Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / How to eat a whole avocado
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 5:51 am

I just sprinkled salt and lime juice on one.. not enough salt and the lime was far too tart. wish I had some chili powder. give me some ideas here. bet MSG would be good on one.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:03 am

Get a bowl, knife, spoon or pestle, flat surface, avocado, lime, salt, thick corn chips (hot sauce optional). Peel and pit the avocado. Chop it up into itty bitty pieces. Throw the pieces into the bowl. Quarter the lime. Squeeze three of the quarters into the bowl, squeeze the other over the chips. Mash the green goo with the spoon or pestle. Warm the chips (salted as needed) in an oven. Dip, crunch, repeat.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:48 am

back when i was a hippie
whole food junkie semi vegan
we bought this stuff called
Dr Bronner's mineral salt
don't know if and where it be
sold anymore
but it was great on avacado.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 11:18 am

Dr. Bronner's "Magical Soap", or whatever, is AWESOME! Go camoing- use it for dish soap, body soap, hair soap... everything!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 11:38 am

camoing

Uh. I mean CAMPING.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 2:17 pm

Chopped up avocado, handful of almonds and some soy sauce is very good for some reason.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 3:01 pm

chop up the avacado and mix it into some chunky salsa. add tuna if you'd like. eat on tostadas or with chips.

salt, lime, and chili powder is better on a mango!
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 3:23 pm

Plain.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 3:39 pm

ditto on plain.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 3:42 pm

plain? no salt or nothin?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 3:50 pm

Maybe a bit, but it shouldn't be necessary.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 4:07 pm

I like this avocado salad w/ sliced tomatos, red onions and balsamic vinegar. good shit
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 4:34 pm

I bet it would be good to halve the avocado, remove the pit, and put that sour cream / chili sauce mixture from the other thread in where the pit was.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 5:24 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

If I am not in the mood to make guacamole or a whole sandwich with avocado slices, I just cut it in half and can usually eat a half, no salt, nothin', easily. It is best when they are perfectly ripe--not too soft.

I knife the seed out and just use a spoon to scrape out bites.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 5:46 pm

there's no wrong way to eat food if you like the way it tastes.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:06 pm

there's no wrong way to eat food if you like the way it tastes.

amen

avocado slices with peppered turkey smoked gouda bacon mayo brown mustard and a pita rolled and warmed up...young avenue deli used to make this...maybe they still do?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:06 pm

I like to pour just a little balsamic vinegar into the cavity left by pit removal and eat it.
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 6:43 pm

When I was bike messenger in SF, this was my lunch 95% of the time:
1 avocado
1 sourdough baguette (Boudin or Parisian usually)
Mustard packets and pepper from the store deli

I'd tear open the bread so there was a big stuffable notch (Wendy C's new band- The Stuffable Notches.) I'd squirt the mustard packets all over the inside of the bread. Next, I'd cut the avocado in half and start scooping out the contents with a spoon and depositing it onto the mustarded-bread. After all the avocado was inside the bread, I'd sprinkle pepper on top. Good quick eating.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 1:04 am

I was bike messenger in SF

HA!

Anyway, slice that avo up, slice up a nice ripe tomato, get some white bread, put mayo on the bread, put toms on the bread, put a little sea salt on the toms, put the avo slices on, put a little salt on those, and put the other piece of bread (also w/mayo) on top.

Perfect summer sandwhich.

Add bacon on payday.
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 1:47 am

Slice it up and dip it in a xxx virgin olive oil and throw in a dash of salt.
Posted: Mar 12, 2006 12:52 am

Salt
Pepper
Cayenne powder
MMMMMMMMMMMMM...Delicious
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 6:26 am

A little less traditional, but if you dip sliced avacado in soy sauce with wasabi, you've got yourself some poor man's sashimi. Good stuff.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®