Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / camping & cooking
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 4:58 pm

did we talk about this already?

i usually make little foil packs with cut up potatoes, peppers & whatever other veggies I have + some sort of marinade. throw 'em in the fire for a bit and they are delicious.

but what else is good besides boring old hot dogs and hamburgers?
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 4:59 pm

an indispensible item on any camping trip is a can of EASY CHEESE.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 5:02 pm

the last time I went camping, I drove from louisiana to texas, and purchased large amounts of boudin and cracklin on the way. we camped at lockhart state park in lockhart, tx, right by the kreuz market and smitty's bbq. we ate bbq, fried pork fat, and boudin the entire time. there was no point in cooking for ourselves.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 5:02 pm

Ugh, I hate that shit! I've been into buying fancy cheese (fancy for me = aged chedder or goat cheese) at the local grocer anyways.

I want to make am impressinve camp dinner, I just don't have any insipiration right now. Help.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 5:04 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

do you have a dutch oven?
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 5:08 pm | Edited by: c lotta

Nope. But isn't a dutch over just a pot with a lid?

I have a grill that folds out over the fire pit - I have a pot I can put on that.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 5:19 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

A huge bag of inshell peanuts is great--you can play a drunk sort of Poker game with them. Basically you have no cards (this is done in the dark with like one flashlight for 6 people) but everyone gets a handful of peanuts and places their "best" (largest, most unusual shape etc) peanut in the center at the same time. The "best" one wins and gets to take all the peanuts. The one with the most peanuts wins! Whhheeeeeee! Drunk camping!
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 5:23 pm

Nothing beats a grilled steak when yer campin. Gnawin on a nice slab of juicy beef brings you even closer to your primal instincts in the wild.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 5:39 pm

Yeah, I might get lazy and just make steak tacos. I love that shit.

And thanks for the drunk peanut game suggestion! I might try that one on a Friday night here at the brewery.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 6:06 pm | Edited by: Windy

somebody take me camping. i'm having camping withdrawal. and fishing. i need to go fishing.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 6:31 pm

i like cooking brats over a fire. basically, you just make a campfire and have one of those wire rack things and put an iron skillet on it. then you put the brats in with some beer (pbr is good to cook with) and then after they're cookin' for a bit, take out the brats and put them on the fire to grill 'em for a bit. just takes a short time, so don't burn 'em.

corn is also good. soak that shit in the shucks in some water for a bit, then put them on your grill for awhile. so yummy.

i wanna go camping too now. damn it.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 6:43 pm

my fave camping breakfast is cooking bacon, then home fries and then eggs without changing the grease. mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:36 pm

somebody take me camping. i'm having camping withdrawal. and fishing. i need to go fishing.

i wanna go camping too now. damn it.

Okay, carpool to Michigan and I'll take you both here.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 7:45 pm

sand beach on the lake? I'm in. Elle, who's driving?
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 8:20 pm

i like cooking brats over a fire

oooh, i think this might be the winning idea for dinner!

and yes! bacon! how could i forget about bacon and eggs? perfect after drinking all night.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 10:57 pm

I made a pineapple upside down cake in a dutch oven at a drunken punk fest near Albuquerque

it was good
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 11:05 pm

man, windy, if my car would make it there, i'd leave now. heheh. we need to sweettalk someone with a vehicle into taking us up there. like NOW. heh.

and yes, c lotta - breakfast - muy importante. treats the hangover. i like to cut up some potatoes and fry them up in the skillet too and make some buttered toast too by basically toasting the buttered slice of bread in the skillet. mmmm. i've made sausage in an iron skillet like that too with the beer...poured beer in the skillet and just put in a sausage patty. pretty good. i like to cook with beer when i camp. heh. especially when i'm drunk.
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 11:24 pm

if my car would make it there, i'd leave now.

Steal one...it's not like you have to cross the Canadian border or anything.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 5:41 am

when i go up to the mountains all i take is water and iodine pills - then i eat some acid and don't get no munchies - a sleeping bag and a small light..

if your far enough away from the roadside camp setting, no killers will come by to run you over or shoot you..
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 5:51 am

if your far enough away from the roadside camp setting, no killers will come by to run you over or shoot you..

oh my god! i love to have the fucking shit scared outta me!

really, i do. that's why i rent lame movies like "the hills have eyes" and shit.

scare me, i dare ya. especially when i'm camping.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 5:57 am

scare me, i dare ya.

The govt. and the banking industry have conspired to implant RFID chips into your credit cards by 2007.
This eases the worry of conspiracy theorists who subscribe to the "chip implant scenario" (although it's been tried).
Your personal information will be broadcast from the wallet in your pocket or from your purse.
Soon this technology will be moved to your driver's license/ID.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 6:19 am

we need to sweettalk someone with a vehicle into taking us up there. like NOW. heh.
Uh, ladies...
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 6:21 am

This sounds real crazy, but I used to have spaghetti when I was camping. Make some sauce and freeze it in a gallon bag, put it in the cooler...take some pasta and your camp stove. You need two pans but...
There's something about spaghetti in the woods.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 6:23 am

we need to sweettalk someone with a vehicle into taking us up there. like NOW.
I don't think the National Organization of Women use mini-vans anymore, because of the stigma...
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 6:30 am

clever, Jack, clever.
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 8:01 pm

There's something about spaghetti in the woods

best spaghetti sauce i ever made was while camping - i used ground deer instead of ground beef. it was amazing.

So, who wants to drive elle and I to michigan?? (i'm batting my eyelashes a mile a minute right now)
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 8:22 pm

So, who wants to drive elle and I to michigan??

Come on somebody, give the ladies a ride...the campfire's startin' to die-down!
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 10:05 pm

build a fire pit, fill it with rocks, wrap a chicken in aluminum foil (lots of times), put the chicken in the pit with some rocks covering it, build a fire over the rocks and chicken, keep the fire going til you start feeling hungry, let the fire die, pull the chicken out of the rocks, build the fire back up, eat the chicken
Posted: Aug 26, 2006 8:53 am

oh my god! i love to have the fucking shit scared outta me!
i could give you a warm and gentle beer enema
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 1:09 am

Elle, I don't think anyone wants us to get to go camping.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 2:14 am

haven't camped in a while, but i will say that winter camping with cross country skiing invloved makes food ingenuity pretty important. got to be light weight and pack a huge caloric punch. besides, sleeping in a snow cave is 'rad'.
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 1:35 pm

Elle, I don't think anyone wants us to get to go camping.

Ahem, excuse me! You're not going to make me fly you both up here, are you??
Posted: Aug 29, 2006 4:17 pm

fly you both
yo
i want in on this?!?!
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:07 pm

if you're car camping or have the resourse to backpack in a dutch oven, then do that. dig a hole and start a fire in it, then put the dutch oven with what ever you're cooking in the hole. cover with coals and dirt and let it cook all day. stews and cobblers come out fabulous.
Posted: Jul 8, 2014 10:28 am | Edited by: Windy

ATTENTION: mt millionaire is taking me camping. For the first time.

This is what started it all, folks, and he's finally making good on his offer.

Happy Anniversary (tomorrow) Millionaire.

Edited to add: Holy Shit! it's the campground he originally linked to in this post. hahahahahaha!
Posted: Jul 8, 2014 10:48 am

What's on the menu?
Posted: Jul 10, 2014 4:49 pm

funny you ask. the millionaire made the reservation. i assumed he planned it all out. he assumed i would. we had a package of hotdogs in the fridge and a partial package of buns. we forgot utensils for cooking over a fire, but we did have some plastic cutlery. hilarity ensued. then we ate some chips and went to bed hungry. and we went out to breakfast. the end.
Posted: Jul 18, 2014 11:50 am

love it. food just tastes better when you're living outside.

Windy, didn't the kids get hungry?
Posted: Aug 1, 2014 11:03 pm

Jesse Garon - we didn't have the kids that day.
Posted: Aug 5, 2014 11:52 am

ah. the FREEDOM. that's what camping is all about.
Posted: Aug 13, 2014 11:24 am

ah. the FREEDOM. that's what camping is all about.

exactly
Posted: Aug 13, 2014 11:48 am

my kid hates camping! "you have to read with a flashlight, and there's bugs" Sheesh.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®