soy sauce, sesame oil, wooster sauce, garlic and ginger.

I put the steak (2" tenderloin) on the grill. Eye it 'til it's ready to flip. Flip it.

Then go start your pan-fried shrimp. Coat your hot pan with olive oil (throw in some hot sesame oil too), toss in yer shrimps, shake frequently (it's best to have one man on the shrimp, one man on the steak).

If you know what you're doing you'll have some Mexican rice ready, plop a little of that, a hunk of tenderloin and a handful of shrimp on your plate and love life!
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 11:22 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Oh yeah, for the 6th part of my post, when it comes to pan fried shrimp, do yourself a favor and put some butter in there too. A little oil, and a lotta butter.

And have lemons on hand.
Posted: Jul 25, 2007 2:12 pm

There was this great shrimp dish everywhere in Mexico; something like Camarones de Ajo...garlic,olive oil, wine, lime pepper flakes, shrimp...
Posted: Jun 13, 2019 7:21 pm

I usually use one of these recipes, they all are very easy and quick, but so delicious! [url=https://club.cooking/recipe-category/shrimp/][/url]
Posted: Jun 15, 2019 4:18 pm | Edited by: MiniCake

Great recipes, thanks!
Posted: Jul 2, 2019 12:47 pm

i truly love the coconut walnut shrimp at chinese buffets.
Posted: Jul 30, 2019 12:07 am

I can recommend this recipe [url=https://club.cooking/recipe/shrimp-fra-diavolo/][/url], my favorite with shrimps :)

[imgs=https://club.cooking/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Shrimp-Fra-Diavolo-03-kvadrat.j pg]Shrimp Fra Diavolo[/imgs]
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®