Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Best foods to eat when sick
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 11:39 pm

Hollis has a bad cold and I don't feel so hot either (it just started getting cold and rainy here)...

What should we be eating to make us feel better? Hollis wants thai but I am sick to death of Thai (never thought I'd say that, but on the West Coast, there is a Thai restaurant for every 10 people).
Posted: Oct 8, 2006 11:43 pm

are you sick of asian food in general?

some excellent vietnamese food would make you feel better. old reliable chinese take out hot n sour soup

or else mexican - not sonoran... maybe try cuban chicken soup? its spicy.

i started some italian concoction that i will finish preparing when i leave the library
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 12:00 am

I am mainly sick of Thai, but I am averse to Asian too. I went overboard for years, just like I did when I discovered Mission-style burritos. I have not eaten a burrito in over 4 years (!!!!!) but had a bite of Hollis' barbacoa one the other day and almost went bananas. I have to get one soon.

I think we are getting Indian to clear up his sinuses and to appease me. It is the only place we know is worth the exhorbitant delivery charges.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 12:09 am

some excellent vietnamese food would make you feel better.

Def get some beef pho and load it with sriracha. That will at least make you feel great until you finish the bowl.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 3:07 am

I second the Pho and Sriracha.

Chuck in some of the minced garlic and sliced jalapenos too.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 6:59 pm

i'm a fan of chicken and dumplings or chicken noodle soup. old fashioned i guess.
Posted: Oct 9, 2006 8:51 pm

chickie soup sure is tender on a tummy. and ya know, so is a Coca-cola on ice.

My mom always fixed tomato soup for me with little squares of cheese melted on Ritz crackers on the side. Still makes me feel better even all grown up. easy enough to add some hot sauce or wasabi for that extra heat to knock out the Plague.

and a scoop of sherbert always soothed a scratchy throat. :)

Feeling better?
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 12:31 am

Now I feel like crap. It is worse because the sun is out and is warmer--it is always worse to have a cold in this kind of weather.
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 12:40 am

pho is great, but my fav thing to do when sick is boil ginger root in water for a ginger tea. if your throat hurts, it won't as much after drinking that. i'm currently downing an airborne. i don't feel so hot either.
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 9:22 pm

Mexican tortilla soup is my favourite when I'm sick. This recipe is similar to the one my dad gave me: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/114

I made this soup last night and I think it would work, too:

Leek & Chickpea soup

5 medium-sized leeks
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 - 12 oz can chickpeas
3 cups chicken broth/stock
1 medium-sized potato, peeled
2 cloves garlic
salt & pepper
parmesan reggiano, grated

Chop & cook potato
Slice leeks lengthwise, clean well and cut into small strips
Add butter and oil to warm pan, add garlic
Add leeks, salt and stir
Add chickpeas and cooked potato, cook for one minute
Add two-thirds chicken stock, let simmer for 15 min.
Puree half of the soup in food processor and pour back into remaining half
Add remaining chicken stock, stir

Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, parmesan and ground pepper.
Posted: Oct 10, 2006 11:47 pm

mmm chicken soup is always my fav. unless i have nasty sinus shit going on, then i load up on the spicy thai hot and sour soup.

but i like chicken soup and juices and hot tea with some honey.

any kind of soup really is good, unless it has a cream base, then it'll cause your mucous to overload, and that's no good.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 12:20 am

I'm partial to Sweet Sue Chicken and Dumplings in a can. And, fennel tea.
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 1:17 am

I will soon be back in the land where Sweet Sue is sold. That stuff would collect dust on any grocery shelf here (unless I found it).
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 2:09 am

Nana made her chicken chili tonight. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 2:53 am

Recipe, Nana???
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 6:13 am

Grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup with saltines, and ginger ale with lotsa ice. If it is cold, hot chocolate.
Posted: Oct 12, 2006 5:09 pm

Yeah, Pho Tai for sure.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 1:26 am

Whatever you eat- go for heavy doses of real ginger. It stimulates the immune system- good for what ails ya. I personally prefer a tasty bowl of stir-fried beef & ginger with veggies. Fujin on Hawthorne is good shit.

Or some of the above mentioned Tortilla Soup with extra hot sauce.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 6:18 am

best food to eat when yer sick..? fuckin Pancakes with extra maple syrup.
Posted: Oct 13, 2006 6:35 am

This Czech professor I used to have told me that his mother used to make mushroom tea for him whenever he got a fever, and not your slice up and put on a salad kind either. He said it worked wonders.
Posted: Oct 14, 2006 3:55 am

Recipe, Nana???

chicken
white beans
celery
onion
chicken broth
not sure what else. it is good though. i'll try to get the real recipe when I get home.
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 10:29 pm

Tom Ka Gai? you know the Thai lemongrass soup
or good jewish deli chicken soup
Posted: Oct 23, 2006 11:19 pm

i love tom yum soup. spicy! it's good. i wish someone would bring me some cuz i'm sick right now. *pouts*
Posted: Oct 24, 2006 9:41 pm

eat lots of gorgonzola when you're sick. it'll scare it out of you
Posted: Oct 25, 2006 3:42 am

I stick with a good bowl of Pho soup (and as stated by someone else, lots of sriracha) whenever I'm all fucked. Or there is always the Indian buffet. Heavy on the Sambar. I also like eating raw jalapenos with lotsa beer when my sinuses are going south. I just used the Pho two days ago after a failed sudafed attempt. The soup set me straight. The pills just gave me that "next day after acid" feeling in my head.
Posted: Jun 11, 2019 3:54 pm

elle
Do you want another cool recipe? I always use it and I am pleased.
[url=https://club.cooking/recipe/tom-yum-soup/]Best Tom Yum Soup Recipe[/url]
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®