Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / where do you always take people to eat in your town
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 1:35 am

The Original Hot Dog Shop - Pittsburgh PA

whenever bands or friends from out of town stay with us we take them to "the O." we have a friend from florida up for the week right now and we just got back from taking him there.

its a greasy shit hole in the college neighborhood of pittsburgh. large pizzas are 6 bucks, covered in grease. a medium french fry is 3 bucks and is bigger than your head. they are fried twice and super crispy and greasy. a medium feeds like 3-4 people. they have hot dogs there with everything you could ever want on a hot dog. plus 40's of camo and laser.

a close second would be primanti brother's. sandwiches with french fries and cole slaw on them.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 1:47 am

close second would be primanti brother's. sandwiches with french fries and cole slaw on them.
I've always wanted to go there. In Austin, I take everybody to a taqueria that's 2 minutes from my house.

Here's a short list of places I always hit on tour/vacation:

Houston: Princes Hamburgers
San Antonio: Pig stand
Chicago: The hot dog place where the black girls make fun of everybody
Philly: Jim's Steaks
NYC: St Marks Pizza RIP
St Louis: any restuarant on "the Hill"
Tuscaloosa: Archibalds bbq or Dreamland
Louisville: Wangs and Thangs
Charlettesville VA: The fried chicken place by Creepy Scott's old place
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 4:58 pm

Primanti's does rule. But I've never been to The O.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Memphis - Jasmine
LA - Astroburger (on Melrose) and if they're good friends, I drag their asses out to Artesia for the best fucking Indian food in California at Udupi Palace
Minneapolis - Pizza Luce
Chicago - Soul Vegetarian
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 6:51 pm

San Francisco:
Torta Voos Boni (they had to change it from Bugs Bunny)- Amazingly deliciousMexico City style tortas (read: huge) with crazy meat combinations. Very, very, few white people.
Cordon Bleu- A vietnamese lunch counter that only has 5-spice chicken, rice with meat sauce, imperial rolls, and something they call "shish kebab", which is neither on a skewer nor in a chunk. It kind of looks like a Steak-um. Everything is delicious. If you get the combo with all of those items (about $8), you'll have enough food for 3 meals.

Oakland:
Chef Edwards- Nobody in Memphis will believe it, but this is the best damn BBQ in the US. Yes, I've been to (and love) Payne's.
Pho Ahn Dao- Best Pho in Oakland, where there's at least 50 places to get it. The extra large bowl is easily big enough to bathe a good-sized baby. Get #15.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 8:09 pm

IN NYC -
Pizza at the coal oven places like: John's, Arturo's or Lombardi's - all good, all downtown
the Taco Trucks at 96/Broadway and 104/?Broadway
Bar BQ - my former roommate's restaurant in Park Slope
Chip Shop - also in Park Slope
and if there's money involved: Nobu and Babbo

IN LA -
the original ghetto Tommy's Burgers way east on Beverly Blvd
Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles
Hamburger Hamlet on Hollywood Blvd. - reliable burger and GREAT people watching otherwise Astroburger gets my vote too
Oki Dog for the nostalgia
Canters for the nostalgia and occasional Rodney Bingenheimer sighting (for visitors, this is a delight)
Mulberry St. pizza because its really damn good even though its in Beverly Hills
Palms Thai on Hollywood Blvd., cheap cheerful and an Elvis impersonator
the Bobs Big Boy in Toluca Lake - vintage car enthusiasts and REAL car hop scene
El Coyote - average food but great atmosphere and the Sharon Tate legacy
and if there's money involved, Matsuhisa

in San Francisco
please tell me Mama's is still there

in Chicago
I take folks to my uncle's diner Johnny's Snack Shop because for me (and my guests), its FREE

in Detroit
Lafayette Coney Island
and your pesky vegetarian friends can be fed at the Majestic Cafe and you can eat dead cows at the same time
Slows bbq in Corktown - because I would like Timmy Vulgar to continue to be employed plus its good BBQ
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 8:26 pm

OH MY HELL. i loved that place. one of my friends and i checked out that place out of morbid curiousity and love for the name of it. it was terrific.

in cincinnati: thai express. best fucking thai food i've ever put in my mouth. no lie. beats the ever living shit out of anything i've had at any other thai restaurant in memphis.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 8:37 pm

the wings are really good. We used to play next door at the Rudyard Kipling or whatever that place is called.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 8:42 pm

OH MY HELL

are you from utah? Idaho? i've never heard that phrase uttered by anyone other than a mormon. (who wants to sound cool but doesn't really want to cuss.)
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 8:56 pm

OKC: the little building shaped like a milk bottle serving Vietnamese Bale sandwiches. roast pork, chicken, pate. and they are like 2 bucks a piece.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 9:07 pm

In Vancouver we usually take touring bands to Bon's, because they're usually looking for something cheap. For $2.95 (including tax) you get a huge plate of eggs, pan fries and your choice of a standard breakfast meat with a side of toast. it's not great food, but it does the job. Coffee is only $1 and a security guard in a cowboy shirt who doesn't actually work there will come by and fill it every 5 minutes, while making some kind of cheesy joke ("you've got a smile so wide, you could eat a banana sideways!").

Other than that, I've taken people to the Tomahawk Grille in North Vancouver because Nardwuar's made it famous, and rightfully so. It's great.
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 10:18 pm

Super Chicago Subs and Grill in kzoo!
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 10:19 pm

in San Francisco
please tell me Mama's is still there

Theresa, there are a bunch of restaurants with Mama's in the name in SF. What kind of food is "your" Mama's and where is it?
Posted: Mar 22, 2006 10:58 pm

the place everyone goes to for brunch on the weekends
near the st's peter and paul churches (which is REALLY at 666 filbert st., even though they say it is 664)
washington square? somewhere around there - maybe 1-2 blocks away
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 12:46 am

In Vancouver

Is the Ivanhoe still open? When I was 19 and living in Seattle, we'd drive up to Vancouver to do some underage drinkin'. We stayed at a hostel that was acroos the street from the Ivanhoe and another really bummy bar called The American (or something). Right down the street was this shockingly good/cheap bistro that was upstairs from a pool hall. And then we'd eat breakfast in Chinatown... $2.95 Canadian (which is what? 50 cents US?) for a big (if kinda gross) breakfast. I love Vancouver.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 1:45 am

the place everyone goes to for brunch on the weekends

You must mean "Mama's on Washington Square." That place is still going strong, or at least it was the last time I went there a couple of years ago.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 2:18 am

that would be it. last time i was at mama's on washington square was 1999 or 2000.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 6:12 am

Toronto:
New York Subway - serves up giant East Indian inspired wrapped, um, "burritos." Cheap and filling. (perfect after-gig, pre-highway)
Tasty Restaurant - neighborhood lunch counter done up right. The menu got tweaked awhile ago courtesy of the former chef at Southern Accent. So now there are rib nights and chicken fried steak on the breakfast menu. You can still get a burger, but now it comes with toppings like carmelized onions, and collards as a side dish. Lunch counter prices still in effect.
La Bruschetta - not cheap, not expensive. Old school Toronto/Italian.

Detroit - yup, Lafayette Coney Island, sure. But my favorite is Telway - I happen to LOVE their coffee, but the sackful of burgers are the thing. I've made believers out of a few nay-sayers.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 2:31 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

I started responding to this and when the list got to like 20 places I decided it wasn't worthwhile. there's no way to even narrow it down. it all depends on mood.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 5:20 pm

OH MY HELL

oh my heck, beloved sister...

in my little town called provo i usually take people to a chinese place called rice king and a little salvadoran pupuseria. tasty and cheap.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 9:08 pm

well martel, its cuz you live in the city where they have the best food

is it all still there?

is mother's open/operating?
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 9:21 pm

are you from utah? Idaho?

nah...i just say that all the time. no real reason other than i just think it sounds antiquated and i like it. heh.
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 9:39 pm

Mother's is open. that would not be on my list though.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 12:08 am

mother's is closest food place open early near where i always stay.
you know - comfort, ease, familiarity

i love new orleans, but i keep getting warned NOT to go yet
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 9:24 pm

the wings are really good. We used to play next door at the Rudyard Kipling or whatever that place is called.

yeah , it's the Rudyard Kipling. Wangs N Thangs was closed for a while but I think it's back up and going.
Posted: Mar 24, 2006 9:55 pm

The owner dude Ken there is really cool. The last time we played there he gave a giant plastic cup of Booker bourbon for the road. That shit's like 8 bucks a shot and he must have gave me about 20 oz.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 7:41 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

clarklewis and Fife--fancy dinner (though this is jeans territory in Portland)

Tacqueria y Tortelleria De Leon--tacqueria

Autentica--sit down Mexican deliciousness

Genie's--Breakfast
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 7:46 pm

A Pizza Scholls--pizza (expensive) Mississippi Pizza---(cheap)

Stumptown or Fresh Pot--coffee

Foster & Dobbs--fancy cheeses

Mio Gelato--gelato (get it to go--nary a more prententious environment exists in this town)
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 7:53 pm

Mio Gelato--gelato (get it to go--nary a more prententious environment exists in this town)

Have you tried Staccato Gelato?

I like Fife but haven't made it to clarklewis. I always like to take people to the Kennedy School, even though their service sucks, it's still a novelty.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:13 pm

clarklewis was really good but maybe because we knew about 5 people on staff who all knew we were telling my dad and stepmom we were engaged that night. And we got the chef's menu...which apparently was rare for people to do at that time and he was thankful to get to experiment with us.

I like Staccato a lot more, but it isn't in our neighborhood like Mio is. Mio does have this great custard flavored gelato--just like frozen custard...well, I suppose it is frozen custard.

Kennedy School is definitely cool, esp. for the out-of-towners--but I never get over there lately.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:21 pm

I guess I don't get too many visitors these days. I can remember taking people to Montage (long ago), Delta, etc. I think my favorite place to take people I didn't really like was Sir Loins, or Poor Richards - good on the wallet too. The Rheinlander was fun as was that Fondue place in SW, probably before your time. Drinks at the Chart House. Actually, drinks at that old Paddle Wheeler moored by the Broadway was cool. I can't remember the name (Joe?) but it's long gone. Used to take people to the Alibi too. Actually used to like breakfast at the Overlook. Splatter!
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:28 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Montage--that was big when I first got here. I got so damn drunk at that place. The wine and oysters would flow. What a combo.

There was that place Tosis too--near Sir Loins. Funny Sandy Blvd. Have you heard about all the tavern robberies on Sandy and also on 42nd lately? Makes me want to avoid Club 21 for awhile.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:40 pm

The owner dude Ken there is really cool. The last time we played there he gave a giant plastic cup of Booker bourbon for the road. That shit's like 8 bucks a shot and he must have gave me about 20 oz.

Ken is the best. He's done a lot for local music and indy music coming through. The food there isn't bad either. Next time that you come here check out Barbara Lee's kitchen. Greasy spoon that is cheap but good.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 8:41 pm

oh yeah, they let me drink van winkle for super cheap.
Posted: Mar 28, 2006 9:48 pm

Toronto:
Sneaky Dees. Good prices, big portions, almost always open.

Kom Jug Yuen's: For cheap, late-night eats. Sure, its pretty sketchy, but you can't complain about $6 (CDN) Pad Thai that will last at least two meals.

Massimo's pizza. I read an interview with the Ponys saying this was the best pizza they'd had.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 12:29 am

There was that place Tosis too--near Sir Loins
The Rheinlander

Ahhhh, memories... That donut shop up there- Annies?- is the shit, too. Man, the Rheinlander was THEE place for birthdays growing up... It was always some peripheral birthday, though, like an uncle's or cousin's. I feel like I ate at that place once a month between the ages of 11 and 17.

Used to take people to the Alibi too. Actually used to like breakfast at the Overlook. Splatter!

Now we're talking... The Overlook is the most, er, overlooked breakfast joint in town! Crazy bar, with all of those fireplaces? Awesome, and you can smoke in there, too. We go to the Alibi sometimes, too, mostly when my roommate's already fucked up (it's 5 blks from us) and gets the urge to embarass her self at karaoke. Ever wander up to the Night Hawk? Also pretty great.

Montage USED TO BE a classic... the food has gone SO far downhill over the years... Dot's is always kinda fun- reminds me of being out past curfew during HS. The Delta, too, but I went there recently and it was pretty bad. Gotham/clarklewis for their "Portland-y" nature- out of towners will inevitably say, "Well, isn't this a neat, funky, little place?", to the embarassment of all involved... Junior's is good for breakfast, too. Stumptown/Fresh Pot for coffee, 820/Slowbar/Driftwood Room for cocktails (food at 820/Mint is sucking really bad, lately- stick to booze).
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 3:13 am

OH MY HELL

oh my heck, beloved sister...

well, my friends were all half heathen and actually said fuck sometimes instead of fetch. except megan johnson. she wouldn't even say fart or gay.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 3:39 am

mother's is closest food place open early near where i always stay.
you know - comfort, ease, familiarity

The NYC equivalent to Mother's would definitely be Katz's Delicatessin. Nothing at all wrong with the food, but the prices are outlandish, and the hospitality has all the warmth of being treated like cattle en route to slaughter. I've been to Katz's like 3 out of my last 4 trips to New York. Like you said, comfort, ease, familiarity.
Posted: Mar 29, 2006 10:15 pm

Burger King on Union Ave. They serve the best french toast in town! I wish every city had a Burger King!
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 3:59 am | Edited by: deadcityrebel

a chinese place called rice king

my friend took cococoma and headache city to this place and they all got the shits i think...least thats what norah was saying...so maybe its wendys from here on out
Posted: Mar 30, 2006 10:33 pm

Not Rice King, Burgr King!!!
Posted: Mar 31, 2006 9:30 pm

except megan johnson. she wouldn't even say fart or gay.

Huh? I say "fart" and "gay" all the time...

oh yeah, common name.
Posted: Apr 1, 2006 7:07 pm

mother's is closest food place open early near where i always stay

god i love that place.
Posted: Apr 2, 2006 1:01 am

BBQ PIT on Westnedge on K-zoo's Noth Side, Junior..come on..!! or

CI CI's Pizza.. "welcome to ci ci's..!!"
all you can eat and a coke product for 6 bucks!!!!
Posted: Apr 2, 2006 10:39 pm

i'll take them anywhere so as long as they're paying.
Posted: Apr 3, 2006 9:23 am

Hey Martel,
I haven't thought to ask anyone yet, but do you know if anything happened to Middendorf's? I know it's not IN New Orleans, but I worry about Manchac as well.
Posted: Apr 4, 2006 6:36 am

scott I ate me a thin sliced large palte abotu a month and a half ago..
Posted: Apr 4, 2006 10:14 am

And you didn't fuckin' bring me any? I know there was a reason I hated you.
Posted: Apr 4, 2006 2:44 pm

bbq pits sauce is yuck, but pit burger is good. also nice since its open late and i can walk there
Posted: Apr 5, 2006 9:42 pm

Colubus OH - The Blue Nile
Ethiopian! The owner and his wife are SO NICE. The food is so good! (This is the restaurant Morgan Spurlock took his girlfriend to for her birthday on that show '30 Days' where they tried to live on minimum wage for a month in Columbus.)
Posted: Apr 6, 2006 4:39 am

Brasserie for late night in Portland
Don't eat the clams
Juniors for breakfest
lunch go to new seasons and get the farm plate special
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®