Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Eggs Espresso?
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:21 pm

This place across the street from Milk of Burgundy called Urbus Orbis (Chicago circa 1994) would make this wonderful concoction called "Eggs Espresso". It looked like the barista (who would usually be Fred Armisen) would put beaten eggs with a little asiago cheese in a milk frothing cup and then steam them.

Can this be done without completing destroying your steam wand on yout espresso machine.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:29 pm

I heard of that, too. I think it would FUCK UP your steam wand after a while. But maybe not.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:32 pm

As long as you clean your wand after every use, it should be fine. (You'd better be wiping that thing after every use anyway).
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:37 pm

I'd say soak in bleach, too. Eggs are pretty good at sticking to shit... edible super glue.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:39 pm

Sponge w/a small dollop of dishwashing liquid. Gets it every time.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:51 pm

Yeah, but stuff goes up inside and even if you spray it out after you foam, I just imagine it would be hard to get all that egg out.

I don't know. It was just such a cool easy idea and no messy skillets!
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 11:32 pm

http://www.ineedcoffee.com/99/11/eggspresso/

I'm doing this.

(The requisite snobby comment from fiery: Cute that he thinks his Starbucks Barista is a high-end espresso machine)
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 12:03 am

Yeah, but stuff goes up inside
Sounds like a crappy steamer.
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 1:38 am | Edited by: fierydrunk

Nah, a barista at a fantastic cafe here said that the pressure when you turn the steamer off pulls a little back up into the wand, that is why you blow steam out after each foam. That is also why you are supposed to gradually pull the steamer toward the very top as the milk is foamed to pull the least amount back into the wand as you turn the steamer off.
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 4:56 am | Edited by: Jack Stands

said that the pressure when you turn the steamer off pulls a little back up into the wand,
That's why you leave it "steaming" as you pull it from the milk pot. Not for regular milk, but for thicker liquids (i.e. chocolate milk, anything sugar is added to); leave it on, decrease pressure, but pull out while steaming. Shut off steam. Wipe down with sponge. Quick burst of steam again. Repeat as necessary.
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 4:59 am

That is true though, that it will draw liquid back in if the valve is shut while wand is submerged.
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 9:59 am

Jack's a coffee maniac!
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 4:03 pm

Yes indeed he is. But that is exactly how I steam and the barista still told me to watch out as stuff can still get backed up in there after time even if you are "bursting the steam" after the stuff is foamed. Oh weel, I'll give it a shot and give it like 5 extra bursts of steam.

Any ideas of what I could soak the wand in every once in awhile to maybe loosen crap that may have gotten stuck in side the steam wand?

For some reason, I have a dirty mind this AM. That sounds really gross.
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 5:23 pm

rub it with olive oil or wrap it with good film ..as for inside just swab it out
Posted: Mar 11, 2006 5:32 pm

Merci beaucoups shags!

(hows things? tell Kristen and the fam HOLA)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®