Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 9:49 pm

fuckin chipotle, baja fresh, burrito beach, they are everywhere, especially downtown, they have lots of mexican working in them and cant make a proper taco. wtf? and yet, i still eat at them, and feel ill everytime
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 9:52 pm

the major problem with all those places is the tortillas suck ass. I'd much rather eat at taco bell.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 9:59 pm

I can't stand that kind of shit. If the mexican place isn't full of mexican patrons, then you know it sucks. You can judge a mexican restuarant by the percentage of English vs. Spanish spoken. If the staff looks at you confused when you order in English, you're in the right place.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 10:00 pm

Oh, and anyplace that puts rice in a burrito should be torched.
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 10:04 pm

If the mexican place isn't full of mexican patrons, then you know it sucks

i don't know about that. i've been to plenty of mexican(or otherwise) resturants where there were browns chowing down and it turns out the food sucks.

esp brown rice....thanks california, now fall into the pacific
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 10:56 pm

word.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 12:11 am

Dude.... burritos are gross anyway. They're too compact a food form. Too much being ingested in one bite. I'm allergic to them.

The only place to get good Mexican food (besides Mexico) is San Diego. You can't even get decent Mexican in LA!

I used to like Molly's for Mexican in Memphis, but they're beans really did kind of taste like dog food -- good dog food, but dog food nonetheless.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 3:18 pm

Good Mexican in Memphis = Taqueria Guadalupana (obviously)
Primo Mexican in Memphis = Los Tortugas Deli Mexicana on G'town Parkway (seriously)
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 5:40 pm

the mexican grocery store in town recently started doing restaurant stuff in back. steak burritos, 3 since friday!
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 5:46 pm

When I was in Cozumel, Mexico there was only one restaurant that even offered a burrito - when it arrived it had all sorta of weird shit in it, including green beans! Makes me think Mexico-Mexicans don't eat them.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 5:59 pm

strangely the mexican food at the complex is pretty damn good. simple, not tons of choices, but damn good. fuckin great salsa too!! and nobody's every there. great mexican breakfast as well. and reasonably priced. weird location may kill it soon, but i'm eating there plenty for now.

p.s. molly's is unbelievably bad and because of this your san diego centric philosophy is debunked even without discussing the ridiculousness of the statement.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 7:37 pm

If the staff looks at you confused when you order in English, you're in the right place.

Yup. Though this is not *always* the case. Par example, Autentica in Portland. These people can speak a bit of English and hired a flip lil Portland alt-girl to wait tables and their food is INSANELY GOOD. It is more a real restaurant than a tacqueria and that is fine by me. These people come from Guerrero state and serve a weekend Mexican brunch with all of these insane salsas and grilled fish etc. It is the best non-tacqueria Mexican I have had outside of Mexico.

All PDX people get over there this weekend, Killingsworth across from Cup & Saucer, pronto...it is so damn good. I am sure their dinners and lunches are just as good.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:01 pm

my favorite burrito is la passidita: tortilla, meat, cilantro, raw onion, with hot sauce. that's it. fucking awesome.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:09 pm

Arman--when I was there in the early 90's there was a fave Central American place on I think Milwaukee, West of the whole Wicker Park nexus that everyone was totally into. I was there every week. Does this ring a bell? It was like a taqueria but wasn't Mexican...def. Central American...
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:18 pm

irazu. everyone loves that place but me.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:32 pm

AH HA! It is still there? Yeah, admittedly it wasn't as good as all that, but at the time I was unaware of anything approaching amazing Mexican food that close. Across from Cargo's old office was a place with AMAZING salsa. I would just eat chips and salsa for lunch for days on end.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:43 pm

i think it's because the first time i went there i was pretty broke and not feeling so hot so i got this tuna and rice thing. definitely as bland as it sounds.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:45 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

There was quite a bit of blandness. That palce reminds me of my bitchy cuntface roommate when I lived there. UGH. Let's try to think of some other place.

You know who had awesome fried calamari in Chicago? That shitty place behind Red Dog with the huge sculpture of a blue daquiri. It was perfect.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:47 pm

cafe pacifica?
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:49 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

It was like a huge brick building with foxy, clean, blonde servers...kinda like a Bucktown-y place that was in Wicker Park, when WP was still sketchy (which is the only way I know it as--I haven't been to CHI since I left 12 years ago). I think the building may have been attached to the Red Dog bldg.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:51 pm

i think that is cafe *choke* absinthe
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 5:04 am

It was definitely called something else 12 years ago, but probably equally awful.

Great calamari though.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 7:33 pm

The burrito joint that just opened down the street uses shawarma chicken (the kind that roasts on a spit, like gyro meat). That's Vancouver for you.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 8:00 pm

they're beans really did kind of taste like dog food

yeah...i cannot stand going to molly's unless i am throwing back some margaritas...they have really excellent margaritas, but everything else is FEH.

now...i've not been to that los torgos place out on g'town pkwy, but i have been to casa mexicana out there by wolfchase, and it's surprisingly good too MOST OF THE TIME. occasionally, it'll be a little off, but not bad. their shrimp chimichangas are rather nice tasting.
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 8:19 am

any roach wagon is cool,
if i can get a blowjob
in an out of the way corner
of the lot!
Posted: Apr 1, 2006 1:13 am

after livin' in SouthWest Detroit AKA Mexican Town/Village...
you come to find that real authentic mexican food is really shity.
DEL TACO BITCHES!!

the best burritos i've ever had was at this little dive bar in Detroit and they were so fuckin' amazing and cheap too... then one day the health inspector shut them down because they were using CAPO dog food as the guts of the burriots. even after knowing that fact i said "SO?!" and would have paid double for one of them fuckers.
Posted: Apr 1, 2006 5:02 am

i used to open a can of dog food pate
and spread it between 2 slices of white bread
add a pickle and a 6 pack
good eatin,
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®