Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Cook-offs?? Anybody do these?
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 8:56 pm

I entered a chili cook-off. I was one of three people out of about thirty-five that brought straight chili to the competition. Everybody thinks that chili MUST have beans in it. I won the "Thick 'N' Meaty" award. I won a prize. When I went up to accept the award I almost said, "I've won the 'thick 'n' meaty' award before but this is the first time I've got it for chili... he, he, he." I chicken out and didn't say it. There were old ladies there that reminded me of my Grandma.
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 9:31 pm

hee-haaww!!

Save me a bowl.

Actually, you make texas style red? post the recipe!
Posted: Aug 1, 2006 9:48 pm

I don't have the recipe with me but it's basically 3 pounds of ground beef.

1 cup a ground up Mild Chiles. I think these are the New Mexicos, might be California. I've done it both ways. The hot way my brothers love but my wife can't eat. I take whole dried chiles and grind them in a coffee grinder.

4 or 5 whole white onions liquified in a blender

About 3 or 4 medium tomatoes done the same.

I add the powdered chile to the beef and add maybe a tablespoon of salt, 2 tblspns black pepper, garlic powder and maybe something else...

Brown the beef and then add all the liquified vegitables.
Bring it to a boil and put it on low.
Cook it for 5 or 6 hours, stirring it every 1/2 hour so it doesn't stick to the bottom.

You can eat it that night but it's always better the next day.

I think that's it. I did start writing down what I was doing while I was cooking and it makes a huge difference.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 3:21 am

Add some cumin and a wee bit of mexican oregano and you have a great basic chili recipe. Try using half cubed stew meat and half ground.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 4:05 am

half cubed

Ain't that a rectangle?
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 4:57 am

As in 2 pounds of stewmeat and 2 pounds ground. Maybe a little....

HABANERO!
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 5:02 am

NO!!!
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:37 pm

Try using half cubed stew meat and half ground

The last batch I did was chuck style... I left everything in bigger pieces. It came out more like a stew than chile that you'd put over a hotdog or sloppy joe but after reheating it the next day it started to break down and get a nice texture.

As far as the Habanero goes, it's like this; I grew up in So. Cal. on Mexican food atleast 3 times a week. All my family is real big on spicy hot food. I got married and my wife is the opposite, no spice, so anything I make I keep her in mind. After years of this my heat tolerance has dropped considerably. I tend to make things a little more mild than I know in my heart they should be.

One more thing, I not opposed to chili with beans. I just think that chili should be made straight and if you want it with beans or spaghetti make it on the side and pour the straight chili over it. It's better that way.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 6:39 pm

my family does BBQ cook-offs. i have a trophy in my room for ribs. heartattack man (pops) has about a billion trophies.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 7:30 pm

I make my chili with coarse-ground beef and chunks of pork (loin or shoulder.) I usually use about 5 kinds of peppers, too- jalapeńo, serrano, habanero, arbol, and japonesa. And I add tomatillos for texture. I use masa harina for thickening, when needed. I always put beans in it for more bulk, but I'm intrigued about this idea where you just pour the straight chili over the beans. I'm gonna give this a try next time.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 8:15 pm

My little brother did a BBQ cook-off in San Bernardino. He said it was huge. He fell asleep in the middle of the night while his ribs were cooking. He won anyway for best baby-back ribs. Ha
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 8:33 pm

heartattack man
Is he back at the shop, yet?
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 9:58 pm

heartattack man
Is he back at the shop, yet?

nope. not yet. he's still lounging around the house in pig patterned knit pants. he's pretty weak still, but doing fine.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 10:04 pm

my dad used to do the bbq cookoffs too - one in marion, ar and the big one over for memphis in may and a couple others around. he doesn't do it anymore since the guy he used to cook with tried to steal his smoker/grill a couple years back. we've been talking about restarting and doing memphis in may again next year. i've been tweakin' my bbq sauce recipe so we'll have some killer shit. mmmmmmhmmmm.
Posted: Aug 2, 2006 10:05 pm

your dad is a doll! I thought he kinda looked familiar. what was his team?
Posted: Aug 8, 2006 3:46 am

***adult chilli*** awesome
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®