Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / A concerned patron
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 2:21 pm | Edited by: flesheater99

Dear NYC,

Please stop making cole slaw.

You really don't know what you're doing and you're just creating more dirty dishes for yourself.

Look, I like a good cole slaw every now and then however I'm no connoisseur. But what I do know is that serving wet notebook paper (college ruled) in a small saucer is never a good idea so why don't you just not bother.

This is not an isolated problem. I can't eat out at a non-Thai restaurant in this town without being served this depressing miscarriage of a dish.

And since when did you start caring about
giving us little guys a extra little something on the side anyway?
I thought you were supposed to be some big bad city.
If it really means that much to you why don't you break me off a free refill on Coke or something?

Respectfully,
Patty Melt
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:41 pm

sixteene will be able to tell you where all the good NYC slaw be. She's a slaw expert. I've yet to disagree with her on any we've had.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:50 pm

dear flesheater99, woah, that was harsh my mellow!

there is indeed good coleslaw in NYC (not as good/as much as my hometown in PA, where you can get good slaw in every place you walk into) but i've had good slaw here: R.U.B., Blue Smoke (fancy, I know!), Georgia Peach diner (where BJ & I will be having breakfast tomorrow), Daisy Mae's, and some various other joints I can't think of right now. Gotta go back to work but I ain't done with you yet....I take my cole slaw seriously :)
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:52 pm

Georgia Peach diner

It's in Queens. Their menu is as thick as the bible but better reading!
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:53 pm

All the slaws we've tried here are subjected to comparison by the world's best slaw too. It's at KFC if you didn't already know.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 3:58 pm

KFC slaw is the only thing they have going on there.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 4:05 pm

actually the best slaw is made by my uncle francis but it's not in NY & it's not available anywhere but the callahan family reunions. bummer for the rest of the world!
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 5:13 pm

K- Fried does have some bombin ass cole slaw for sure. I had R.U.B's but don't remember it being all that...of course it could've been that the deepfried oreos(oh god yes!) carpet bombed my taste buds to the point of denial.

Sorry to harsh yr mel, sixteene. Again, I'm no connoisseur. I defer all issues slaw to you for now ons. Thankyou(and bazooka) for the 411.

To be fair I should say that XO Cafe (way good and simple) in Chinatown has the best cole slaw I've had in NYC. But afterall it;s just "good." And its a Chinese joint. Go figure.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 5:14 pm

and ps fiery, K-Fried's chicken skrips are nothing to sneeze at.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 5:20 pm

mmmm....deep fried oreos. Possibly the world's most perfect fried dessert!
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 5:22 pm

actually the best slaw is made by my uncle francis but it's not in NY & it's not available anywhere but the callahan family reunions. bummer for the rest of the world!

What? I never got me none! You and me, we're having a little "talk."
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 6:45 pm

kills me that most every slaw in restaurants is thickened with flour! Keeps the dressing sticking to the cabbage. Ba-a-a-ad news for me who can't eat wheat or grains in any form. Putting flour in dat, just soooo wrong!

now, I had a real good slaw at my aunt's, kinda like German potato salad except replace potato with grated cabbage. vinegary with bacon, onion, parsley, caraway seeds, and boiled egg... GOOO STUFF!
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 6:54 pm

who can't eat wheat or grains in any form

Well that's just weird.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 7:02 pm

so sixteene, how much mayonnaise do you like to use? I was raised on all-vinegar, no-mayo slaw with carrots and celery seeds. I don't stand by this recipe at all. I think a slaw should be white and green only, with a minimal amount of mayo and a substantial kick to it. the kick can come from a number of things; jalapeno spice, horseradish, mustard powder, etc. that's where I stand on the issue, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 7:03 pm | Edited by: bazooka joe

I think a slaw should be white and green only

No carrots?

You should try some with purple cabbage too. Napa style. Nice. We both agree that celery seeds in slaw is crap. And I'm sorry I'm speaking on sixteene's behalf.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 7:04 pm

I am staunchly anti-carrot. but not necessarily opposed to purple cabbage. had some pickled red onion last night and thought it might go good in a slaw too.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 7:06 pm

I am staunchly anti-carrot

very little shaved carrot isnt bad, in fact y'all have me craving slaw now, damn you. gonna have to go to the restaurant and get some of dad's
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 7:06 pm

slaw may not truly be a southern dish, but most places I've been to in the south do not use carrots.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 7:11 pm

The south is racist.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 7:19 pm

and carrots are niggers.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 8:56 pm

so sixteene, how much mayonnaise do you like to use?

WR: I was raised on coleslaw with a pretty good amount of mayo but not a drowning amount. My uncle was the family cole slaw maker & it was a secret recipe (he still won't give me the recipe!) & it was the perfect amount of mayo & cabbage with some secret something or other that I've never been able to figure out. And no carrots!

Where I come from (Pennsylvania) they're pretty big on pepper slaw (vinegar) which I can't stand. Most places have choices between the "regular" & pepper though.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 10:00 pm | Edited by: carney

Flour in cole slaw? I have never heard of such a thing. If you want to make your own slaw dressing just mix in a little sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper with mayo. Make it as sweet/sour as you like. Don't mix the slaw too far in advance, the salt leeches out the moisture from the cabbage and makes it too watery.

If I'm making slaw for bbq sandwiches, I just use cabbage, seasoned japanese vinegar and salt and pepper. Maybe a red pepper flake or two.
Posted: Sep 22, 2006 10:52 pm

> who can't eat wheat or grains in any form

Well that's just weird.

YER weird!
Posted: Sep 23, 2006 2:01 am

I'm making pigs in the blanket this weekend
Posted: Sep 24, 2006 11:27 pm

most places i have worked out here in the south made cole slaw by mixing mayo and sugar and salt and pepper then adding it to shredded cabbage. i've had to make it like that before and i've also had to make it before for a restaurant with vinegar and mustard powder and salt and pepper and a stupid cabbage (bagged) mix.

when i make it myself, i use apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper and a touch of sugar, but not a lot. just enough to kill the bite of the vinegar.

the seasoned japanese vinegar sounds really good. i bet that'd be great with napa cabbage.

and i'm not vehemently opposed to carrots as martel is. i just wouldn't put a lot. and finely shred them. no big chunks.
Posted: Sep 25, 2006 1:31 am

Flour in cole slaw? I have never heard of such a thing. If you want to make your own slaw dressing just mix in a little sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper with mayo. Make it as sweet/sour as you like. Don't mix the slaw too far in advance, the salt leeches out the moisture from the cabbage and makes it too watery.

and when that water leeches out in cole slaw that's been prepped hours before it's served, the dressing falls off. It's a trick many places use... not all, but when one has an allergy, one can't afford to take chances. I got this info from my nutritionist. Just can't trust take out slaw.

loving all the recipes for making it at home, tho!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®