Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Annoying Food Terms
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 9:52 pm

I started this on another (foodie) board but they ended up arguing about whether or not is was "OK" to call pasta sauce "gravy" and I don't have time for that silliness.

I said the two things that grate on me lately are "sammies" for "sandwiches" and "Bennies" for "Eggs Benedict".
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 9:53 pm

Blame it on rachel ray, that ho.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 9:53 pm

all of rachael ray's acronyms grate on me: EVO (extra virgin olive oil) most especially
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 9:55 pm

broccoli
liver
burnt
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 10:00 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

I really hate it when people say "apps" instead of "appetizers." I know this is service industry shorthand, but fuck you, I don't work in a goddamned kitchen. Spare me.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 10:11 pm

" to call pasta sauce "gravy

It's an east coast thing. "Sunday gravy". I hate foodies. I have a great amount of contempt for most "fine dining". The best meals I have ever had were in places that yuppie foodie types would be frightened of.

EVO (extra virgin olive oil) most especia

Yeah, that got old in about two seconds. Fuck 30 minute meals.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 10:18 pm

Posted: Jun 2, 2006 10:36 pm

theresa, i'm with you on that EVOO thing. rachel ray is fucking annoying as shit. and i'm already a member of that livejournal community. hahah.
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 10:36 pm

y'all read Kitchen Confidential?
i think tony bourdain hates foodies too
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 10:49 pm

if you go to my myspace page you will see that I am in the rachael ray fan club.

so y'all better watch your mouths
Posted: Jun 2, 2006 11:02 pm

I really hate it when people say "apps" instead of "appetizers." I know this is service industry shorthand, but fuck you, I don't work in a goddamned kitchen. Spare me.
Add "mash" to that list when used in lieu of "mashed potatoes", e.g. garlic mash.

theresa, i'm with you on that EVOO thing.
The thing that bugs me about her use of this abbreviation is that she always says what EVOO stands for when she uses it. Why use an abbreviation at all, if you're going to say what the abbreviation stands for everytime?

Also, I avoid like the plague any restaurant that uses "California Cusine" in its description. All that term means is that it will cost too much money and the portions will be so small that I'll have to stop at Jack in the Box on the way home.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 1:59 am

Not really a "food term," but what's REALLY grating me these days is the proliferation of monsyllabic words as business names. For instance, in Portland there are wine bars (also annoying in general) called "Pour" and "Cork" and there's a crepe place called "Fold"... the list goes on, and it ain't just restaurants that are doin' it.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 2:42 am

Thirst

is yet another Portland monosyllabic wine bar
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 2:43 am

And Carney, joe (dixon) and i have an entire community of foodies hating US!!!!

It rules.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 3:40 am

Not really a "food term," but what's REALLY grating me these days is the proliferation of monsyllabic words as business names. For instance, in Portland there are wine bars (also annoying in general) called "Pour" and "Cork" and there's a crepe place called "Fold"... the list goes on, and it ain't just restaurants that are doin' it.

HAH!!!! This was my gripe the entire time I was in Chicago! Wicker Park is fucking chocked full of these places. Even the place attached to the Empty Bottle is called "Bite", and Rick Neilsen's Pizza place is called "Piece." It just stinks of pretention.

Although here I guess there is some fag wine store called "sip" and a pizza place called "slice" so I shouldn't really talk shit. I have patronized both establishments.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 3:44 am

I love to be hated.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 3:49 am

One of these days I'm opening a strip club called "Tit."
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 4:03 am

One of these days I'm opening a strip club called "Tit."

Biggest laugh all night. merci.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 4:31 am

HAH!!!! This was my gripe the entire time I was in Chicago! Wicker Park is fucking chocked full of these places. Even the place attached to the Empty Bottle is called "Bite", and Rick Neilsen's Pizza place is called "Piece." It just stinks of pretention.

Although here I guess there is some fag wine store called "sip" and a pizza place called "slice" so I shouldn't really talk shit. I have patronized both establishments.

ha! i heard you griping about the monosyballic eateries...............then i went to filter and had an italian soda
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 4:45 am

not only is filter not monosyllabic, but it is awesome. it's like this self contained biosphere II experiment, where the yuppies and the hipsters have this symbiotic relationship in which the hipsters depend on the yuppies for money and the yuppies depend on the hipsters to feel like they're still cool and slumming it up. That was a really long sentence, I apologize.
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 4:45 pm

Donde esta "Filter"?
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 6:58 pm

wicker fart
Posted: Jun 3, 2006 10:03 pm

heh. we have "dish" here in memphis that fits right in with that pattern.
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 12:06 am

Dish is Gay.
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 2:39 am

More annoyances:

The term "movement", i.e. "The Raw Food Movement".
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 3:33 am

yeah, I've got a movement for you right here, movementarians!
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 5:57 am

sometimes i go for days without any movements.it hurts.
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 6:09 pm

I hate it when I wait on people who use terms like that... like '86' especially. THat is so queer.
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 7:36 pm

I mean, I love food, recipes, cooking shows etc but this foodie thing is sad---it is like a bunch of nerds who work in accounting who think of the restaurant and cooking like a professional rugby league that they have convinced themselves they are an important player in.
Posted: Jun 4, 2006 10:10 pm

i just realized i do this.

across the street i go to a gas station to get 91c. refills on blue powerade.

i simply call the powerade "blue".

please forgive me.
Posted: Jun 5, 2006 6:55 pm

Swig or as I like to call it..."I'm going to end up getting my ass kicked for running my mouth by a guy named atlas in madris shorts and flip flops".
Posted: Jun 5, 2006 8:07 pm

Haricot Vert's is a really annoying term for green beans.
Posted: Jun 5, 2006 8:49 pm

The snooty foreign-language thing I can abide. I REALLY don't like it when these new, "minimalist" spots that seem to be popping up everywhere use "unconventional" menu descriptions. Like, I can't remember where it was, but the "Salads" section of the menu was titled "Weeds." That's supid, and not ground-breaking, and didn't anyone ever tell you that irony doesn't print?

Also, I dislike it when the chef's name is on the menu (I saw this most recently at Mint/820). Another thing: a long diatribe on the menu about how "We try our damnedest to use fresh, local, organic, seasonal ingredients responsibly sourced because blah blah blah." You know, I read Fast Food Nation, too. Like, two years ago. Spare me the lecture.
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 3:54 pm

Womb Raider totally nailed the aesthetic of Filter (and Wicker Park in general)(not to mention most of Logan Square). The worst monosyllabic bar name in Chicago goes to none other than "Tryst." Is it legal to have a martini in a bar called "Tryst" if you're not gay or Sarah Jessica Parker?
Posted: Jun 7, 2006 5:54 pm

I hope the signs on the restrooms say "DICK" & "GASH".
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®