Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Has anyone ever used the polenta-style grits in Souther recipes?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:07 pm

I haven't. I bought some. I don't wanna ruin my dish. What do you think?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:08 pm

If you cook 'em long enough (which is pretty long) and add some milk or cream to smooth 'em out, you should be fine.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:28 pm

Will do. They already ask for a 20 minute cooking time which is 15 minutes longer than quick grits. I just wanna see what yellow grits would taste like.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:34 pm

Yeah, are they the Bob's Red Mill stuff? 'Cause if they are, they're good, but require about 20-40 minutes of CONSTANT whisking over medium heat- if there's too much heat, the water will evaporate too quickly. Kind of a pain, but they're really good- more hearty and a little different flavor than regular grits.

The milk thing is just to make 'em seem creamier, like traditional grits. Not required by any means.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:49 pm

DO you add the milk later on in the process just to emulsify? You don't cover em like with quick grits?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 8:58 pm

Yeah- I usually add a little whole milk/half'n'half toward the end of the cooking process... like, a little after they're halfway done. Just to let 'em soak up the milk and get a little creamy. You could probably do it traditional style though, 'cause polenta and grits are almost EXACTLY the same thing.
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:00 pm

So, just so I am clear--you cover while you cook, but whisk occaisionally? Or no cover and whisk constantly?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 10:11 pm

No cover, whisk constantly! I mean, you don't gotta stand there and whisk the ENTIRE time, but you can't let it sit for more than a minute or else the bottom will scorch and you'll have gross polenta and a hell of a time cleaning up.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®