Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Summer cocktails?
Posted: May 7, 2006 3:47 am

My favorite (year-round, but 'specially in the summer) is Campari + soda with limes. I also really love a good mint julip- though I like 'em less sweet than usual. I had a really good drink at Savoy in Portland (which, by the way, was REALLY good, food-wise) that was Pernod and watered-down lemonade on the rocks. Damn, I have a feeling I'm gonna go through a lot of Pernod this summer.

Anyone got any other recs?
Posted: May 7, 2006 3:48 am

Also- limoncello and iced tea on the rocks. Mmmmmmmmm.....
Posted: May 7, 2006 3:49 am

vodka + pink lemonade.

HEY JOE!

PARTY!!!!!!
Posted: May 7, 2006 4:01 am

My favorite (year-round, but 'specially in the summer) is Campari + soda with limes.

mine too! it really does quench the thirst AND spark the appetite.
Posted: May 7, 2006 4:41 pm

I have never had Pernod or Campari. What are they like?

I hate mint in anything. Mojitos--UGH. Mint=Toothpaste.

I wonder what lemonade would taste like with champagne? Vodka and lemonade is delectable and I am definitely going to try pomegranate, extra ice and vodka...or watered down pomegranate juice.
Posted: May 7, 2006 5:05 pm

Mint=toothpaste, huh? That's weird... I love fresh mint!

Campari is a bitter Italian apertif... It's also kinda sweet, though, and tastes sort of like grapefruit, maybe. Most people hate it, but they are dumb. We should go out for drinks when I get rich and I'll buy you as many Campari + sodas as you can drink!

Pernod is like Ouzo but less sweet and not as viscous. I thought it sounded weird on the menu, but the refreshing lemony-ness with the anise aftertaste of the Pernod was really good.
Posted: May 7, 2006 5:08 pm

What is Ouzo? I am not an anise fan, but I like lemon. The Campari sounds GREAT! I want some! Get rich now!
Posted: May 7, 2006 5:15 pm

Jeez!

Ouzo is the Greek anise liqueur thats all sweet and kinda nasty. Like Sambuca.

I guess Pernod is more similar to Pastis, another French anise-flavored apertif. I love anise, and mixed with the lemonade, it was... I dunno, but it was really good! It seems like it would be really perfect for sitting on the porch on a hot summer afternoon.
Posted: May 7, 2006 5:17 pm

Anise also reminds me of toothpaste because Tom's makes some with anise. I am not a liquorice fan, so anise is usually a turn off.
Posted: May 7, 2006 5:31 pm | Edited by: Theresa K

Campari is indeed bitter - but dry and with no strange aftertaste. Its the ultimate in "dry" - I don't find any trace of sweetness or grapefruit in it - although one could say it has a tart finish the way yellow grapefruit can. It tastes a tad herbal to me. I think the people who hate it say it tastes like medicine

I think Pernod is like Absinthe without the wormwood (so is Ricard - basically the same stuff)

AND - Campari is a lovely red - and Pernod is kinda yellow
Posted: May 7, 2006 5:32 pm

for me, its gin, vodka, limeade. what goes good with bourbon?
Posted: May 7, 2006 5:44 pm

Joe, I bet you'd dig vermouth (dry) and soda. I had white wine and coke yesterday. Sounds gross, but I think it's refrshing and tasty.
Posted: May 7, 2006 6:02 pm

I am beginning to think I would be one of the dumb ones who thought Campari was like medicine. I am the first person to note medicinal flavors in something.

The white wine in coke actually sounds good to me.
Posted: May 7, 2006 6:09 pm

I think the people who hate it say it tastes like medicine

This is so true it's unfunny. Everyone who drinks Campari either really loves or says, "Gross, tastes like medicine" which is dumb. I too get that herbacious thing with it... and by "grapefruit" I'm trying to aproximate that balance of slightly fruity with bitterness taste sensation.

Another good bitter Italian thing is called Cynar- like Campari but made from artichokes, and deep caramel in color. Very tasty over ice with soda.

I'll have to try vermouth and soda... It never occured to me. Also, in today's NY Times Style Magazine (it's the "lifestyle" edition) there's an article about weird European summer cocktails. In Spain, it's red wine and Coke; in Germany, beer mixed with lemon soda; in France, congac and gingerale.

Junior- bourbon and soda is really good and refreshing. Mint julips are great.
Posted: May 7, 2006 6:11 pm

what goes good with bourbon?

Three ice cubes.
Posted: May 7, 2006 6:22 pm

Pimm's + Club Soda + Lemonade, garnish with slice of cucumber

cannot be beat.
Posted: May 7, 2006 6:22 pm

Bourbon? I like it with Perrier (or any fizzy water).
Posted: May 7, 2006 6:34 pm

I don't know much about cocktails except vodka tonics and mimosas are always refreshing. Had mint julep last night...ewwwww.
Posted: May 7, 2006 8:49 pm

ive been using ezra brooks, on the ice wasnt working. tried with ginger ale, tasted about the same. tonight i will attempt with soda. theres a bar in town with 2 for one drinks whenever the pistons have a playoff game. i should go do some experimenting!
Posted: May 7, 2006 9:06 pm

One of my nicer summer drunkscapades was drinking out of a cooler filled to the brim with cranberry juice, vodka and cut limes. We would literally ice up the cups and scoop away. I sat on the porch for hours beside the cooler and when I stood up to leave...BAM! It isn't a party until Kristin falls on her ass.
Posted: May 8, 2006 2:59 pm

Yeah, mint juleps aren't so great... I love bourbon and figured I'd like it, but I would rather drink my bourbon with just ice or with coke.

I've always wanted to try an Old Fashioned, but I would feel like such a pain in the ass ordering it.
Posted: May 8, 2006 3:54 pm

What's in an Old Fashioned?
Posted: May 8, 2006 3:56 pm

Anyone ever try a tomatillo bloody mary? Tasty. I've had them at Colosso (PDX) but haven't really seen/searched them out elsewhere. I only mention it as I'm hankering for one this morning.
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:17 pm

Ooh. Colosso has these serious drinks (or had them as the server they were named after is no longer employed there) called a Hijinx. I only had one one night and it was one of those fantastic drinks that taste delectable going down and you are WASTED right after. It is fresh lemonade, mottled ginger and some other crap with some kinda alcohol--likely vodka. It was served in a HUGE ice tea glass too.
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:27 pm

What's in an Old Fashioned?

It's cherries, an orange slice and bitters muddled in a rocks glass I believe, topped with ice and then bourbon over it.

Anyone ever try a tomatillo bloody mary?

No, but I want to!
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:27 pm

Was it spicy, with the ginger?
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:31 pm

Yup--but not too spicy. I drank it in the depths of a Portland winter, not our month of summer. But I thought it would be a good one to mention here. I can ask Steve C. what goes in it since he is back at Colosso.
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:32 pm

okay it's 10:30 a.m., I'm laying in bed naked, and I've got vodka, bourbon, rye, pimms, herbsaint, wine, more wine, and some cocktail olives. no other mixers, just water. and some yogurt.

someone give me a little guidance here. what does a martini taste like without vermouth?
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:46 pm

Dry

Just squeeze and run and olive around the rim and your golden.
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:48 pm

what does a martini taste like without vermouth?

That's called a "Desert Dry Martini"- you can still make it "dirty" though with that olive juice.
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:50 pm

Oh, I guess I'm wrong on that, though I've seem to have drank many a glass of Vodka straight before...
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:53 pm

Wait. You're typing on the computer naked? I feel lurgy talking to you.
Posted: May 8, 2006 4:54 pm

Just squeeze and run and olive around the rim and your golden.

This answer in response to Martel's naked cocktailing is just a bit much for this AM!
Posted: May 8, 2006 9:14 pm

Does Sangria count as a cocktail, cause I could drink that and only that all summer long...
Posted: May 8, 2006 9:48 pm

I say yes. I had some Friday at the hair salon and it was fantastic. I had forgotten how great that is on a warm day.
Posted: May 9, 2006 1:21 am

I didn't start drinking martinis at 10:30 this a.m., which I am happy about.

I did drink two budweisers this afternoon at shaggy's dad's bar on the westbank, which was fucking genius. it made me realize that budweiser is the ultimate summer cocktail. especially at "da bar" because they don't really serve anything else.
Posted: May 9, 2006 1:54 pm

i think ive figured it out. went to the fancy booze store and got some old grandad 100 and vernors. nice!
Posted: May 9, 2006 5:56 pm

On a hot humid night, I like Sailor Jerry's Spiced rum, with a creamy ginger ale, a squeeze of lemon, and heavy on the ice. Goes down quick, and it's cold.
Posted: May 9, 2006 6:33 pm

what kind of bourbon is the best? O.G. is the first one ive got thats not jim beam or really cheap/gross
Posted: May 9, 2006 6:55 pm

A good mid-range bouron is called Bulleit. It's about $18-20 (note that Portland/west coast booze prices are considerably higher than those in the south), and for my palate is better than Maker's, which- for comparison's sake- retails in Portland for $24-26.

I would recommend any of the following-

Old Crow (surprisingly tasty- esp on rocks!)
Maker's
Bulleit
Jim Beam with the green label
Booker's- expensive
Baker's- expensive
Knob Creek- expensive
Woodford Reserve- expensive
Wild Turkey Rare Breed- expensive
or anything that costs more than $30
Posted: May 9, 2006 7:08 pm

old crow? good god, man, that shit is horrid!

I swear by EARLY TIMES
Posted: May 9, 2006 7:16 pm

Dude... do a blind taste test of Old Crow and Maker's- both on the rocks. You'll be surprised by the similarities.
Posted: May 9, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm partial to Basil Haydens myself. A touch pricey, but nice.
Posted: May 9, 2006 7:21 pm

Mmm, Dickel No. 12
Posted: May 9, 2006 7:23 pm

i like the pink lemonade/vodka/beer mixture. we call it summer beer, but i've heard it called other shit like pink panty dropper and all kindsa other off the wall names.

i like tom collins' too. nice and light. mmmmm.

also as far as the whiskey is concerned, you should try michael collins. it's pretty smooth. it's 28 dollars for a bottle...but it's good as shit. it works out nicely as a shot. irish whiskey, not bourbon, but good nonetheless.
Posted: May 9, 2006 9:13 pm

My dad has a story that involves several coolers full of the pink lemonade/vodka/beer cocktail, the eastern Oregon desert, the 70s, and lots of nudity.
Posted: May 9, 2006 9:17 pm

eastern Oregon desert
What? There is such a thing?
Posted: May 9, 2006 9:18 pm

My dad has a story that involves several coolers full of the pink lemonade/vodka/beer cocktail, the eastern Oregon desert, the 70s, and lots of nudity.

Tell your dad to log in here!
Posted: May 9, 2006 9:25 pm

eastern Oregon desert

You would be surprised at the geographical variation in this state. It is pretty fucking insane. California is pretty amazing, but Oregon can hold its own.
Posted: May 10, 2006 2:13 am

eastern Oregon desert

Yeah, and it's HIGH DESERT! Get it? High?

So dad, what exactly did happen out there in the desert?
Posted: May 10, 2006 2:27 am | Edited by: Dad

Well, this was when Derek was running the Malheur Field Station, which is out in Malheur County. Anyway, we liked to go out there and visit him on occasion(he got a little lonely).

So, we had just finished a week-long rafting trip down the... uh, I can't really remember. Coulda been the John Day or the Deschutes... anyway- we'd been rafting about a week, and ran outta booze on the second to last day of the trip.

First thing we did when we pulled out (of the river, jackass) was get to the store and get some more booze. We decided the best way to quench the thirst of 16 weary hippies was to whip up a batch of Fuck You Up punch- that being a name for the famous pink lemonade, vodka, and Budwiser cocktail. We bought all the vodka, beer and lemonade we could get our hands (those small-town folk were a touch bemused, to say the least).

So we load up the Maytag (my '67 Toyota Landcruiser pickup) and head out to see Derek at the field station. Now, this is the 70's, mind you, things were a little different back then. Anyway, it gets so fucking out there in the desert, and we weren't in the water any more, so we decided fuck it- off with the clothes.

So now you got 16 naked hippies runnin' around the desert, beards and pubic hair bushy as all get-out. We emptied out our coolers, filled 'em with punch, and drank 'til we couldn't see. All I can remeber after that is someone starting a huge bofire, which, given how dry it is out there, probably wasn't the smartest idea.

I blacked out, and the next morning woke up amongst the sagebrush- still naked, as was everyone else- and threw up for 5 hours straight.
Posted: May 10, 2006 2:57 am

Oh my god. I am laughing my ass off. Does everyone in "our generation" have a "Naked annihilated hippie parents" story or what? My parents naked story involved a waterfall somewhere (likely Eureka Springs) and a bunch of LSD and pharmaceuticals (Dad ran a mental health center and his friend who was there was the onsite psychiatrist with his own onsite pharmacy).

But anyway, this is a drinking thread, sorry.
Posted: May 10, 2006 3:37 am

My summer cocktail:

Light Gold Rum (I usually get "Old Mill" it's about $16 and distilled in St. Croix and imported by a company in the Portland 'burbs.... any good light rum will do (except Bacardi, that shit suuuucks))

Ruby Red Grapefruit Juice

Tangerine Juice (or orange, but tange. is way better)

Fill a highball glass halfway with ice. Rum to cover the ice. RRGFJ almost to the top. Splash of Tangerine.

This is my attempt to re-create the "Rum Punch" I had a few years ago in Belize. The Belize version is made with a rad local rum that you can't get here, and some kinda tropical fruit punch concentrate in a jar.
Posted: May 10, 2006 6:02 am

I'm cheap and lazy
white wine and lemon juice
Posted: May 10, 2006 6:36 am

white wine and lemon juice

B! Did you turn gay or what?
Posted: May 10, 2006 10:15 am

turn gay
opps i meant
white port and lemon juice
I'll have to send you a copy of that song
course anotha hemp ladden fave is
"gin and juice"
Posted: May 10, 2006 1:24 pm

As I sit here at work at the crack of dawn... I take it all back! I want to be a hippy!

And now I go spin for a while...
Posted: May 12, 2006 6:02 am

Licor 43, which is a delicious Spanish liqueor that tastes of vanilla, and soda is awesome....
Posted: May 12, 2006 8:40 am

what does a martini taste like without vermouth?

VODKA
Posted: May 14, 2006 6:46 am

I created the minty frisky... frozen limeade, vodka, mint leaves, ice... put it all in the blender. YUM
Posted: May 14, 2006 3:03 pm

Hornitos + Grapefruit juice = The fastest you've EVER drank a litre of Tequilla.
Posted: May 14, 2006 9:33 pm

Yum, yum, Hornitos!

My favorite tequila. I wish I could go get some right now. Goddamn Oregon no sellin' on Sunday OLCC likker store booze Nazis!!!!
Posted: May 14, 2006 10:14 pm

Hmmm. Hornitos and grapefruit sounds delectable. I must get into that trouble soon.
Posted: May 15, 2006 12:48 am

made sangria last night
i must've drank a gallon of it, too
now have dull headache
nevertheless, it was a fab summer drink
Posted: May 15, 2006 12:57 am

i hear that putting tequila plus jarritos grapefruit soda and lime juice is pretty good. i have had a hard time locating 2 liters of jarritos grapefruit though.
Posted: May 15, 2006 6:41 am

fresca is not unlike jarritos grapefruit...
Posted: May 15, 2006 6:57 am

My summer cocktail:

Sake

Asahi

@ Yoko's.
Posted: May 30, 2006 10:44 pm

how to make 5oclock gin dissapear

more gin than soda
heavy on the lemon wedges

fall over, use roomates computer

END TRANSMISSION
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 1:23 am

anyone ever had tequila and squirt? is squirt supposed to be grapefruit flavor? anyways, once when i was in mexico my cousin's fun-lovin' grampa kept making us tequila and squirts. they were awesome. do they even make squirt anymore?

so i've been mixing it up this past weekend - not a lot of beer, but pina coladas and also kaluha and milk. the kaluha and milks have been especially delicious with a scoop of chocolate (or coffee) ice cream.

i've always wanted to try a pink lady or a grasshopper. i need to wear some fancy costume jewerly and find some old ladies to drink those with somewhere.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 1:41 am

made sangria last night
i must've drank a gallon of it, too
now have dull headache
nevertheless, it was a fab summer drink

it WAS a fab summer drink. spock needs to throw another party.
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 2:14 am

tonight...tequila and Minute Maid Cherry Limeade in the carton.
Not bad!
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 5:01 am

spock needs to throw another party.

i'll be back in TN in aug, sept & oct. party time it will be!
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 8:05 am

i'll be back in TN in aug, sept & oct. party time it will be!
nice. i have a feeling i'll need an escape by then
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 5:10 pm

beer
Posted: Jul 3, 2006 7:26 pm

yeah just remember to keep your arms inside the windows if you happen to drive through there...one of my arms is a mexican now.

vodka+lemonade
Posted: Jul 4, 2006 7:41 pm | Edited by: Wire

Mimosas on the Fourth...how refreshing.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 10:33 pm

Pimm's Cup, the ulitmate summer cocktail, duh.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 11:29 pm

Vodka and grapefruit juice is well-known, but I discovered that gin and grapefruit is good too. Use good non-concentrate stuff like Tropicana.

Once I was desperate and mixed rum with Tropicana OJ. I don't recommend it...

A nice gin & tonic is a summer classic. With Tanqueray. Makes me want a pith helmet and a slowly rotating ceiling fan.
Posted: Jul 13, 2006 11:33 pm

gotta plug the margaritas with sangira added. i really need to go have more of these, preferably right this minute.
Posted: Jul 14, 2006 6:27 pm

A variation on Campari and soda: Cinzano Orencia, in tall glass of crushed ice, with soda water. It doesn't seem to be stocked in Ontario anymore, but I do recall quite enjoying that a few summers ago.
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 11:57 pm

I don't know if anyone listed this one or not.
But sweet, fresh brewed ice tea with Vodka is pretty fun to get drunk with.
It was the house drink at the Arthur's two summers ago. We called them Ice Picks.

Also, one night James and I made Chicken Picatta Martinis. We were convinced it was gonna be the next big thing, until the chicken fat from the picatta sauce started to congeal in the Martini glass. Then it became one of most disgusting things I ever drank. But I still think the concept was fucking genius!
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:13 am

I've been experimenting with vodka, Everclear, Sprite, and "Ruby Red Grapefruit Cocktail" lately.
4 vodka, 1 Everclear, 2 Sprite and 4-8 RRGF, stirred, over ice is a fantastic way to get utterly and painlessly hammered.
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:14 am

Margaritas with Sauza Hornitos are about to be enjoyed within moments. It is 103 degrees out here and we have NO AIR CONDITIONING!!!! My co-worker felt sorry for me and brought me a new window fan with a digital thermostat. We'll see how that goes.
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:17 am

Margaritas with Sauza Hornitos are about to be enjoyed within moments.

Liquid A/C
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 12:20 am

This is what I am truly hoping. The blender is set for a bag of ice which is on the way.
Posted: Jul 23, 2006 11:59 pm

ive with my old man all day, many stoli-tonics have been had. i wish i could buy pricey booze instead of kezzler
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 2:24 am

I drank a whole pitcher of the Hornitos margaritas myself last night. It is so fucking hot. I have no mixers left.
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 3:14 am

I'm sorry, fiery. It reads "Horny Toes" to me....
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 7:46 am

sangria by the gallon
Posted: Jul 25, 2006 12:58 am

you're prolly gonna laugh but the watermelon smirnoffs are a pretty tasty motherfucker

and i mean heavy on the motherfucker.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 9:39 pm

Well my first post might as well be about alcohol. My latest summer cocktail is Captain Morgan Parrot Bay and Pineapple Juice. It's refreshing, but you have to use Parrot Bay. Malibu or Bacardi CoCo make it taste not as good.
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 9:55 pm

welcome aboard, ya' lush!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 10:13 pm

Thanks Steph....how was that lushbucket last night? Thanks for helping me end my drinking hiatus!
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 10:15 pm

stina nordenstam?
Posted: Aug 3, 2006 10:36 pm

nope, sorry.
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 10:50 am

man, parrot bay and mauna loa was enjoyed by me the very first night of the cincinnati riots. bacardi coco is not good at all. ugh.

i'm currently in love with stoli blueberry with cranberry juice and a touch of red bull. shit is yum.
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 3:22 pm

I agree elle, bacardi coco is nasty. Malibu is good in some mixed shots and malibu/coke is a weak drink that's good to start the night off or wind it down.
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 4:14 pm

Posted: Aug 4, 2006 6:58 pm

My favorite (year-round, but 'specially in the summer) is Campari + soda with limes.

People who like Campari, you will love Aperol!
It outsells Campari 5 to 1 at my little Likker store....

also a great summer cocktail, and cheap, is....
white port
soda water
lemons or a splash of lemonade
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 8:19 pm

Thanks for helping me end my drinking hiatus!

no problem, sorry to lay on the peer pressure, but stina=lush, ya know what i'm screamin', dawg?

anyone try that cuervo black yet? what's the deal with that? i mean, what's special about it (if anything)?
Posted: Aug 4, 2006 8:33 pm

i hear ya playa....

cuervo black is pretty good with cola. I think it's "black" because of the aging process. It really doesn't have the same agave taste as tequila normally does. I've never had it straight up or in a 'rita.
Posted: Aug 23, 2006 10:52 pm

For some reason Tequila and Grapefruit juice sounds sorta tough but also good...Dammit. And I wasn't gonna drink today.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®