Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Run to the ghetto Kroger
Posted: Jul 14, 2006 9:14 pm

Kroger on Cleveland is changing everything up. Back near the bacon is a shelf of things they are discontinuing...a lot of specialty foods. Nothing's over a dollar. They have lots of Mexican and Spanish stuff, good olives and olive sauces, baba ganoush, Chinese spices and sauces. Bags of dried beans for 25 cents, etc.
They're going fast, but it's worth the trip. I got tons of stuff I can never afford.
Posted: Jul 14, 2006 9:18 pm

Pick me up some enchilada sauce, bith! SHOOT!
Posted: Jul 14, 2006 11:29 pm

Here are some of the things I got. Sorry bj!
7 oz bottle of Peloponnese Kalamata Olives - $1
can Herdez green chilis salsa - .22 cents
7 oz bottle Peloponnese Olive Antipasto - .95 cents
Fajita marinade - .47 cents
can chipolte peppers - .47 cents
Wasa sourdough rye pack - .74 cents
Barzi mixed peppercorns - .50 cents
can of anchovies - .45 cents
big thing of Adobo seasoning - .50 cents
jar capers - .47 cents

And the list goes on! Chinese marinades and pepper sauces for $1 a piece. Nice!
Posted: Jul 15, 2006 5:11 am

Kroger bought up almost every chain grocery store out here but Safeway.
They had a good price on gals of peanut oil, then two months later I go back and no more Kroger brand peanut oil. The store manager says, we discontinued it.
Posted: Jul 15, 2006 7:26 pm

so do people call this store ghetto kroger cause of the black folks that shop there..
Posted: Jul 15, 2006 7:32 pm

No, because you're a splib.
Posted: Jul 15, 2006 7:38 pm

Well I hear that the Kike Shcnucks has rye bagels on sale 3 for a buck...
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 1:25 am | Edited by: Alisa

Well, I'm not black but I shop there, pretty much exclusively.
I don't know if I'm a splib or not.
It's on Cleveland, kind of in the hood.

A lot of homeless and poor people shop there...hang out in the parking lot. I had a pretty intense experience when I was there the other day. There were two homeless women shopping, and I have never smelled anything that bad. Not in the subways in NYC, not anywhere. They weren't even on the same aisle, but this horrible acrid, ammonia smell was overpowering where they had just been. It was sad.
Jackson shopped with me that day, and it was an eye-opener for that little white Snowden Clue kid. You can talk to them all day about the fact that some people actually live on the street, and about how lucky their little lives are but they don't really realize until they see it like that.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 1:53 am

Man I shop at "ghetto Kroger" 3-4- a week and belive me if you want ghetto try out the Save-a-lot that is right off of jackson a few blocks west of watkins.. I wouldn't go in that joint if sauces and the such were free..
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 2:52 am

Man..Krogers are scarce round these parts. When in the Midwest or Kentucky shop here:
www.meijer.com
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 2:56 am

Yeah, I live about a mile from that Save-a-lot and have never had the nerve to go in there.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 5:53 am

My buddys mom always called it Murder City back when it was across the street.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 12:45 pm

I call it the ghetto Kroger cuz every time i go in there I see people in they house shoes.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 6:05 pm

i call the place kroghetto. heh. i love going there to make a last minute beer run right before 3 in the morning and getting stuck behind a woman with her children buying their groceries for the entire month and using food stamps. love that shit.
Posted: Jul 16, 2006 11:24 pm

clue is still around? i was in clue for like a month then i got kicked out.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 3:31 pm

www.meijer.com

I was an undercover security person there for a while during college. Fun stuff!
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 7:21 pm

I was in clue for 4 years -

Creative Learning in a Unique Environment - aka - i aint got to go to your stupid math class, Ima go read a comic book and draw a picture!

In other news, after working out last night I went on a run to the ghetto kroger cause I thought that I wouldn't see anyone I knew while I was in my sweaty sweats. This older black lady stops me in the frozen food aisle and asks, "Do you have a black husband?"

I replied no and then she said, "you look like you have a black husband."

Um, wtf?
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 7:58 pm

do you got back?
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 8:56 pm

thanks for the tip, stocked on pickled jalapenos/carrots for months.
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 9:08 pm

Oh yea, she's got back....or did you have a black eye. Or maybe you were at the hog jowl section or possible purchasing some hot souse. I love that kroger but thier gourmet cheese selecton sucks...........
Posted: Jul 17, 2006 11:27 pm

i just got back from there myself...thanks for the tip, alisa. i got me some chipotle peppers, some fajita marinade, some black beans, some serrano peppers, a thing of unground coriander, some savory seasoning, szchewan sauce, a big bag of rice, and all kindsa other goodies for the lowlow.

i also got hit on 3 fucking times when i went in there. it never fails that some guy will always come up to me while i am grocery shopping at kroghetto and be like "hey i wanna come and eat what you're cooking, sexy" or something similar. that never happens at schnuck's.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 2:18 am

glad y'all scored, too. I got all excited buying that stuff.

I never get hit on there. Never.
Well, the cashier always hugs me, but I don't think she counts, does she?
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:44 am

the one cashier lady who is an older white lady who wears the crazy red fur coat in the winter time rules. she's always so sweet to me.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 4:34 am

oh...i got this pasta sauce there that i tried out and it rules the universe. i think there are a couple more left. it is a brand called lucini and it's a rustic basil sauce. i ate some of that and it rocked my universe. big slices of basil in it. holy shit. good stuff. it was maybe 1.50 when i got it. it normally is 6 dollars per jar there. i looked online and they sell it on their website bulk for 7 a jar...but only if you buy 6 jars. if you're not in the mood to make your own shit, i'd say go for that.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 5:14 am

Oh yea, she's got back

I'm gonna pretend you meant that as a compliment.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 6:05 am

I shop in Chinatown whenever I'm in the mood for goat or lamb.
jerk goat on the grill and ice cold red stripe..
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 6:32 am

Come on people.. Ghetto is the PC way to say nigger,niggerish,niggery etc....
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 6:55 am

I did.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 2:00 pm

Wait a minute...Elvis was actually PC singing "In the Nigger"?
Fercrissakes, the ghetto Kroger is IN THE GHETTO. A poor neighborhood...
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 2:17 pm

oh! i thought you wrote .."run from the ghetto kroger." i bought a lowbow for .37 cents and half a goat for 22 bucks. word of the week "niggerish." jay you can have half of my half of goat.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 3:14 pm

like I said...I call it the ghetto Kroger cause I see people in they house shoes - white and black.

besides, I go there to look for a black husband.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 7:57 pm

I've seen an entire family at that kroger barefoot so house shoes is ballin' in comparison.
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 9:24 pm

the ghetto Kroger is IN THE GHETTO. A poor neighborhood...
No its not 1 street over houses sell for 250,000 bucks or more.. Tons of fuckin yups and well of whiteys ..... Crosstown is not the fucking ghetto bitches!!! Cooper fuckin young is ...
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 9:46 pm

Elvis was actually PC singing "In the Nigger"?
probably, everyone knows elvis hated black people
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 10:31 pm | Edited by: Rachelandthecity

Crosstown is not the fucking ghetto bitches!!!

dude! YOU'RE offended?

it's called ghetto kroger cause it's dirty and poor people go there (including me!)
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 11:21 pm

I promise you that you ain't poor.... If you want ghetto look down the alley next to vans asian market.. thats poor and thats "ghetto" or as I think Eric said that alley is " total 4th world "

And no Im not offended.. I just reallylove it when white folks think something is ghetto when it really ain't that bad
Posted: Jul 18, 2006 11:40 pm

I assure you that I am poor - we can compare w-4's at your next show.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 12:00 am

I dont file taxes sorry...
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 12:57 am

I love it when people who name their band by poking fun at the mentally challenged get offended when someone else happens to make a similarly un-pc offhand comment about what is obviously the most houseshoes' wearin', crazings grocery store in mid-town.

Irony. Look it up.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 1:20 am

As I say again I'm not offended it takes more that a bunch of midtown crackers pokin fun at darky to piss me off I promise.. The Irony would be an aged Indie Rocker who has made a nice chunk of change off of our black brothers musical history not being offended ...

But you are right Sherman the place is totally ghetto .. I was in the cereal isle and heard some dude with no shoes singing "Crosscut Saw" I recorded it with my field recorder. Ya wanna put it out on you label ? Going Once Going Twice.....
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 1:25 am

Hee=Haw! Keep that p.c. irony coming!

Jay-Jay, thanks for the offer of a record release. I'll humbly pass as I'm not worthy to work with an artist of your stature.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 1:34 am

I mean if you are worthy of that great Kelley Deal 7" you sure cant pass on Blind Willy Cereal Isle's talk on the classic "Crosscut Saw"

I'm even sure he will take half as much as you paid Will Roy for his cut of the same song...

So I would say you owe him half a pint of whiskey for the track...
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 1:42 am

"Reatard" band member decide what is politically correct for all whites, yuppies, & midtowners to think & say! Jay Reatard the moral conscience for Memphis & the world!

Keep us honest, pot, there is a kettle looking for ya!

HEE=HAW!
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 1:46 am

I love Retards my grandmother raised them ..She turned her house into a home for retards and I loved them...

Heres the Kettle calling you a nigger
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 2:04 am

Tell me how you really feel!

Seriously, Jay-Jay, it's none of your business how much I paid Will Roy Sanders, but it is ironic that you would say what you did. Will Roy has been paid far more than any other artist I have ever worked with except for the Grifters, who toured much more and therefore made more money.

Sorry you didn't like the Kelley Deal single. I still love that one. Thanks for the promotion, though! That record is pretty much out of print, and the mention should finally help to sell it out.

How are the anger management classes coming?

The "aged indie rocker" thing is great! HEE=HAW! That's how I look at myself too.

Can't imagine what they will call you when you reach my age! Aging, angry drumstick up his ass guy? Aging rolling in the glass 'cause the music doesn't cut it guy?
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 2:25 am

Im sure you took care of Will Roy Sherman... I think its cool that you hepled the guy out. Just bustin your balls...Also heard you had alot to do with the Stax stuff .Thats rad as well.

FYI Drum stick up the butt = 4 years ago = old news plus you werent even there just hear say as far as you know.

And rolling in glass = 8 years / 40 records ago.. I was a kid for christ sakes

I have played hundreds of shows to thousands of people across the world with out antics Sherman.. And as far as my music not cutting it that just as subjective as me sauing you ran a shitty excuse for a record label..

Not really angry just killing time on a message board . You know this stuff isn't exactly for real ..

Now back to food... Cooked anything good lately ?
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 2:33 am

It's all good, man, just go e.z. on these ladies who don't know how angry you are! And keep on rockin' out--Zac made fun of me for dancing to one of your songs he was spinnin' at the Bucc a few months ago. I was drunk, but the song sounded good to me. Can't be all bad, can it? HEE=HAW!

Here's what's good lately: 1) cuban at soul fish 2) thursday special at the new orleans place on madison where leech's used to be (with a name like that, how'd they go outta bizness?) 3) philly cheese steak at South Philly (yes, good food near beale st!) 4) lasagna at the old wolf's camera on mclean/madison.

I don't cook much but burgers & occasionally charlie's filets--best price in town. Too bad it costs 10$ in gas to get there. Someone should fedex those things to midtown.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 2:47 am

Soul fish Cuban = Great shit everything about it is right.
Ate at the "new Orleans place" once wasn't that great but they had just opened. What is the Thursday special ?
My buddy Sam says the Lasagna at that joint in great how much is a slice? I'm into checking it out..

By the way Hot Monkey 10" = A OK

Now Corn Fed well thats a different story :)

I mostly been eatin on Viet food . I live off of cleveland so its quick to grab .
Also been cooking tons of stuff from Viet Hoa market. They got crazy ass crabs on ther that I have itchin to boil up with some old bay..

I'll take it easy on the ladies but man I love my crosstown Kroger!!
Just don't hit that junt up past 8 o'clock and it aint so "ghetto"

BTW I'm not angry just uptight..
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 2:57 am

So was Booker T. & the MGs!!!!!

Thursday special is chicken cordon bleu on a bed of rice with the most amazing tasso cream sauce. Stay away from their sandwiches. Their soups & specials are the best. Esp. crab & corn chowder soup. Yowza!

We threw away most of the Corn Fed cds this spring. Their friends wouldn't even buy it (!) and Earles wouldn't even come pick the cds up. Not a proud moment in Memphis music history. Jughead asked me for the cd cases after I threw 'em away.
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 3:09 am

Jay, check out what the whities are sayin about my local supermarket on some other message board-- this shit is hilarious:

"sadly i'm noticing the nice sava center becoming what the winn dixie had become. the parking lot full of gangsta type people, people parking where ever they want and the inside of the store like a jungle. hopefully the management can get a handle on it before it gets out of hand. it was real nice when the store first opened and the bad element hadn't returned yet. just voicing my concern as i watch our city bowing to the criminal element again."
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 3:47 am

God lets just put all back on a boat...Aint no krogers in Africa ya heard..
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 3:47 am

God lets just put all back on a boat...Aint no krogers in Africa ya heard..
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 1:19 pm

You, know, you guys worked yourself outta that one pretty well.

I'm almost proud.

Goner's all growed up.

Only here could a discussion about Kroger warp into an argument about race, drumstick placement and Will Roy Sanders.

Viva la Goner!
Posted: Jul 19, 2006 3:35 pm | Edited by: Golightly

I got a little tear in my eye.....
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 1:08 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

the parking lot full of gangsta type people, people parking where ever they want and the inside of the store like a jungle.

"gangsta type people". That made my day...do you think when they wrote the "inside of the store like a jungle" that they REALLY meant "really intolerably niggerish"???
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 1:11 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

P.S. what I am hating is these cokehead, rocknroll casualties here in Portland saying "nigger" this & that like it makes them look really badass. I need to have a "Say Nigger Over on THIS Corner!" Portland Challenge to separate the wheat from the chafe. I'll charge $1 and a strip of mexican Valiums to enter...something each of these fuckheads will have on their person at all times.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 4:37 am

lord, don't even get me started. i call it kroghetto affectionately. if i felt it was truly ghetto and unsafe and scary, i wouldn't shop there, especially at 3am. if you wanna know a true kroGHETTO, roll up to over-the-rhine in cincinnati on vine street, and you can find one i wouldn't go shopping at...but then again, i lived there during the riots, so things may have changed by now.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 7:11 am

i call it kroghetto affectionately

thanks, elle. I din'nt mean nothing, I swear. PC is just so confusing.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 3:45 pm

PC is just the worst. Imagine living here if you want confusing. One moment some hipster is saying they are "nigger rich" and the next another hipster is lambasting you for referring to blacks as "they". And boy do I hate that--blacks are most certainly "they" in many instances, it doesn't mean I hate blacks, y'all, it means "they are black and I am white" (sing in the "Ebony & Ivory" tune).

And to finish up---yeah, it is kroghetto. I grew up over there on Stonewall in the 80's. As long as that Jack Pirtles remains in that lot and there is noticible grime all over the shopping cart handles and floors...it is going to retain its ghettoish pallor.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 8:56 pm

ghettoish pallor.
good phrase

can i use this?
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 8:57 pm

Oh, be my guest. But if it gets you famous, be sure and credit me in the interviews.
Posted: Jul 20, 2006 11:01 pm

i don't believe in interviews
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:30 am

Its a fucking Kroger open 24hrs at polar and clevlaand....pick it apart if you want but its always open. I'm hungry, cant sleep geuss what....Kroger. If you have ever lived in a neighborhood where you might be fodder for a hustler or a crude remark....so fucking what. Get your groceries act like a dick and go home. No one is going to rob you, just wait for the drunken Rhodes students trying to beat three'oclock.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:45 am

i got banned from that kroger about 8 months ago for fighting some jungle bunny who wouldnt leave me the fuck alone and gave me shit for being white. i guess theyve forgotten me by now...i may stop backl in
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:47 am

No one is going to rob you, j

bullshit
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:48 pm

JUNGLE BUNNY!

Holy shit...that is a blast from the fucking past. What is next? Jigaboo? Fucking christ.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 11:51 pm

Seriously, the cotton carnival was in may, sean. You missed the parade and those zany bo-weevils.

On a tastier note, Memphis does have a good Italian restaurant downtown--where cupboard II used to be on madison. Conte. Must be good italian; fratello was holding court there today.
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:04 am | Edited by: Alisa

Holy shit...that is a blast from the fucking past. What is next? Jigaboo?

Call a spade a spade.

J/K!!!!!!!!
Hey this kind of reminds me of that really funny Richard Pryor/Chevy Chase sketch where they sat across from each other and traded racial insults. I think "nigger" was actually said...it was real ground-breaking comedy, then.
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:07 am

I remember that skit very well. It was when people still used the words "honky" and "jungle bunny". And "Spear Chucker".
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:10 am

Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:13 am

yeah, that one was great.
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:24 am

Frank Sinatra: "You are black, and I am white
Life's an Eskimo Pie, let's.. take a bite!
That was groovy thinkin'
Lincoln, when you set them freeeeeee...

We all know
Cats are the same
Maine to Mexico.
Good. Bad.
Guys and chicks!"

Stevie Wonder: "I am dark, and you are light."

Frank Sinatra: "You are blind as a bat, and I have sight!
Side by side, you are my amigo,
Negro, let's not fiiiiiiiight!"
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:57 am

The good old days...when PC was recognized for what it is.
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 2:18 am

There was a moment in time where people could take a fucking joke AND not run around spouting off racist epithets like morons. Ah, the good old days.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 2:08 pm | Edited by: m t millionaire

"Spear Chucker"

That was one of the first words/phrases of English that Hiroshi from the Registrators even learned, thanks to Greg Lowery.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 3:51 pm

Hey this kind of reminds me of that really funny Richard Pryor/Chevy Chase sketch where they sat across from each other and traded racial insults. I think "nigger" was actually said...it was real ground-breaking comedy, then.

Word association:
"Jungle Bunny"
"Honky"
"Spade"
"Honky honky"
"Nigger"
"Dead honky!"
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 7:54 am

Porch monkey 4 life.....Takin it back
Posted: Aug 18, 2006 12:23 am

It's called "getto kroger" cause you got a 1 in 9 chance of getting into a physical altercation right there in the parking lot! I lived in that neighborhood two times so far. Those motherfuckers want blood, fear and money. And I aint givin' it to em people's temple(SAM).If you stand on the roof of your house you can see it! Don't tell me tose people don't give you a hard time in the parking lot.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 9:40 pm

I think it's funny you have a Kroger you call "ghetto Kroger" (we actually have two or three "ghetto Kroger's" in Columbus also) but one of ours is also on a street called Cleveland Avenue. They always have good prices on seafood, like super cheap. Not fish, but things like scallops and oysters. I guess the 'locals' don't care for 'em much... Dana won't let me go to the ghetto Kroger after dark alone.
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 10:53 pm

cant pass on Blind Willy Cereal Isle's talk on the classic "Crosscut Saw"

that shit is HEE-larious...even if it is spelled wrong
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 10:56 pm

and the inside of the store like a jungle

do they mean the produce is so fresh it's actually growing from trees and you have to fight monkeys for it
Posted: Aug 22, 2006 11:00 pm

oh yeah and by "monkeys" I wasn't talkng about mad niggerish people but actual monkeys
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 2:31 pm

One time I found a $20 bill in that store.

Back when I was living in the ghetto & didn't have a phone, I would walk to that Kroger & use the pay phone to call my little mama. Man did I see some shit sitting out there @ 3AM.
One time I saw a guy run out with a security guard in hot persuit, along with three Kroger employess chasing them. The security guard lept & tackeled the dude & then all four commenced a massive beat down on the dude. They finally pulled a pack of steaks from his pants. Crazy.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®