Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 6:36 am

what
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 7:53 am

What? There's one in NYC?
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 12:42 pm

I used to to the one near raleigh springs mall with my dad when i was a wee lass...
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 8:22 pm

There was a big murder trial in Memphis back in the 60's concerning the Montesi family. I was a little kid and it was on the news constantly so it even made an impression on me. Later on ,I used to return coke bottles for the deposits at Montesi's. One time I got enough to buy the Deep Purple Made in Japan album.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 8:25 pm

Oh yeah .one late night at Montesi's ,I saw Isaac Hayes getting cussed out by his wife ( I guess it was his wife). He was buying beer and cream cheese.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 8:32 pm

A buddy of mine was drunk and threw a brick through Montesi's plate glass window. He was mad because (I think) the Montesi dude was acquitted of murdering his wife.

My moms says that Montesi used to have really good, homemade mayo. I fucking hate mayo, so I wouldn't know.

Later on ,I used to return coke bottles for the deposits at Montesi's

Anyone remember when Coke bottles had the peel of plastic that would reveal either 5, 10, or 25 cent signs on them. You could trade them in for the money. My brother and I used to go to all the laundrymattes with a coat hanger, string, and a magnet to fish them jokers out of the coke machines.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 4:31 pm

No Montesi's in NYC (yet). Just felt like I needed to say it. Why I'm compelled to say shit like that when I'm completely faced on a Saturday night rather than drinking and dialing I may never know.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 7:17 pm

i remember my dad getting in an argument and starting a fight with some guy. the whole family was in the station wagon parked out front the montesi's watching.
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 3:42 am

How can anyone have a thread about Montesi's and not mention the Your Favorite Cookies aisle?
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 4:10 am

All I can recall about the Midtown Montesi's is that huge scale they had right in the front door. That and the bad ass neon sign. Didn't the one on White Station have that huge statue of the guy carrying bags of groceries that looked exactly like Jack Eaton?
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 4:21 am

Didn't the one on White Station have that huge statue of the guy carrying bags of groceries that looked exactly like Jack Stands?
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 2:39 pm | Edited by: Rumpleforeskin

Didn't the one on White Station have that huge statue of the guy carrying bags of groceries that looked exactly like Jack Eaton?
I think that was Giant Foods which are now Piggly Wigglys as well as Montesi's. there was one on Whitehaven nearby and across from Graceland.
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 2:57 pm

That is right--Giant Foods--makes sense. I don't think we had one in Midtown. Hey, my uncle and I were trying to figure this out the other day: Where Ike's was, did that used to be a Big Star back long ago?
Posted: Dec 28, 2007 3:31 pm

I wanna say it was a Pic -Pac but I'm not 100% sure.
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 2:17 pm

There may have been no Montesi's grocery without my Grandmother...she was a Montesi in Italy and her family got a letter that her brother's wife had died and they had four kids in Shelby Mississippi.
He needed help and asked for one of his sisters to come help.
My Grandma Anna was 13 years old when she left Italy on a cattle boat and came to the USA via the port of New Orleans...never to see her Mother and Father again.
They all came to Memphis years later

On her first visit back to Italy MANY years later after WWII, to see her brothers and sisters for the first time since she left, my uncle went with her since she couldn't walk so well...he took a 8mm movie camera and filmed the reunion.
Her village turned out for her like she was a hero and had a huge feast.
I still cry when I see it because she IS a hero.

Anna Montesi Battistelli.
RIP
Posted: Dec 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Pic -Pac

I had completely spaced out the existence of Pic Pac until right then!
Posted: Dec 30, 2007 1:12 am

best selection of edible pork by-products in Memphis
Posted: Dec 30, 2007 2:06 am

thanks for that story, Golightly.
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 8:01 pm

Personal service!

Selection galore!

Truly helpful people who save you more!

The people you know...

Are the people who go...

To Fred Montesi's

MONTESI'S!!!
Posted: Sep 29, 2008 6:24 pm

I would love to find out more about Anna Montesi could
Golightly contact me? cdonut8@aol.com. I love finding new family
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®