Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / San Francisco eats?
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 10:59 pm

Anyone got recommendations for good restaurants or good cheap eats in SF? I've been trying a bunch of places but could use some more help.

Here's what I've checked out so far ...

*Limon - peruvian joint on mission st. awesome food but expensive
*Puerto Allegre - ruled
*Cancun - ruled
*Burma Superstar - killer burmese on clement st. i tried the burmese in new york but it was nothing like this.
*Tu Lan - vietnamese on 6th and market. good lunch spot.
*Zeitgeist - awesome kielbasa

I tried a couple of sushi places but I wasn't blown away. Someone recommended Sushi Zone on Pearl St. Any other leads?
Posted: Jun 8, 2007 11:05 pm

Pauline's pizza (Valencia near Zeitgeist) is delicious.
Posted: Jun 9, 2007 12:09 am

i hope SFers don't slam this one as a hackneyed cliche, but i like Mama's on Washington Square (in the cheap eats category):

1701 Stockton St, San Francisco, CA, 94133-2914
Phone: (415) 362-6421
Cross Street: Filbert Street

also - the Fairmont Hotel makes a mean roast beef sandwich that goes so well with their vichysoisse. don't think its cheap, tho
Posted: Jun 9, 2007 2:18 am

BurgerMeister On Church St at Duboce near Fillmore

Annie's Hot Dog's & Pretzel's on Market at the cable car turnaround

Delisso Market & Bakery - Great home cooked type meals. Also on Market near Otis.
Posted: Jun 9, 2007 4:19 am

The Yellow Submarine in the Sunset. Haven't eaten there for a decade but the toasted subs were great.
Posted: Jun 9, 2007 4:24 am

For Sushi, check out these two places:

Red Box Sushi- 581 Eddy at Larkin (and order the Fried Tuna balls- awesome!)

Ryoko- 619 Taylor at Post

In other cheap eats categories:

Emmy's Spaghetti Shack- Kinda like what it sounds like

Weird fish- 2193 Mission Street- Fish and chips, grilled fish, good sides

El Farolito Taqueria 2777 Mission Street- I personally like this better than Cancun

Picaro- 3120 16th Street- This is a tapas place, but the plates are pretty big, they have awesome sangria, and the garlic dip for the bread rules.

A La Turca 869 Geary Street - Great Turkish spot, not expensive at all.

And yes Theresa, Mama's is really good.
Posted: Jun 9, 2007 4:28 am

and that part of mission street (and the surrounding area) is chock-full of taquerias

for a curiosity: church of st. peter and st. paul is at 666 filbert st.
you don't see the 666 - but the 664 and 668 addresses of different entry doors of the church are pretty visible, making it all too clear....

i discovered this on a post-mama's brunch stroll
Posted: Jun 10, 2007 4:01 am

Where do they make Rice-A-Roni?
Posted: Jun 10, 2007 8:43 am

is axum cafe on haight still around? i remember eating there and really liking it. they had this weird gumbo-like stuff that i really dug. it's an ethiopian place. pretty good. but i haven't been to sf in 10 years so it may not even still be there.
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 1:44 am

Cancun burritos: 19th and mission--cheap! Farrlito is awesome too.
we be sushi: one near 17th and valencia, and then one near 26th and valencia ---cheap and decent!
valencia pasta and pizza: corner of valencia and 19th. lots of food, very reasonable!
brunch: squat and gobble---a bit expensive, but damn good for brunch! (on haight and steiner)
yes, puerto allegre is great---best salsa! and margaritas!
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 4:03 am

steiner

somewhere along steiner, i'm pretty sure its steiner.... there's that view with the victorian houses in the foreground and the rest of the city, including high rises, etc... one of those great juxtaposition views....

what's the cross street on steiner? anyone know?

ALSO - near pac bell park (south of it) - the industrialized part of town, there's triangle diner... i hope its still there.. its one of those old skool lunch counter places, not unlike my uncle's old joint in chicago
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 5:08 am

Yes! Valencia Pizza Pasta (aka Sammy's) is great!

I really like Charanga on Mission between 20th and 21st. Not cheap, but really, really good.

Mitchell's Mexican Chocolate icecream!!!!!

Taqueria Altena is real good. Get the Quesadilla Suiza. On Mission between 22nd and 23rd.

Serrano's Pizza on 21st between Mission and Valencia.

Jocelyn's Salvadoran bakery on 20th between Mission and Valencia has RAD Salvadoran style Quesadillas. More like sweet cheesy cornbread, and awesome for a breakfast snack with coffee.

Woooo! I'm missin' The Mission.
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 7:49 am

Best food I've had in the gay area was in Oakland.
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 9:04 am

Torta Boos Voni (aka Bugs Bunny)- 5127 Mission
The tortas are insanely good and bigger than your head. They're Mexico City-style, which means huge tortas with crazy combinations. The Cubana comes with: milanesa, pierna, ham, bacon, chicken, a fried egg, salchicha, chorizo, jalapeno, lettuce, tomato, queso fresco, and avocado.

Cordon Bleu- 1574 California St @ Polk
It's Vietnamese, but it's not the usual stuff. It's a tiny place with maybe 8 stools at the counter and a couple of tables. All they serve is 5-spice chicken, fried imperial rolls, "shish kebab" (grilled, marinated pork slices), country cabbage salad, and rice with meat sauce. They're all amazing. Get the #5 and you get all of those items together on one plate for like $8. For most people, it's enough food for 2 meals.
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 4:27 pm

The tortas are insanely good and bigger than your head. They're Mexico City-style, which means huge tortas with crazy combinations. The Cubana comes with: milanesa, pierna, ham, bacon, chicken, a fried egg, salchicha, chorizo, jalapeno, lettuce, tomato, queso fresco, and avocado.
This sounds like a dream I once had.
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 7:01 pm

Thanks! This all sounds great. I've been surprised that all the pizza I've had here so far has actually been pretty damn good. Arinelli on Valencia is total NY style slices. I grabbed a couple slices from Go-Getter off Market and Van Ness (I think) last night and that was good too. Pauline's is just a couple blocks from me but I haven't tried it yet.

Stoked to try all these places out. I wandered by Mama's last night Theresa. Wish I'd seen your recommendation beforehand!
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Chinese at Gourmet Carousel on Franklin at Pine is just about the best going, esp. at those prices.
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 7:31 pm

somewhere along steiner, i'm pretty sure its steiner.... there's that view with the victorian houses in the foreground and the rest of the city, including high rises, etc... one of those great juxtaposition views....

what's the cross street on steiner? anyone know?

that's the south end of Alamo Square park between hayes and grove

and it may be touristy but i fucking love House of Nan King - and ask dude to pick out your food - you'll be more stoked that way
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 7:35 pm

and get a marquez sausage at Rosamonde next to Toronado
Posted: Jun 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Two of my favorites:

Shalimar:

532 Jones, just off O'Farrell: Cheap and amazing Indian and Pakistani food.

Hard Knox Cafe:

2526 3rd St. off 22nd. Fantastic Southern soul food, believe it or not. The Dogpatch on the corner is a cool neighborhood bar and has good jazz on Sundays.
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 6:49 am

When I'm in the hilly city and I feel like roughing it hippy style, I head down to the warf to Gary Danko's restaruant. It's only, get this, $100 clams PER PERSON!!!! Can you believe???!!! My dog eats better than that! The food is good for hippies, and the view is good too. Your really paying for the view. The wine is ok but isn't wine all the same after the 3rd glass anyway? I mean, c'mon! It aint no APPLE MARTINI in Manhattan right?!!! Am I right people???!!

here's the link!

http://www.garydanko.com/flash/GaryDanko.html

You can thank me later by buying my perfume today!
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 11:22 am

really paying for the view

i'd be happy to pay to view of your hairless crotch.
cross those skinny minnie legs.

come on princess
you need to show those up and comming twats
whata prime gash is all about.
Posted: Jun 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Shalimar:

532 Jones, just off O'Farrell: Cheap and amazing Indian and Pakistani food.

co-signed and you should check out

Tu Lan on 6th between market and mission -- awesome and cheap vietnamese
hookorcrook
Posted: Jun 13, 2007 8:22 pm

Best food I've had in the gay area was in Oakland.

that's crazy talk. the food is the only thing i miss about living in sf (having moved to oakland).
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®