Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / meat loaf please
Posted: Dec 21, 2006 8:59 am

can you post your fave version?
I like tomato too.
Posted: Dec 21, 2006 12:56 pm

Mine is in this thread:
http://www.goner-records.com/board/index.php?action=vthread&forum=5&to pic=24117

you don't have to make them muffins if that offends you.
Posted: Dec 21, 2006 2:46 pm

KETCHUP! These damn places around here make some weird ass salisbury steak gravy version. BLEH.
Posted: Dec 21, 2006 4:49 pm

I made meatloaf muffins last night. Totally generic, but they were pretty good:

1 lb ground beef
1 box stuffing
1 cup water
an egg or a couple of egg whites

mix together and divide between muffin tin holes. Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.
Posted: Dec 21, 2006 4:50 pm

(I'm sure lula pee's recipe is better, but I'm pretty lazy.)
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 4:18 am

1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb italian sausage
marinara sauce
bread crumbs
an egg
lots of garlic cloves
diced onion
fresh parsley
celery/mushrooms/green onions and any other savory vegetables you gots in the fridge
red pepper flakes
salt and black pepper
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 6:43 am

2 lbs ground chuck
quaker instant oats
diced union
ketcup
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 4:14 pm

don't let your meat loaf!
Posted: Dec 22, 2006 5:01 pm

1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb italian sausage

When we made Lula's meatloaf muffins we used 1 lb. beef and 1/2 lb. sausage, and that was plenty sausage. I think half and half would be a bit much, and I LOVE Italian sausage.
Posted: Dec 28, 2006 4:48 pm

kelly myers' cajun meatloaf is AMMMAAAZZZZING. I tried her recipe and it was good - but not AS good as hers. I get hungry just thinking about it. And I just ate an early lunch. will try and dig up a recipe...
Posted: Feb 19, 2007 11:31 pm

meat loaf tonight! i added to my meat: ketchup, worcester, onion soup mix, dry stove top stuffing, one egg, small chedder cheese cubes and topped with 3 strips of bacon. it'll be ready in 15 minutes, so nice knowin' ya!
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 12:23 am

I done died and gone to heaven.

Look at that cheese oozing up through the bacon!
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 1:38 am

kelly myers' cajun meatloaf is AMMMAAAZZZZING.

i am going to have to ask her about that or wait for you to post the recipe. i am a big fan of meatloaf, the food, not the singer. heh.

that meatloaf pic you posted up looks quite delicious, joe.
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 3:19 am | Edited by: Miss Faye

cheese oozing up through the bacon!

Holy crap that looks good. Ajax in Oxford used to do a good meatloaf with pepper jack cheese and whole roasted garlic cloves throughout. No tomato sauce though and that's kina messed up.
Posted: Feb 20, 2007 3:33 am

Ahhh, roasted garlic cloves. Next time for sure!
Posted: Feb 21, 2007 5:47 am

I made that Ajax Meat Loaf every day for a year!
As far as I remember...and cutting the portion in half...

5 Pounds of Ground Beef
1 Cup of Chili Sauce
1 Cup Pureed Garlic
5 Eggs
1 Tablespoon of Salt and Pepper

Mix all that together in a big bowl, best with gloves to use your hands...

Then, Take that Mess and spread it on some wax paper and make a rectangular shape, with the meat about a inch off the surface...don't spread it too thin...but make it a nice solid flag of meat...

Then, get some shredded Jack Cheese and put a big old stripe of it down the middle, or in a bit towards you.

Then, roll up that wax paper with the meat and cheese in it, as if you are rolling a huge joint. You should have like a thin, Hotel pan with sides on it to put it into...if you do it right, you dump it in there and then you keep pulling, and you should be able to pull the paper right out from under the meat. At that point, the meat should be on top, and the cheese should be out of sight underneath it.

Cover the pan in foil and bake that thing on 350 until the meat temp. is about 180. Then take the foil off of it and brown it for a few minutes, then take it out and eat it!
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 7:44 pm

Talbot you rule! I am making meatloaf and i was about to ask if you minded giving up the recipe to mattie's mom's meatloaf. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 7:55 pm

(next time I am using that recipe)

This time I made the standard
worchestershire
ketchup
onion
eggs
dried bread crumbs

and some garlic salt, cajun spice and onion powder. First time making meatloaf.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:13 pm

forgot to mention that I greased the pan with bacon grease.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:17 pm

you don't need to grease a pan. you mighta coulda added some to the meat though.
Posted: Feb 26, 2007 9:25 pm

oh well. too late now.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 3:22 pm

Usually I just put it whatever (substitued Instant mash pototoes for bread crumbs once or twice, a can of mushroon soup here and there etc) and let it bake. I've gotta go work on one for dinner tonight soon. Hmmmm. This thread has given me some ideas though.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 4:28 pm

1.25 lb ground beef
3/4 lb sausage
1 large onion diced (or 1 pack of onion soup mix)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 egg
a few dashes of worcestershire
season salt & italian seasoning to taste
bread crumbs & rolled oates to desired consistancy.

form in to loaf & drape a few slices of bacon on top.
Posted: Feb 22, 2008 8:50 pm

I think a lil pinch of lemon zest in a meatloaf or meatballs is mighty good.
Posted: Feb 23, 2008 12:05 pm

I've switched to ground turkey for pretty much everything that calls for ground beef. That, plus 1 egg, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, thyme, worchestershire, minced onion and green bells, big squirt o' ketchup, salt and pepper. I cook it a while then drain any grease and pour over a sauce of tomato sauce (or ketchup-whatever's handy), worch, brown sugar, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Cook it until it's done.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 5:08 pm

I used to do the draped bacon slices thing myself, and then someone hipped me to the fact that the meat loaf is WAY better if you just chop up the raw bacon and mix it with the other shit. This way, the bacon completely permeates the loaf instead of just sitting on top and having SOME of the juices work down into the meat. Never looked back.

Also, I prefer a ketchup glaze than ketchup mixed in.
Posted: Feb 25, 2008 6:15 pm

I 've thought of doing that, I just wasn't sure how the bacon would cook up (or down)... Was worried that it might come out gooey or chewey, or still be sorta raw. But I will try that. Once when I had a bunch of chopped bacon left over from making baked clams, i pressed it all over the outside of the meatoaf, so it was Bacon Encrusted Meatloaf. mmmm that was good
Posted: Feb 28, 2008 7:45 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

made it tonight with the chopped up bacon inside. killer diller.
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 3:36 am

try using veggie pulp if ya have a juicer ..Hear that works well as filler...
Posted: Mar 5, 2008 11:21 am

Least favorite meatloaf
http://www.youtube.com/v/yHCSUIdgnqs
Posted: Mar 12, 2008 5:16 am

Least favorite
mano man those were the days
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®