Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: May 3, 2006 1:08 am

I highly reccommend you guys start eating a lot of this--easy to make, cheap and delicious. Plus it saves for awhile if you freeze it. And it is muy healthy to boot!
Posted: May 3, 2006 1:37 am

Pesto be god.
Posted: May 3, 2006 1:37 am

I mean good.
Posted: May 3, 2006 2:11 am

One of my best friends claims to hate pine nuts, which doesn't really make sense to me.
Posted: May 3, 2006 2:14 am | Edited by: bazooka joe

Pine nuts are amazing. I got turned on to them as a kid when my Gypsy grandmother made kibbi. I never got into pesto so much, but I like it.
Posted: May 3, 2006 2:26 am

Pine nuts are the capper! I put a ton of them in the pesto and then tons go on top for when I am ready to eat.

Wish me luck with this spelt spaghetti I am about to try. It will be so drenched in parmesan, olive oil, basil, garlic and pine nuts--it could be terrible and I'd never know.
Posted: May 3, 2006 2:46 am

Spelt? Bummer.
Posted: May 3, 2006 3:40 am

I ended up using the last of my soba noodles instead. I love a fucking buckwheat noodle. I put too much salt in the pesto this time...shit. That kosher stuff too. Oh well, I still ate almost a whole bowl.
Posted: May 3, 2006 3:59 am

soba noodles
I have no idea why I'm laughing at this.
Posted: May 3, 2006 4:06 am

Cos you...are...a...a...a....soba...noodle.

There. I did it. That was my first "You are a ____" on the Goner Board. The last shreds of integrity are gone.
Posted: May 3, 2006 4:07 am

I haven't done hee haw yet.
Posted: May 3, 2006 5:51 am

this was my trick last summer. I haven't planted any basil this year on account of the soil being like, toxic and shit. but last year I would go to the store and buy pine nuts in the bulk foods section. they are like $13 a pound or some bullshit price that is more than filet mignon. fuck it. go to the self checkout aisle and punch in the code for sunflower seeds. I love that fucking self checkout aisle.

I am going to make this cilantro pesto soon to rid my system of all the lead, arsenic, and mercury that's been piling up.
Posted: May 3, 2006 6:11 am

fuck it. go to the self checkout aisle and punch in the code for sunflower seeds. I love that fucking self checkout aisle.

i do this ALL THE TIME for coffee at whole foods - where you write your own code on the bag for what kind of beans you've scooped.... i always get extra dark french roast ($12.99/pound) but write that its their breakfast blend ($8.99)

cilantro pesto sounds good.

i like experimenting w/ the pesto recipe...
i've done arugula pesto, which it pretty good. i use walnut and walnut oil instead of pine nuts and olive oil with arugula, and i use various cheeses instead of just parm
Posted: May 3, 2006 6:21 am

I saw this self check out isle in Austin at a Wal Mart for the first time in my life. First of all, these "wal marts" are the size of freakin Madison Square Garden. It took me 40 min. just to find bottled water. I thought self check out machines were ATM's or somethin...strange concept.

Use the blender for the pesto. It's the best way.
Posted: May 3, 2006 6:26 am

Use the blender for the pesto. It's the best way.

i like the wider bowl of the food processor myself
Posted: May 3, 2006 7:09 am

I haven't planted any basil this year on account of the soil being like, toxic and shit.

DUDE!!!
I made some badass planter boxes. Let me sell you one, or I'll send you the specs.
Posted: May 3, 2006 7:12 am

i always get extra dark french roast ($12.99/pound) but write that its their breakfast blend ($8.99)

Girl, I can give you what you want for seven.

Memphis Venture Capitalists, Help a brother (and a sister) out.
Posted: May 3, 2006 7:15 am

Girl, I can give you what you want for seven.

the price of good coffee is criminal, isn't it? i prefer Trader Joe's French Roast - and its only $5.99!!! but TJ's requires a trip in the car, and in Santa Monica, where I sometimes live.... I live BEHIND a Whole Foods store. I'm in there 3 times a day. I know everyone there...its a total joke. Its my corner store... Whole Paycheck...
Posted: May 3, 2006 1:28 pm

I had a portabella sandwich with pesto ranch last weekend. So wrong...yet...so right.
Posted: May 3, 2006 7:06 pm

Pesto made with properly portioned pine nuts, garlic, basil, and extra vierge is pure heaven. Use a small, professional grade food processor on puree for best results.
Posted: May 3, 2006 7:33 pm

I saw this self check out isle in Austin at a Wal Mart for the first time in my life.

I have to say it is comments from New Yorkers like this that I just adore! The few things that middle America can trump you on: "You don't have self-checkout aisles?!?!?! Ha!"
Posted: May 3, 2006 7:34 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Mini food processor. Kicks ass for the wife whose husband doesn't like pesto.

T.K.--what other kinds of cheese are you using?
Posted: May 4, 2006 11:09 pm

Freeze your pesto in an ice cube tray. It ends up being perfect for a single serving of pasta later on.
Posted: May 4, 2006 11:38 pm

Uh....we don't have Wal Marts either. Thank god.
Posted: May 5, 2006 12:07 am

Uh....we don't have Wal Marts either

It won't stay that way for long. There's a K-Mart in midtown Manhattan now, for chrissake. I about shat when I saw that. Wal-Mart and self-checkout in NYC (at least in the outer boroughs) can only be a few months away.
Posted: May 5, 2006 12:25 am

In addition to PARM or PARM/REGGIANO, my other pesto cheese choices came as a result of a wine & cheese road trip in Northern California recently.... i got a long list and the winners are:
pecornio, romano, manchego (who says it has to be italian cheese anyway?), a raw cow's milk cheese called Bag˛ss di Bagolino, another cow's milk cheese called Baita Friuli, gruyere, asiago,
a Tuscan cheese identical to Pecorino but outside the area so it cannot legally be called pecorino - Caciotta al Timo - its covered w/ thyme leaves and tastes thyme-y and adds that element to the pesto... lots of artisanal dry gratable cheeses from Piedmont. then there's this total orgasmic cheese: Grana Padano - Stravecchio Oro del Tempo

EXPERIMENT with hard, dry, gratable cheeses....
Posted: May 5, 2006 12:47 am

There was, in fact, an article about Walmart proposing a Brooklyn store. They are changing their layout to go into NYC and other large cities. They'll stop at nothing.

I was at the cheese shop today and was checking out the dry, hard, grateable cheeses thinking you'd never answer, TK!
Posted: May 5, 2006 12:57 am

I think (but am not 100%) that "pecorino" just means "sheep."

Also- my dad came back from Italy once with a round of something pecorino-like, but the rind was coated in black pepper! Unreal.
Posted: May 5, 2006 2:11 am

i'm working - sometimes runnin around like a headless chicken.... i always answer about food!
Posted: May 5, 2006 2:17 am

oh - joe "pecora" is sheep in italiano, you are mostly correct... so if you're a real pedant, you'd refer to a cheese as "pecorino tuscano" for instance, for the sheep cheese region of tuscany that's allowed to call its cheeses that.... its like that "champagne" thing - ONLY sparkling wine from the rheims area (ie: champagne) can be called "champagne" and there is a food convention that matches the wine convention over there in the EU.
Posted: May 8, 2006 3:24 pm

pecorino is a general adjective for anything made out of sheep... the real shit is "pecorino sardo" (sardinia is the best region for sheeps, goats, etc) or "pecorino romano", then you have an excellent production in tuscany and sicily as well.

the original pesto recipe is from genoa (north eastern coast), but there's also a red "sicilian pesto" made of tomatos, walnuts, olive oil, garlic, pecolino and less basil. a whole different taste, so don't expect the green one, ok?

ciao!
Posted: May 8, 2006 3:37 pm

its like that "champagne" thing - ONLY sparkling wine from the rheims area (ie: champagne) can be called "champagne"

I learned that in Wayne's World.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®