Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Jesus fucking christ!
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:27 pm

Does anyone know what Popeyes this was? The one on Basin or the one on Royal? If it was the latter that means we're back down to two functioning Popeyes in the city. Fuck that!!!!!!!!!

Fire guts building, forces hotel evacuations
3/28/2006, 8:12 a.m. CT
The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) A five-alarm fire gutted a fast-food restaurant in the downtown section early Tuesday and a nearby hotel was evacuated for a time as a safety precaution, authorities said.

Ten police officers were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Authorities said the fire, which was reported about 3 a.m., near Canal Street was first believed to have been in a hotel, but firefighters instead discovered a building housing a Popeyes restaurant ablaze.

No firefighters were injured, said fire department Superintendent Charles Parent.

The fire did not pose a threat to the nearby French Quarter, authorities said.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:30 pm

That's all we have, Martel.

I just hope that the place that makes Cajun Sparkle doesn't get burned down. We are low.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:35 pm

Confirmed, Popeyes at Chartres (not Royal) and Canal is toast. Burnt toast.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GOD WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY!???????

Two might be all fine and good for Portland, but it takes 30 minutes of standing in line to get Popeye's here, and that was with three franchises open. This is bulllllllllshit!!!!!!!
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:43 pm

Two might be all fine and good for Portland, but it takes 30 minutes of standing in line to get Popeye's here,

You got that straight--I can only imagine your pain. I only go to Popeyes at off times (before dark usually). After dark and after church...it is pure madness.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:44 pm

we've got plenty here. i've noticed that shit tons of KFC's around chicago are closing. at least the ghetto ones. what's the story?
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:47 pm

KFC is just so damn subpar...they can't hang with Popeyes.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:52 pm

i know, but it's weird to see a fried chicken chain fail in the ghetto, no matter how sub-par. i think tey might be divesting a bit.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 9:32 pm | Edited by: Whiskey Bent

Although there is NEVER-ever more than two people waiting at the one three blocks fr my house, you'd think there were ten ahead of me with the consistently SLOW-SLOW service.....but then I get my taters and buttery biscuit [and spicy chicken that ACTUALLY has some zing to it] and I forget about it everytime.

Sorry, Chris....
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 10:38 pm

Bad news for sure because post-Katrina the service at that Popeye's was excellent. The service on Magazine is OK, but it's cramped so one has to stand too close to the unwashed masses while waiting to order and constantly shift around as people come in and out.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 10:49 pm

Whatever happened to Church's Chicken? I never ate there but that once seemed to be the pre-Popeye's ghetto national chain of choice in Memphis.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 11:28 pm

Oh so sorry, Womb Raider. That's terrible. The one on St. Charles is up and running, right? I had a very weird night there once.
KFC is too freaking expensive.
I have a Church's right around the corner from me. It's my favorite. 10 piece dark for $5.99 usually. AND, they have really good fried okra! Also, those yummy jalepena poppers.
Seriously, I have a KFC, Church's, and Jack Pirtle's all within half a mile of me.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 11:32 pm

10 pc dark for $5.99?!??!?!?!?

I had KFC recently b/c Ryan went to Taco Bell next door and I didn't want to make him go out of the way from there to Popeyes (which is 3 blocks from our house). Oh boy will I never make that mistake again! The chicken was horrible and the sides? Inedible. Plus they serve the whole thing on this monstrosity of molded plastic. GROSS.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 11:45 pm

Yup. That might be the "special" price, but I think regular price is only $7.99. When you order the family meal deal you can always get okra as one of the sides. Also, I love going there because all the women behind the counter call me things like "sugar" and "baby" and "baby girl".
I should have a fried chicken taste test sometime. All three kinds...that'd be fun.
We went to a KFC buffet on 1-40 coming back from the mountains last year. The boys were way freaked out about it. It was NAS-TY!
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 12:06 am

oh martel, i feel your pain. i loved NOLA popeyes
sorry
RIP popeyes
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®