Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Last night in PDX--where would you eat?
Posted: Jan 23, 2007 11:47 pm

Apizza Scholls--Insanely good, "real" Italian pizza (i.e. fancy)

Pok Pok Whiskey Soda Lounge--authentic Thai--went here last night with a friend and it was my fave of the year. Excellent cocktails also. Ryan would love it.

Any other suggestions we are unaware of?
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 1:24 am

Have you been to Ken's pizzaria yet? On 28th? I hear that is pretty fucking great. I haven't been to the screen door on E Burnside yet either, but heard it's awesome.
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 1:37 am

Ken's is supposed to be good, but Apizza Scholls is our pizza place and seriously, from the photos I have seen, APS has the better pizza.

I heard Screen Door wasn't all it purports to be. Hmmmmm...

We are hitting Navarre tonight.
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 2:08 am

don't know if it's even there anymore but i always had a soft spot for montage
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 2:38 am

the fucking Delta

chicken fried steak, mac n cheese, fried okra

and all the mickeys i could drink

that actually was my last night in pdx

and pool at the hungry tiger
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 2:40 am

don't know if it's even there anymore but i always had a soft spot for montage

that place was pretty good, kinda fine dining under a bridge
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 2:50 am

Delta changed their menu and raised all their prices, and not so good anymore.
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 3:37 am

thats too bad
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 7:22 am

Gino's in Sellwood. That's where I'd go.

If you've never been there, here's an old review, but still valid
http://willametteweek.com/html/dish062399.html

The one thing they don't mention is the wine. They've got great wine there.
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 9:43 am

that vintage osyter joint near the Pan, down town.
like the decor..
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 5:28 pm

Loved Ginos and Dan and Louis Oyster Bar...but not as much as Apizza.

Montage is a faint memory of itself. Delta, same, but more obnoxiously so, unfortunately.

Saw the Bourdain show on the Pac NW and he went to Apizza. All the pizza images drove us to distraction this AM. We're going there!
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 9:17 pm

Good choice. Go with what you love and will remember.
Posted: Jan 24, 2007 9:43 pm | Edited by: bowie

Um, love Bourdain and anything he says. Listen to him.
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 12:21 am

NO!!! WAIT!!! I JUST REALIZED, GO TO PAMBICHE! At least for the "hora des los amigos". IT FUCKING RULES!
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 3:54 am

We ended up at Apizza and they comped us the meal, sweeties that they are. The servers were tipped very well. I will miss Brian and Kim like mad--if you are ever in PDX, don't even go anywhere else for a real pizza; it is a night out kinda pie, but is THE BEST.

Pambiche is Cuban, right? We are moving to Florida, remember???? Cuban food and grouper will be shoved down our throats!
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 4:03 am

hey, when you get to st. pete dont forget to go to ted peters' for smoked mullet. it's on st. pete beach/pasadena.

here:

URL
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 6:13 am

Are you gone already? I've got some suggestions if youse ain't....
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 10:09 pm

Damn, I guess you are right.... but if I was leavin (and I prob'ly would not be going to FLA).... I'd wanna eat at PAMBICHE.
Posted: Jan 25, 2007 11:22 pm

I've eaten at Pambiche a few times and have always been decidedly underwhelmed. I do like the outdoor seating area though it really has a Latin American street feel to it, especially on those sweltering Portland summer nights.
Posted: Jan 26, 2007 12:22 am

But, have you been to the happy hour? I would never eat there under the regular circumstances.... but for los horas des los amigos?!?! HELL YEAH. Just get the slow cooked pork (masitas?) it will knock your socks off. And for under 3 bucks.
Posted: Jan 26, 2007 12:32 am

I don't usually go to happy hours. I don't have any friends. But I'll take your word for it.
Posted: Jan 26, 2007 12:40 am

Pambiche is pambitchin!
Posted: Jan 26, 2007 1:11 am

Man, Juan, you always got my back.
Posted: Jan 26, 2007 4:26 am

I agree with leftpeg. Pambiche is good, but not great. Definitely worth eating at, but for a special last-ever Portland meal you could do much better. I live two blocks away and have been eating there a shit-ton until my recent foray into home cuban sandwich creation (see the 'been making cuban sandwiches lately...' thread).
Posted: Jan 26, 2007 4:34 am

the 'been making cuban sandwiches lately...' thread).

Which is why I suggested Pambiche. I don't care what you guys say, the masitas makes me wanna cry. From goodness.
Posted: Jan 30, 2007 10:05 pm

Pambiche,Apizza,Montage,,,classic portland fodder and what for breakfest waiting in line at juinors on 12th.[b]revolt cook at home[/b]
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 12:27 am

Ropa Vieja!!
Posted: Jan 31, 2007 12:28 am

Fuck Juniors, worst service ever!!!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®