Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Chili question.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 4:10 pm | Edited by: krakhaus

I recently went to a friends Chili cook-off, and I just purchased a new crock pot so I'm raring to go with the thing. A friend brought up the fact that some people don't consider it to be chili anymore once you add beans and I disagreed. (Maybe a Texas thing)Any one have an opinion on this?

OR kick-ass crock pot chili suggestions? (this has probably already been covered...sue me...)

I like it hot and spicy!
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 4:23 pm

We had a chili cookoff yesterday @ work. I guess some people are about as purist with their chili as they are with their bbq, but I like all kinds. I just did like they do with burgoo @ bbq festival - take a small spoonfull of each, mix, and enjoy. The only individual chili I had was very good...no noodles, I think it had beans, mostly meat and peppers and beer.

I think it's totally bullshit we have a chili cookoff at work with no prizes.

I swear one year I'm gonna make chili like Naomi from mama's family.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 4:33 pm | Edited by: Donkey

don't consider it to be chili anymore once you add beans

Brraaapp!
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 4:36 pm

Posted: Nov 2, 2006 4:53 pm | Edited by: carney

Ahhh chili....
I cooked at and managed the Texas Chili Parlor for almost 17 years. People are fanatical about chili down here. A couple of things to consider:

1. Chili is technically two things: meat and chili (peppers). Purists will also insist that it contain cumin and (mexican) oregano. One school of thought placed the birthplace of chili, as we know it, in San Antonio. This chili was sold from carts by women.

2. I would divide chili into three camps: Texas (no beans), regular w/beans and tomatoes(Yankee chili) and green chili using usually New Mexican green chilies such as Hatch. I like all three. For myself, I usually make regular (I grew up in Illinois). I like to use a mixture of ground beef and small cubed stew beef. I also use kidney beans and tomatoes. For spices, I use cumin, dried cilantro and oregano, cayenne and sometimes a little habanero (sorry Jack). I don't like green peppers in red chili, It throws of the flavor. The Chili Parlor chili (no beans style) is 60% stewmeat and 40% ground. No beans, no tomatoes. Just meat, onion, tomato juice, dried cilantro and oregano, water, Shiner Bock and a lot of special chili powder. Chili powder is like curry powder, it can contain about anything in varying ratios. To the uninitiated, it just looks like a reddish brown stew. For green chili, I like to use pork and green chilies, chicken stock, cumin, oregano, cilantro, onions and just a pinch of regular chili powder.

3. I would brown any meat for chili in a crock pot. As I've said on other threads, crock pots are great, but they cannot brown foods and thus they lack a certain foundation of flavor. Chili needs to cook a while, but it really benefits from the browning process to establish a rich flavor.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 5:10 pm

Thanks ya'll...Especially Carney! Did Gravy Boat ever end up playing in Dallas? I don't know if you remember but you had once mentioned something about trading some shows...
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 5:18 pm

No problem krakhaus. No, we haven't made it up to Dallas in a few years. I remember talking about trading shows, but I think some of my guys were already booked up. My drummer plays in like 6 bands (counting two of mine) and my co-singer/guitar guys plays pickup honky tonk gigs just about every weekend. We're going to start doing a monthly SAt gig in Austin. Once we get that established, maybe y'all good come down.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 5:27 pm

Well, our band (Saddle Tramp) is just getting to the point where it's not TOO embarassing to play in public so maybe by that time we'll be up for it. Take care.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 6:07 pm

I deglaze with beer. Definitely cumin and oregano, some kind of good chili powder, a bit of thyme. A couple bay leaves. I put beans in there too. Tomatoes. And sometimes corn. I'm sure that's a real no-no. Oh, and no salt. I use Sazon instead. And I eat it with crushed up tortilla chips on top.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 6:11 pm

good come down

damn, I don't even know what that was supposed to say. Talking on the phone and posting at the same time.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 7:04 pm

I would brown any meat for chili in a crock pot. As I've said on other threads, crock pots are great, but they cannot brown foods and thus they lack a certain foundation of flavor. Chili needs to cook a while, but it really benefits from the browning process to establish a rich flavor.

Ditto on this for crock pot cooking of any sort. You can totally tell a difference with people who brown meat from the ones who just throw raw meat in.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 7:04 pm

What is Sazon????
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 7:12 pm

Posted: Nov 2, 2006 9:23 pm

Man. I tried the highest star rating at the Texas Chili Parlor. I'm generally very tough when it comes to spicy food, but that stuff felt like an open flame was being held under my tongue. It kicked my ass.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 9:39 pm

Was it the XXX or the Habanero? Two different, but equally punishing kinds of hot. The X, XX, and XXX are all the same chili with extra spice added. The extra spice is a blend of cayenne and African bird pepper. The habanero is a totally different recipe.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 9:51 pm

Duuuuuudde....
I really want some chili now. Already went shopping for the week, but may stop by the store just to pick up a few things to make it. Thanks again, Carney. Awesome as always. Sorry to hear you're still eating habeneros, and I hope you've overcome walking into glass doors.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 10:57 pm

Was it the XXX or the Habanero?

Probably the XXX. This was in '93. Fastest six-pack I ever drank. I ususally avoid beverages when consuming the hot stuff, but I had been bested.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 11:23 pm

[i]and I hope you've overcome walking into glass doors.[/i

??
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 11:31 pm | Edited by: Jack Stands

It's a well known fact that people who eat habeneros often walk into glass doors. And probably worship Ragedy Anne and Andy.
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 11:49 pm

Oh ok. Wait a minute, raggedy ann? What you smokin' Stands?
Posted: Nov 2, 2006 11:54 pm

Olives.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 1:52 pm

What is Sazon????
I use the coriander annatto variety. I'm not sure exactly what's in it, but it's good.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 7:53 pm

I like to use coarse ground beef AND some kind of pork chopped into chunks, usually shoulder. And I use a variety of fresh and dried peppers- serranos, japonesa, habaņero, jalapeņo, and something else usually. And I like to put tomatillos in there, which I think mostly add texture. I've always made it with beans, but Haunted George recommended cooking the chili without beans and then simply serving the chili OVER a bowl of beans, which sounds like a great plan. I'm not gonna argue with a musical genius.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 8:26 pm

Posted: Nov 3, 2006 9:25 pm

It's a well known fact that people who eat habeneros often walk into glass doors. And probably worship Ragedy Anne and Andy.

is that what you did when you ate that habenero that one day, robin??
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 9:27 pm

I would have worshiped a chipmunk that speaks retard if it would have removed the juice from my eyes.
Posted: Nov 3, 2006 9:28 pm

i just spit on myself on that one
Posted: Nov 4, 2006 3:27 am

Aaaaannnnd...
Guess what I'm making tonight, after salivating over this thread for the better part of these two days?
Posted: Nov 5, 2006 10:12 pm

chorizo and ground veal. cilantro is a must. sazon is the shit. garnish with sour cream and chives. need really chewy bread too. and a tall glass of ice cold milk.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 1:38 am

What is Sazon????
I use the coriander annatto variety. I'm not sure exactly what's in it, but it's good.

it's mostly MSG. I fucking love the stuff.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 7:35 pm

biggest local fast food chain in hawaii: ZIPPYS!

chili/rice the main dish. with beans. hawaiians love them some zippys.
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 9:21 pm

biggest local fast food chain in hawaii: ZIPPYS!
I'm going there in 3 weeks!!
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 9:27 pm

I didn't go when I was in HA. I've had frozen Zippy's chili though. Not bad.
Posted: Nov 7, 2006 7:05 am

eating habeneros
supposed to deliver 1500% more Vit c than orange juice
Posted: Nov 7, 2006 4:58 pm

Oh, good lunch suggestion. I think I will. Thanks.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®