Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / carmalized onions
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 2:39 pm

This technique has always eluded me. I've tried low heat, high heat, buttter, olive oil, cast iron, non-stick and sure enough I end up with almost burnt onions.

Any tips?
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 3:57 pm

Obviously, the spelling eludes me as well. I mean carmElized onions.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 4:00 pm

I am sure Theresa K will be on here tout suite to give you the rundown. Ryan does these perfectly too. It is a long process. You can also do them in a slow cooker, but the pan is typical.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 5:27 pm

Yeah, a trick is to throw 'em in the Crock Pot with some butter, put it on LOW, and let that shit carmelize itself.

In a pan, cast iron is ideal, and just LOW heat, LOTS of butter or olive oil (I prefer butter), and cook for a LONG time. Keep your eye on those fuckers, stir occasionally, and they should be all right.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 5:31 pm

yeah, I think the number one ruiner of carmelized onions is impatience. I have problems with that too.
Posted: Jun 13, 2006 6:02 pm

In a pan, cast iron is ideal, and just LOW heat, LOTS of butter or olive oil (I prefer butter), and cook for a LONG time. Keep your eye on those fuckers, stir occasionally, and they should be all right.

he got it!

i use a combo of olive oil & butter. butter burns faster.... i add it later

you can also put em in the oven and they will carmelize themselves. i roast veggies all the time in the over - rub olive oil over them, put them in a pan and roast around 300 til the aroma tells me to pay attention
Posted: Jun 16, 2006 5:04 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Finishing the onions with some form of meat grease doesn't hurt either. I'll cook onions in olive oil for awhile on a teflon pan, and they'll still be soft white, almost steamed. As soon as I drop the sliced kielbasa into the onion saute, they carmelize within minutes. Onions cooked on top of a beef roast or in the roaster also seem to carmelize perfectly with little work.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 12:12 am

Try this put some butter in a pan and then put a sliced onion in the butter and let it cook for a little bit. Then pour beer and sugar in the pan and let it soak until all the liquid has cooked out. It is so good I promise.
Posted: Feb 22, 2007 12:43 am

Sugar is indeed a nice little trick to quicken the process. Carmelizing shallots is great too.
Posted: Feb 25, 2007 4:38 am

Whenever the onions are starting to burn, I throw a little water in the pot (only about a tablespoon) to keep the moisture in. As long as you cook slow and low and don't let them dry out, you should be good.
Posted: Feb 27, 2007 6:18 am

i carmelized some onions tonight as a topping for garlic mashed potatoes
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®