Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / potato salad secrets
Posted: May 24, 2007 1:02 pm

got any to share..
Posted: May 24, 2007 2:38 pm

Potato salad is all about the balance of ingredients. I like mayo with just a little mustard. Celery and onions, salt and pepper. A little pickle or pickled jalapeno juice is a good addition. No eggs, no sweet pickles.
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:11 pm

Coleman's dry mustard and cut the mayo with plain yogurt. I think I usually put a little Louisiana hot sauce in there too.
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:14 pm

Louisiana hot sauce

Yes.
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:16 pm

There's a semi-famous (food network) bbq place here called the SAlt Lick. It's out in Driftwood, nice place but a little touristy. Their side dishes all have a weird almost asian touch. The potato salad is potatoes and dill pickle juice. Maybe a little salt and pepper, but that's it. Their slaw is a vinegar based, no mayo. The bbq is ok, but in a weird way I like their sides.
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:31 pm

No eggs

fuck that shit. worst advice ever.
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:34 pm

hot pepper relish... eggs are crucial... in fact, just make egg salad!
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:40 pm

haha!
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:44 pm

fuck that shit. worst advice ever.

Yankee.

eggs are crucial... in fact, just make egg salad!

Boiled eggs are the devil.
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:46 pm | Edited by: elle

cut the mayo with plain yogurt.

like to do that too. amps up the taste just a little. also like to put fresh dill in mine as well. don't use any eggs in mine either. i usually add a little bit of lemon juice in as well. and some chopped onions and celery.
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:48 pm

Boiled eggs are the devil.

no, deviled eggs are the devil. duh!
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:50 pm

Potato salad is gross and I don't know what is wrong with you people.
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:55 pm

Potato salad is gross

i take it back. stands is the devil.
Posted: May 24, 2007 3:56 pm

Potato salad is gross

nah, celery and sweet pickles are gross, and everybody wants to put it in there!
Posted: May 24, 2007 4:08 pm

nah, celery and sweet pickles are gross,

i'll agree with the sweet pickles part, but celery rules!

going to PA tonight, staying with 16's ma... she's making her killer PA Dutch style bidaydo salad AND fried chicken too.

FUCKIN" A!!!
Posted: May 24, 2007 4:49 pm

I usually put dijon mustard and jalapeno pickles in mine. Light on the mayo.
Posted: May 24, 2007 5:03 pm

going to PA tonight, staying with 16's ma... she's making her killer PA Dutch style bidaydo salad AND fried chicken too.

I need some fried chicken.

I like celery cooked, but pretty much wanna stab people if I accidentally eat it raw. Ick.

dijon mustard !!!!!
Posted: May 24, 2007 5:10 pm

I like celery cooked, but pretty much wanna stab people if I accidentally eat it raw. Ick.

just like me, but in reverse.
Posted: May 24, 2007 5:32 pm

Raw celery with peanut butter on it is yummy. Windy packed some in my lunch just lask week. I was one happy kid!
Posted: May 24, 2007 5:37 pm

aw celery with peanut butter on it is yummy.

or cream cheese!
Posted: May 24, 2007 5:50 pm

aw celery with peanut butter on it is yummy.

or cream cheese!

Dear Baby Jesus,
Forgive these fucking weirdos.

Your pal,
Jack
Posted: May 24, 2007 5:52 pm

You've seen it here first, folks! the devil, disguised as jesus, asking jesus for favors!
Posted: May 24, 2007 5:54 pm

Dad told me you're on Satan's guest list, Joe.
Posted: May 24, 2007 5:58 pm

BACON, and skins on for pete's sake.
Posted: May 24, 2007 6:10 pm

BACON, and skins on for pete's sake.

For a good variation, use little red potatoes and mix them with bacon, celery onion, salt/pepper and good mayo or even ranch dressing.
Posted: May 24, 2007 6:47 pm

Forgive these fucking weirdos.

this from a guy with a haircut and beard of a homeless man.
Posted: May 24, 2007 11:11 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

I like mine with green salad olives( you know ,the smushed kind) and some juice from the jar of olives. Also onions chopped in to teeny tiny bits.
Posted: May 25, 2007 3:42 am

Steam the potatoes with the skins on. Very, very light on the mayo or Vegenaise. Green onion and very, very thinly sliced celery. Black olives, sliced. Squeeze in a little lemon. That's it!
Posted: May 25, 2007 4:15 am

Cook the potatoes then sprinkle several tablespoons of cider vinegar on em while still warm then dress however you like. It surely makes a difference.

Boiled eggs in anything are poison.
Posted: May 25, 2007 5:49 am

All of these recipes sound like they'd make great tuna salad.
Posted: May 25, 2007 10:29 pm

nooooo

not the pickle juice

NOT the pickle juice!!!!
Posted: May 27, 2007 6:07 am

bacon is the total secret ingredient for potato salad.
Posted: May 27, 2007 5:27 pm

Mayo
Creole Mustard
Red Onion
Green Onion
Red Wine Vinegar
Roast Garlic
Posted: May 27, 2007 6:46 pm

well, you have here your oil/fat school of taste bud, and your vinegar school of taste bud.

i like them both; have a place in my heart and palate for both... but potato salad begs the question: are you taking it on a picnic or out/away from home? if so.... please consider the VINEGAR options of dressing the salad! unless you have a great cooler and the potato salad doesn't sit on a blanket or picnic table. nothing more gross (or potentially food poisonous [ie: NO eggs!] than mayo that's hot, been sitting in the sun)

potatoes... magic, versatile ingredient for salad. i like the yukons or reds for salad.... a much more important issue to me than acid vs. grease.... although bacon in any food is heavenly.

my ideal potato salad would be:
boiled yukon gold or red new potatoes
salad dressing of bacon drippings, either cider or rice wine vinegar
bacon crumbled

alternatively, for controlled temperature situations
potatoes with strained, drained plain yogurt, dill weed, salt & pepper and little else
Posted: May 29, 2007 1:57 pm

Always add radishes!
Posted: May 29, 2007 11:54 pm

hey windy what was the kind dad used to make? for the competitions. that shit was way good
Posted: May 30, 2007 8:06 pm

NO MAYO!! Always ruins a perfectly good potato salad!!! Vinegar, dill, dry mustard, red potatoes and, of course, BACON!!
Posted: May 30, 2007 9:02 pm

I talked Rachael Hicks into putting blue food coloring, and Marijuana in the potato salad we made for a party. At first people wouldn't eat it because it was blue, but when we informed the reluctant guests about our secret illeagal ingriedient, it was finally consumed.
Posted: May 30, 2007 10:17 pm

ha! we used to do a "red white & blue" picnic on the 4th of july... always made blue potato salad. back in 1977 when we started this, people were spiking the food w/ acid, though
Posted: May 31, 2007 1:55 am

[i]hey windy what was the kind dad used to make? for the competitions. that shit was way good[i]

the bacon/ ranch stuff? Is it the stuff he has at the restaurant? if so he buys it it's called baked potato or some such.
Posted: May 31, 2007 6:46 pm

spiking the food w/ acid, though

Sounds Dangerous.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 7:54 pm

I can't believe Veganaise was mentioned in here and the poster hasn't been banned. Shameful, fellow Goners.
Posted: Jun 1, 2007 8:03 pm | Edited by: miss linda

Veganaise ROCKS!
Especially Blue Veganaise
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®