Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Pancho's Cheese Dip Recipe
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 2:53 am

Found it online and I am testing it tomorrow--but what is "blue box" Kraft American? I may have to just buy a bunch of slices.

This is one of our favorite cheese dips. It's from a resataurant in West Memphis, Ark. If you're from anywhere near the area, you know this dip They sell it at Super Walmart and most surrounding grocery stores. Very poplular dip.

Pancho's Cheese Dip

2 lb Kraft American Cheese (use blue box only, NOT Velvetta)
1 can Rotel-mild
1 can Rotel-hot
2 tsp Garlic powder
2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 can water

Bring all ingredients except cheese to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes. Cut cheese into cubes. Process all in blender until well blended. Serve at room temp with tortilla chips. We like it served cold also.

note--instead of rotel I have used large can whole tomatoes and fresh jalapeno peppers. Slice peppers and do not use seeds. Add a little black pepper also. Be very careful with peppers. It's hard to judge the degree of "hot" when using peppers. But if you like hot, go for it! I usually use 1 medium pepper.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 3:08 am | Edited by: cthort

Seek the blue box american cheese brick. It's the only kind my grandmother uses.

When I first moved to PDX, I had to request that my local supermarket (Food Valu) start stocking Ro-tel. Crazings.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 3:15 am

Ro-tel is now in abundance, but this is the kind of town (as you know, Cort) that only has like one box of Velveeta in the store and it is hidden away. They only sell the big boxes too and no chance of finding the kind with jalapenos in it.

I am wondering if the supermarket at Walmart out in the boonies might have this sort of thing. Or maybe somewhere in Vancouver.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 3:21 am

Somebody posted the recipe way back when. I was trying the "Panchos Cheese Dip as Condiment for Hot Dog Experiment".
The results were "No".
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 3:57 am

I rarely see the blue box in Memphis. Hazel lives in the boonies.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 4:19 am

Do they stock it beside Velveeta or is it refrigerated?
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 4:28 am

OK, found it online at Albertsons. It is called Kraft Deluxe Cheese Loaf. Testing shall commence tomorrow.
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 3:32 pm

You left out an ingredient:

1 cup salt
Posted: Sep 3, 2006 3:43 pm

HA!

Well, yeah, maybe 1/2 cup would be right!
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 1:03 am

OK, the experiment has begun. We'll know within a half hour at the most if the recipe is a success or bomb.
Posted: Sep 4, 2006 2:00 am

It isn't as strangely delicious, but a fantastic white trash dip recipe, nonetheless. Regular Ro-tel Dip might retire after this.
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 9:47 pm

Regular Ro-tel Dip might retire after this.

heresy
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 2:12 am

No joke...this one is far superior.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 2:19 pm

The best cheese for queso is landolakes "easy melt". I'm not sure if its available retail but it what most restaurants use instead of velveeta. It's not oily and it won't break. The panchos dip souind allright, except for the CUMIN. Cumin only goes on meat (at least for Mexican food).

The place I worked had kick ass queso, and it was real simple. Cheese, water, fresh tomatoes diced fine and pickled jalepenos. Not very much water, just enough to reach teh right consistancey.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 9:05 pm

for an experiment in awful, dip a cheeto in Pancho's dip, you would think it would taste like a cheeto w cheese dip on it, but it is the most awful tasting thing in the world. It is like the fake cheeses are synergists for the chemicals or something. Awful.
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 9:30 pm

HA! I will stay away from that experiment b/c all I can visualize is the cheeto disintegrating like hydrogen peroxide on a gaping wound.

Ah, the cumin is awright in this dip--remember, we are talking PANCHO'S CHEESE DIP. Ain't nothing Mexican about it. They'd look at you like you were crazy if you said the words "queso" in the restaurant.
Posted: Sep 12, 2006 4:35 am

This is all fine and good but what i really need is the recipe for the green sauce
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 12:23 pm

I grew up in West memphis, AR and left in 1979. Anytime I get within a 100 mile radius of West Memphis I start hunting for Pancho's Cheese Dip. Years ago, my sister-in-law came up with a recipe but it just wasn't the same. I'm going to try this one because it will be a while before I am back in the Mphs area and I AM DESPERATE! Pancho's Cheese Dip rules!
Posted: Feb 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Funny cos that is the year I had to move over there. I left in 1983. You can buy it premade in basically any grocery store, including Fresh Market, within a 200 mile radius of West Memphis!
Posted: Jul 28, 2011 5:25 pm

do you know the recipe for their dressing by chance?
Posted: Jul 28, 2011 5:28 pm

You can buy it in any Kroger in Memphis.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®