Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Best way to save/store Bacon grease?
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 7:29 pm

hmmmm?
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 7:34 pm

Posted: Feb 14, 2007 7:43 pm

oh sister, this is MY kind of post. I keep bacon grease as well, a trait handed down from my mother, from her mother and her mother before her. probably before that as well. mine is in an old coffee can and rests in the fridge until ready for use.
my favorite uses for bacon grease:

i fry eggs in butter and bacon grease - unbelievable. i love to sop up the plate with buttered toast.

i add a dollop (generous) to mashed potatoes - it's incredible if you've never had it. add it after the potatoes are mashed but still hot - any little bacon bits that might make their way into the potatoes are a welcomed delight.

i love to fry thick slices of garden tomato in bacon grease - that's a depression era treat according to my grandparents, and i love it.

and most importantly, i use it to make gravy. some people use butter and flour to make their roux; i use bacon grease and flour. makes all the difference in the world. best. gravy. ever. and completely suited for homemade biscuits...

this must be why i'm not skinny.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm

I keep mine in whatever spare container is laying around.

the important thing is to keep in in the fridge. otherwise it goes rancid eventually. or critters get into it.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 7:46 pm

put that shit in a mason jar. you can also put that shit in an old planters peanut jar. DO NOT put it in an old coffee can.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 7:52 pm

my grandma always put it in a coffe can. what's wrong with it?
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 8:06 pm

My dad used to keep a special cast iron skillet especially for frying bacon with the grease stored in that and he kept it in the oven. If he needed some for frying etc, he'd just slop it out of there. I guess it wasn't the healthiest thing to do, but eating bacon isn't either.

ummmm...bacon.
Posted: Feb 14, 2007 11:15 pm

In a tin can in the freezer.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 12:24 am

I've got a tin can of it in the freezer too.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 1:10 am

DO NOT put it in an old coffee can.

Everyone knows you're supposed to keep it in a coffee can!
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 2:18 am

In a small coffe can of the stove, that's how mom did it. And she kept the butter on the kitchen cabinet, not the fridge.

I have a little ramikin (sp?) of bacon grease in the fridge in the butter compartment.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 2:50 am

In a small coffe can of the stove, that's how mom did it. And she kept the butter on the kitchen cabinet, not the fridge.

exactly, but the butter was kept in a butter dish on the kitchen table.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 8:31 am

i pour the hot grease down the gullet of the carpetbaggers i have tied up in my basement.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 10:47 am

On your hips, or your hair.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 6:00 pm

Coffee cup in the fridge.
Posted: Feb 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Ours is just in a regular drinking glass next to the stove. Pretty wicked looking...and we also have a gummy bear that is melted to the stove top.
Posted: Aug 14, 2011 6:54 am

thanks for everyones help,it was big
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®