Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Best foreign food you ever ate, when you were somewhere foreign?
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 10:49 am | Edited by: T J Honeysuckle

Here's a few of my fave/memorable eats from my travels:
1- home made reindeer blood sausage, a foot long length, hot, at a farmer's market in Finland. Blood, ground offal, oats & cracked rye.
2- spider crabs in a herb/garlic/tomato sauce, on the Atlantic Coast of Spain
3- yer very own US beef, think it was a sirloin, cooked rare, at Smith & Wollensky, Chicago. And they give you a Bowie knife to cut it.
4- black beans, rice & salt pork, off a paper plate in Havana
5- Morecambe Bay potted shrimps & brown toast, Bibendum, London
6- baby lobster- 3 to a serve- Dubai
7- 6 oysters in the half shell with lemon & pepper, washed down with a Coopers Ale, on the steps of the Sydney Opera House
8- and cannot forget the battered & deep fried burger patty, mini pizza, and Mars Bar I had one drunken night in Scotland.

All good, would eat 'em all again.
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 11:18 am

you should go out dining w/ johann kugelberg. he's all about the reindeer. he's swedish FROM sweden, so i suspect its kind of banal for him. when we were both on record company expense accounts, we spent a good year in NYC looking for someplace that served it to no avail. i feel lucky, really.

if you mean indigenous food..... i NEVER EVER even wanted to try the seared 'roo rump when i was at anyplace in sydney BUT boy did i have fantastic tapas there in that section of town, downtown where all the spanish restaurants are. as good as anything in madrid.

and its kind of that way always for me. foreigners always made other foreigners cuisine almost better.

i've had the BEST French pastries in tokyo - the ones you can buy at any posh department store food hall are as good as the ones from fauchon's patisserie, or any of the other fine patisseries in paris

i've also had the very best steak i've ever even dreamed of in tokyo. kobe beef. out classes every US steak house i've been to.

best hot dogs are on the corner of orchard and stanton in NYC, topped w/ kim chee. not that they're foreign, but since kim chee IS korea in a jar... its qualifying the hot dog (oh, and it is a grilled hot dog)
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 11:21 am

i NEVER EVER even wanted to try the seared 'roo rump
Back in the old days, the only bit of the roo you could get was stewed tail. Awful- like some old English mutton recipe adapted for the colonies.
Pan or grill seared rump or fillet is great.
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 2:47 pm

A roast beef sandwich in a pub in Salisbury,England. Mad cow be damned.
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 6:07 pm

I ate at the Krystal on Bourbon St.
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 6:22 pm

was it the same as the one by the Buc? or better?
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 7:41 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

Every single Thai dish (curry, noodles, paratha) I ate from a street cart in Bangkok was better than the best item I've ever eaten at any Thai restaurant in the USA. And even better, no entree on the street cost more than $2. And the pineapple in Thailand is approximately 88% better than the pineapple sold here, even when you get the stuff in Hawaii.

The fish and shellfish tacos in La Paz, Baja are the best I've ever had.

The Poutine I ate on my second visit to Montreal was the best "junk food" on Earth!
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 9:03 pm

There is a place here that does Thai street food called Pok Pok and it is like no "Thai" food I have ever had here before. IT IS AMAZING.

Anyway, seeing as my sole out of Amerikkka experience was in Mexico, I will have to say this:

(1)The huevos rancheros at Burro Borracho, Troncones

(2)The ahi tuna at the ITALIAN (WHAT?) restaurant run by hippie, rich surfers in Troncones and the same dish at the bar at the surfer bungalow hotel up the dirt beach road, also in Troncones.
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 9:18 pm

was it the same as the one by the Buc? or better? It was as dirty as my toilet.
Posted: Dec 30, 2006 9:30 pm

And they give you a Bowie knife to cut it.

YES!
Posted: Jan 1, 2007 7:04 am

Conch Fritters in Punta Placentia, Belize
Posted: Jan 1, 2007 6:26 pm

Chicken Tikka Masala at a world class Indian restaurant in Denton Manchester England called SUHAG......I still have dreams about it
Posted: Jan 1, 2007 7:15 pm

haven't beentoo many places out of teh continental US... Japan and Maui..

Ten years ago, I had a huge plate of unagi in Kyoto, Japan, three foot long strips that were heavenly! They are known for that dish there. Eight years later had unagi at a wedding on Maui that put the stuff even from eel town to shame. 'Twas so good, I'm ruined for unagi for ever more!

The Japanese take on Chinese is really yummy, lightly cooked veggies, flavorful sauces without overpowering. The place I'm thinking of was in Mito, north of Tokyo.... Can't remember what I had. The menu was in Japanese characters.

On Maui, the mahi mahi burritos at Maui Tacos were euphoricly good.
Posted: Jan 1, 2007 7:42 pm

Chicken Tikka Masala

i used to work with a guy from india and he said that chicken tikka masala was not a real indian dish, but one made up in england

regardless, its a yummy dish, but i thought that it was curious.
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 12:10 am

I wouldn't say it's the "best", but it certainly is the grossest-sounding: Blood sausage in England. Mmm-mmm!
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 12:20 am

i didn't know when i was in england as a mere college student that "black pudding" was made with blood. it was black indeed, and rich and slightly sulfurous tasting, like a nosebleed. someone told me once i'd taken a bite what it was. i have never been so grossed out in my life.

and yes, i realize that i like my steaks rare, but its quite a different thing to eat a rare steak and to eat boiled blood made into a sausage type thing
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 3:30 pm

oh dude, blood pudding is awesome
Bourdaine was new last night in ireland and there was a blood pudding on there that looked really fucking awesome (the extra tang came from the piss -- mmm, blood and piss - how can you go wrong eating something like that?)
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 3:36 pm

I saw that last night. I was totally bummed, dude.
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 3:43 pm

bummed that you werent eating black pudding right then and there?!
hopefully, the family will hit ireland this spring -- i'm totally gonna chow at that seafood place they showed (and i will totally eat a shit load of black pudding - like every morning for breakfast - i seriously dig that shit)
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 3:46 pm

Bummed that people (white people even!) are such savages.

That seafood place was def! I actually wanna try to make those clams with the shallots and cream and wine this weekend.
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 4:50 pm

I saw the last 40 minutes of the Bourdain thing last night. I've never had any of the various sorts of pudding described, but that stuff he made (in Cork?) looked amazing. Plans for our March trip are currently just Belfast and Dublin but now we're going to have to try and make it there too. The seafood place was just 15 miles north of Dublin, right? Did they talk about Belfast in the first 20 minutes?
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 4:53 pm

Oh, and best foreign meal was oxtails and and a tartare (amongst other amazing things, those were just the favorites) at Alain Ducasse's 59 Poincaré in Paris.
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 5:02 pm

yeah, they started in belfast - the place they went there was too hoity-toity --
seafood place was in a town called Howth i think called King Sitrus -- just north of dublin

ireland's pretty tiny so you can make it from dublin to cork in a couple of hours
Posted: Jan 2, 2007 5:08 pm

Crucialdude, you gotta lemme know how them razor clams be.They looked killer!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®