Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Hopping John and Greens
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 2:25 am

High time there was some talk about preparing that New Years Day hangover/good luck chow!

I'm down with the black eyed peas, hamhock, vinegar, peppers, garlic all over rice... but I always struggle with what are the least bitter greens, and collard have never suited me. Any greens maestros out there? I could use some tips!
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 2:27 am

Do you like kale? If I were you and you aren't a collards guy, just make a big vat of spinach or some kale. I am a greens fan of all kinds, though.
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 2:31 am

Didn't we discuss asian greens at some point grrtch? Or was that for something else?
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 2:39 am

Yeah, kale's pretty good. I try to cook it until it's as bright green as it's gonna get. Can I get away with cooking the bejeezus out of it or should I stick with a lighter touch?

and a friendmade Greek greens once... a mix of chard, mustard greens andkale, I think slathered in good extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. I think that was the first time devoured a plate of greens.

TJ, I think you and I figured out that what I call arugula, which I just love, isn't called that there... refresh my memory... what Asian greens were you recommending?
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 2:59 am

figured out that what I call arugula, which I just love, isn't called that there

Yeah, we call it rocket.
I can't remember either- sure we talked about (my lack of) collard greens, and Asian bok choy or kai lee/whatever as a possible substitute.
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 3:47 am

dark greens and nutmeg = good combo
(ie: kale, spinach, collards, etc)

if you want to get the bitter out of your greens, blanch em first, then cook em again slowly in some bacon fat in which you've already carmelized some onions. i also add some maple syrup.

i also do the very labor intensive step of making a chiffonade of collard greens before blanching them. less big surface = less surface of bitter taste
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 4:01 am

Yeah, we call it rocket.
I think TJ has a rocket in his pocket. he showed me yesterday... hehe!
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 4:04 am

Aww, now I'm blushing...
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 4:04 am

dark greens and nutmeg = good combo
(ie: kale, spinach, collards, etc)

if you want to get the bitter out of your greens, blanch em first, then cook em again slowly in some bacon fat in which you've already carmelized some onions. i also add some maple syrup.

those are good ideas! I already chop 'em up skinny as I can, but didn't really know why that worked for me. Just seemed easier to fit in one's mouth.
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 4:14 am

its very easy to do a chiffonade
just roll up the leaves and cut across them - and voila - you got uniform ribbons!
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 4:58 am

ta da! thanky very much!
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 5:23 am

I like creamed collards--boil em way down with some lemon/garlic/salt and then add some heavy cream. I toss a bit of hot sauce on that too.
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 5:28 am

have you ever taken it the next step and made collards gratin?
just curious
what kind of cheese would one use for this?
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 1:47 pm

. i also add some maple syrup.

Woaahh. I just cook my greens with some pork; hocks, sausage, salt pork, bacon, whatever you have. Onions, garlic, salt and pepper. I cook them down at least an hour. At the very end I add a little vinegar. Or you can do the greens and beans thing. Make a pot of white beans (navy, great northern, etc) and when they are about half done, add the greens. Cook until green are done and beans are creamy.
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 4:00 pm

I cook mine for HOURS, like 3, until they are a true mess o greens. As Johnny Taylor, who gave me his recipe, said, "Time is your friend." They are perfect.

Ham hock(s), garlic, lemon juice, some onion, mustard, hot sauce and a little vinegar. When they are done, I separate a bit and add cream for mine.

I wouldn't neccessarily go for the gratin--are you thinking more of a casserole of just melting cheese into it like the delicious ghetto dish "Broccoli Cheese"?
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 6:37 pm

I wouldn't neccessarily go for the gratin--are you thinking more of a casserole of just melting cheese into it like the delicious ghetto dish "Broccoli Cheese"?

yeah - pretty much....but putting it in a gratin dish/shallow casserole and zapping it under the broiler for a minute. i just saw a kale gratin on the food network, i wondered if it would translate across all dark greens

when i make greens at home w/ my sister, i can only get away with bacon and bacon fat - because she won't eat pork (she picks out the little bacon squares), gets all squeamish when she sees a ham hock in the fridge, etc. i add the maple syrup (and its only a few tablespoons) to complete that carmelizing thing that the onions do - and in my house, garlic goes into everything so much so that it goes without saying.
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 10:05 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

i also add some maple syrup.
My variation is a smidgen of brown sugar added with smoked pork/bacon and onion. It really does counteract the often bitterness of turnip greens and doesn't overpower the taste. If your guests can't handle pork ,some olive oil is a good variation. As for vinegar,I like that as a condiment added after they're cooked in the form of Trappey's pickled pepper juice.
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 10:26 pm

If your guests can't handle pork ,some olive oil is a good variation.

i always put olive oil in the pan when i do the bacon/onions thing. i dunno, maybe i gots the olive oil in my blood...
Posted: Dec 29, 2006 12:36 am

along with the standard ingredients, i threw in some honey. awesome.
Posted: Dec 29, 2006 2:21 am | Edited by: deadcityrebel

2bunches turnip greens
1 bunch curly mustard
hamhock/jowls/fatback
and seasonings etc (which usually include a little sugar)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®