Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 7:45 am

i need to eat more vegatables...broccoli is good or ya right.?? but it tastes like shit raw..even with some dip. WHats the best way to prepare broccoli..? or any vegatable.. for that matter.. frying.? steaming? i need some tips n shit..!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 7:54 am

salt and butter will make everything taste good

i make broccoli in the microwave - not a lot of water - cook for 2-3 minutes, check for done-ness - should be easily pierced w/ fork or knife.... keep nuking at 1- minute intervals til done

slather with butter and salt.

or else - boil it - but not til limp - still emerald green. make cheddar cheese sauce and pour all over it.

other vegetables respond to other methods of cooking - grilling is excellent - brush w/ olive oil, grill. enjoy
sauteeing - same way --- garlic, if you like it, makes an excellent foil for the blandness of many vegetables
steaming is best for health consciousness

frying? eh - kind of counteracts the whole purpose of vegetables in the first place... but japanese style - tempura, with its lighter batter - is excellent.

but i say: butter and salt....
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 3:32 pm

(fresh) Asparagus: wash and dry. Place spears on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt. Place under broiler for about 10 minutes or until it gets slightly charred. Goes great with steak or fish.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:09 pm

broccoli
This madness must be stopped. The 'brocc' is a scourge and a pox on the rest of the vegitable kingdom. There is no "good" way to prepare it, and no amount of cheese sauce can hide it's shame. I am having real trouble knowing my child eats this stuff. If it continues, he may become a terrorist.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:17 pm

I have to agree. I steamed some broccoli for the one week I was on that dumb diet and it was a total struggle to eat a 2/3 cup of it. I made it as soft as possible and did the slather in butter thing too, but it was still so bleh. I can't believe when I see people eat it raw. Rabbits.

I'd stick to spinach, kale, chard, collards and even asparagus (though it is expensive). But it you aren't used to those either, you may have difficulty choking them down.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:17 pm

Or even better--eat salads!!!!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:19 pm

Or carrots. What's wrong with carrots?
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:22 pm

Carrots rule and defeat communisim on all levels.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:24 pm

Nasty Southern Broccoli Casserole

Take a head and a half of broccoli, and cut the tops into small florets. Put these in a glass pie pan and put them in the microwave for five minutes. DO NOT add any water. Mix the microwaved broccoli with one can of cream of chicken soup, half a cup (or so) of sour cream, a couple of handfuls of shredded cheese (cheddar), and a couple of handfuls of those french fried onions in a can. NOTE: Kroger has the best FFOIAC, and that's all I'll use for this. Put it in a small oven safe casserole dish, and bake @375 or 400 until it's all bubbly. You can put more shredded cheese on the top in the last five minutes of baking.

This looks nasty, and is terrible for you, but you'll not be able to stop eating it.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:24 pm

Carrots are great, but green vegetables are much better for you. Apparently, carrots are way high in sugar. The idea is to have carrots with a green vegetable.

Like peas and carrots (I love this combo).

Another good one--lima beans.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:26 pm

There was this stuff called "Broccoli Cheese" that one of my old ghetto clients made that ruled too--it was likely cheese soup with frozen broccoli cooked together in a big vat (hey, she had 9 kids).
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:32 pm

I think that "Broccoli Cheese" is a staple of Memphis City Schools cafeterias.
I love trash food.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 4:48 pm

I must admit it went very well with the neckbones (also a first for me that night!)
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:21 pm

Broccoli rules, ok?
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 5:42 pm

No.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:14 pm

think that "Broccoli Cheese" is a staple of Memphis City Schools cafeterias

i believe they refer to the cauliflower, broccoli, cheese concoction as "California vegetables"
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:28 pm

Cauliflower? Now that's some fuuuuucked up shit right there.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:35 pm

Cauliflower? Now that's some fuuuuucked up shit right there

i like it ok raw, but when my parents' were on the adkins kick, they pureed the shit and ate it like it was mashed potaters. that's just gross
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:37 pm

i have no aversion to broccoli or cauliflower
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:40 pm

Cauliflower? Now that's some fuuuuucked up shit right there.
No, cauliflower is fine. Tastes like warm puppies and fuzzy kittens. Broccoli, however, Tastes like little Timmy after he dropped the ball in the big game. No one likes Timmy.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 7:13 pm

Baked beets are great. Wash them and put them in the oven at 400 and cook until you can pierce them with a fork easily. Put a little butter and salt and pepper on 'em. The same method goes for sweet potatoes (keep the skin on.) The best part about eating beets is it turns your pee and poo dark red and it makes the toilet water look like raspberry Kool-Aid. You can pretend that you have internal bleeding, but you're just eating right!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 7:15 pm

what about brocciflower, the green cauliflower? or that strange purple one? I like my veggies psychedelic
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 7:18 pm

No one likes Timmy.

I love Timmy.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 8:11 pm

Hows about them broccoli farts?
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 8:29 pm

I never fart after eating Timmy.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 8:35 pm

Timmy doesn't come boneless. Just spineless.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 10:40 pm

The 'brocc' is a scourge and a pox on the rest of the vegitable kingdom.
what are you man, George Bush the First?
broccoli is superb!
you like cauliflower but not broccoli? i don't get it. you are weird jack stands. WEIRD! i'm gonna bring you dinner someday, and its gonna be ALL BROCCOLI!!

okra is the only vegetable i don't like.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 10:48 pm

you are weird jack stands.
HE DOESN'T LIKE CHICKEN LIVERS!! I offered him a livers and broccoli dinner to come cart my trash to the street and he said NO!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 10:51 pm

O.K. This is just ridiculous. Not only do you hate freedom, but you must be a Jane Fonda sympathizer. You have been trapped in the darkroom with your developing chemicals for far too long, and the fumes have surrounded your brain and tastebuds. Theresa, I believe you are a good person at heart, but I'm not letting you near my American flag.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 10:54 pm

Okra sucks dude. I hate eggplant too. I like baba ghanoush, but I have NEVER tasted eggplant that tasted good in anything else.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 10:59 pm

[i]okra is the only vegetable i don't like.[/i

thats crazy talk. Okra and tomatoes with onions and bacon. and a little hot sauce. Fried okra rules too. I'll even eat plain ol' stewed okra. Funny thing though, I don't like it in gumbo. I like the more rustic, cajun style (like they serve in Layfayette) gumbo over the creole, NOLA style.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 11:00 pm

Chicken livers are destroying this Great Nation. And "no" on okra? You are probably sad that we kicked England out.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 11:01 pm

Carney, I have no idea where you live, but I will be over for dinner at 8:00.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 11:04 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

I have NEVER tasted eggplant that tasted good in anything else.

Not even in eggplant parmagiana? C'mon, it's coated with bread crumbs, and fried. And then it's covered with marinara and cheese. A dirty sock would taste good if you prepared it like that.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 11:12 pm

Yep--even eggplant parmagiana. As soon as I get through all that goodness and taste that rank eggplant taste, that is it. Same with fried okra!!!!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 11:28 pm

Oh fiery...that'll knock you down about four notches in the "how southern are you?" thing. No fried okra?? Blasphemy!
I cannot BELIEVE I'm hearing this. When you got chicken livers and broccoli casserole less than ten minutes away? Well!
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 11:34 pm

Alisa, I'm sorry. But a meal that tastes like Fidel Castro, well, I just cannot abide.
Posted: Apr 12, 2006 11:48 pm

I know--I was the only one who wouldn't eat those little nuggets of nasty.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 2:33 am

im tryin the nuke idea right now...so far so ggod. Tx.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 3:01 am

a meal that tastes like Fidel Castro, well, I just cannot abide.

You capitalist!!
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 4:28 am

South Austin Tejas. But my dear sweet departed Mama was born in Memphis. Two things I take great pride in are my cooking and guitar playing.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 7:14 pm

what about okinawan sweet potatos? (purple potatos )yuuuuu-uuuuuum. Got hooked on them in Hawaii. they are about the only vege i can eat boiled/baked w/ no seasoning whatsoever.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 8:29 pm

all vegetables save beets are yummy. i can do without beets.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 8:31 pm

thems is fightin words

Fried okra rules
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 10:52 pm

beets.
phooey..! taste like durt.
Posted: Apr 13, 2006 10:58 pm

beets.
worse than dirt.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 1:09 am

worse than dirt.
lima beans, lady peas, black-eyed peas
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 1:17 am

Have you even TRIED baked beets? They're great. Way better than boiled.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 1:18 am

This madness must be stopped. The 'brocc' is a scourge and a pox on the rest of the vegitable kingdom. There is no "good" way to prepare it, and no amount of cheese sauce can hide it's shame.

I have to agree. It is a vile weed & should be shunned & destroyed! It instantly befouls any dish it touches. I'm no fan of cauliflower either but it is slightly less offensive than filthy brocc. I find okra to be slimey. But I do eat it when I find it in gumbo- long as it's good gumbo.

Eggplant ain't too bad. I have yet to find my own successful recipe for making it- but the Crispy Eggplant at Fu Jin on Hawthorne & SE 35th is to die for.

Any fans of zucchini here? I've been trying out some killer recipes...
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 1:30 am

Any fans of zucchini here?

Oh god yes!

Steamed, baked, fried, stewed, fresh, you name it! And trying to decide between yellow squash vs. green [zuchs]: impossible!!

Love 'em!
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 1:31 am

I'll have 100 Burger King frenchfries please.No more,no less.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 1:55 am

How about fans of the brussell sprout? Try this. Cut off the rough part of the bottom of the stem and with the edge of your knife, score in an x on the flat service of the stem about 1/8 of an inch. Blanch in boiling water about 3 minutes, remove and drain them. Put them on a cookie sheet (any other oven-ready pan) and sprinkle them with a little salt and cayenne pepper. Bake them at 350 for about 10 minutes. Tip: If you throw a little chopped garlic in while they are blanching, it helps take out some of the cabbagey taste. But then again, I know a completely simple and delicious way to cook cabbage, too.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 1:59 am

worse than dirt.
lima beans, lady peas, black-eyed peas

Oh, alisa. no, no, no.

Any fans of zucchini here?
Yes. Yes, there are.
Posted: Apr 14, 2006 5:06 am

Sacrilege Alisa! You deducting Southern points from me for hating okra and you hate black eyed peas and lima aka butter beans?!?!?!?!?!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®