Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / dumb beer question
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 6:35 am

Can expired beer really do you an badness? I've heard rumors boasting both sides of the "old beer is deadly/harmless" argument.

So...if I throw back six or seven Killians that expired on New Years Eve, will I get sick, puke, die, or grow a third arm?
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 6:36 am

*any badness
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 6:58 am

usually it will just taste skunky. i doubt you will die necessarily. especially if it only expired on new years eve. now if it expired 5 years ago, then maybe you might have some major malfunctions, but i wouldn't worry about much else except the possibility of it tasting nasty. most beer won't get really terrible anywhere near the expiration date except tastewise because the pH level of it is pretty low and the alcohol content of it high enough to kill most bacteria unless the cap is tampered with.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 12:24 pm

that's why I like to drink wiskey and wine
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 10:16 pm | Edited by: T J Honeysuckle

Last weekend I drank two bottles of a homebrewed stout that had been in the bottle for 18 months. No pastuerisation, no nothing- these were live brews that were still fermenting when I put the caps on them all that time ago.
They were delicious. No side effects.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 10:18 pm

there are no dumb beer questions.
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 10:29 pm

Beers have expiration dates?
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 11:37 pm

Beers have expiration dates?
It's the law here. Everything has to have one printed on it, even canned goods that will last for decades.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 2:48 am

I'm sure if beer could kill, I'd have been dead about fifteen years ago.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 9:38 pm

The only really bad beers I've ever had were always on tap. If the tap's not properly sealed the whole keg can go bad.
Posted: Mar 5, 2007 9:42 pm

The only really bad beers I've ever had were always on tap. If the tap's not properly sealed the whole keg can go bad.

Yep, and when that tap is just right- OH MAN! It's always expensive places that have the great tasting beer though. Is it really that hard to get it right?
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 6:39 pm

ive got a can of mardi gras beer
from 1984..think thats still good?
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 9:44 pm

The worst is when you get a bad pitcher at some crappy little watering hole in, say, Marquette, Michigan, and your friends all think it tastes fine, as you try to point out that there is absolutely NO head and it tastes rancid.

Obviously, this has happened to me.
Posted: Mar 6, 2007 9:46 pm

some crappy little watering hole in, say, Marquette, Michigan

uhmm, would this happen to be the same one that jim harrison is known to often frequent?
Posted: Mar 7, 2007 5:44 am

yeah, i'd like to see a BILLY BEER drink-off.

pop the thing, pour down throat, hope it's still liquid.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®