Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / corned beef hash.
Posted: May 7, 2007 7:48 am

it looks and smells just like dog food..but i like it. Especially with some A-1. How does you all do up your CBH..? cuz i need some advice.
Posted: May 7, 2007 5:55 pm

that looked like a long time ago.
Posted: May 7, 2007 6:07 pm

just trying to give you quick answers. SHEESH!
Posted: May 7, 2007 8:45 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Canned CBH, I like to slice it into discs and fry it in some oil. I used to try spreading it out in the pan, but it always stuck that way. It's gotta have a good crust on it for it to be called done. I like Tabasco on top just fine when I'm eating out, Louisiana, Crystal, Tapatio, Valentino's, Cholula, whatever ya got...

The joint I mentioned in that post at the top of that search up there (Alfred's Cafe in Tacoma) has the good stuff. Big hunks of corned beef that still looks like corned beef lightly sauted with onions and served along side some hash browns with 2 eggs on top. I suggest something with a runny yolk so it drips down onto the hashes when you pop it with your fork.
Posted: May 7, 2007 8:52 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

Canned CBH, I like to slice it into discs and fry it in some oil.

How do you get it out of the can like that? It doesn't just slide out!
Runny yolk all over the hash is eee-ssential!
Posted: May 7, 2007 9:32 pm | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Sometimes just punching a triangle hole in the ass end with the appropriate tool does the trick, I usually just go ahead and open both ends with a can opener.
Posted: May 7, 2007 11:35 pm

i had corned beef hash for the first time EVER in 1995, at the brown hotel in louisville, KY when i was forced by my work to go to the kentucky derby. it was superb. the brown and the seelbach are the two high-end hotels in an otherwise very chain-oriented town. when i had CBH afterwards elsewhere, man was i disappointed. dog food indeed! brown's used shredded roast beef... some kind of nifty yukon gold potato treatment....i would go to louisville just for the CBH.

i think i will have to make some myself soon.
Posted: May 7, 2007 11:47 pm

Theresa, I hear ya... that canned stuff just hasn't measured up since the time one of my local breakfast joints made it from scratch.. musta had too much of the roast beef speacial left over... I'd never before tasted that nice char flaver in the hash... now I have a new breakfast joint, this one walking distance that serves daily corned beef hash made from scratch... not quite the revelation the first time had it not from a can but damn fine chow nonetheless...
Posted: May 8, 2007 12:19 am

Canned is my favorie. I prefer it over fresh.
Posted: May 8, 2007 12:26 am

fovor-ite!
Posted: May 8, 2007 12:27 am

fAvorite!

DAMN!
Posted: May 8, 2007 2:40 am

better watch out, Joe.. there's been poison in that there dog food...
Posted: May 8, 2007 2:52 am

I was enjoying some CBH in an institutional setting recently and horror of all horrors, they supplemented the beef content with roast beef cubes from the night before. I had to pluck those nasty brown hunks out of my precious red corned beef before I could enjoy it.

Never had straight roast beef hash like TK and grrtch talk about.
Posted: May 8, 2007 2:54 am | Edited by: SSSSSSS

Oh, Dutch Herc, another way I like CBH is half a plate of the hash coupled with half a plate of greens, mmmmm. Mustard, collard, turnip, what have you.

A fair amount of hot sauce or pepper vinegar on both.
Posted: May 8, 2007 4:38 am

Never had straight roast beef hash like TK and grrtch talk about.

come to goner fest. i'll get someone to donate their kitchen for a night and i will make fresh CBH for everyone from a giant roast beast that i guess i'm going to be cooking for some lucky persons the night before!
Posted: May 8, 2007 6:19 pm

IDK, I'm kinda grossed out by the thought of roast beef hash. Open face hot roast beef sandwiches on the other hand...Mmmmmm
Posted: May 10, 2007 2:59 am

i make homemade corned beef hash. its better that way.
Posted: May 10, 2007 2:59 am

RAPE!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®