Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:18 am

As in cactus. As in grilled, drenched in lime juice and piled on top of carne asada.

Any takers?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:32 am

When I worked at Whole Paycheck, the doods in grocery had a hot plate and they'd warm up some tor-tillas, open a can of Nopalitos and Jaime's [sold 'fresh'] chile picoso and voila....we feasted like the grunts we were.

However, it's sorta flavorless, don-cha think?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 9:41 am

There's a market by my house that has nopales... never tried 'em, though. Maybe I'll do it up Cuervo style when we've got our deck finished.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 10:12 am

However, it's sorta flavorless, don-cha think?

You gotta go with fresh Nopales. The canned and jarred stuff is flavorless. Most mexican markets will sell the big cactus leaves in the produce section. Sometimes, they'll even help you out and cut off the needles/thorns. Sauteed nopales are really good with eggs and chorizo.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 1:10 pm

In Chicago El Milagro Taquaria has the best nopales (and toratillas)! Fresh with onion, red peppers(?), and some sort of heavenly white, crumably mexican cheese. I think they toss it in oil or something....on a fresh tortilla...delicioso!
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 1:22 pm

How do you cook them? I've always wondered about the big cactus leaves in the Kroger produce section. Do you just chop them up and sautee them? Peel?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 1:53 pm

I just checked my Diana Kennedy cook book (despite her gringo name, he books on mexican cooking are amazing)...

-peel them, chop them up, and sautee/steam with onions and olive oil and salt.

or

-take the whole 'leaf' and shave the spines and the edge of it. make 4 or 5 verticle slits. grill on a lightly greased surface until it turns to a yellowish color with a few brown patches.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 3:05 pm

Thanks!
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 3:20 pm

My gramma used to cut the leaves off the cactus herself in front of her house and dice them up for breakfast with scrambled eggs. We called them "square peas."
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 3:45 pm

I've always thought they were slightly tart. I love the texture. I've always had them in strips, like skinny cactus fajitas.

GREAT in breakfast tacos!
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 4:20 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

What is the taste similar to?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 4:24 pm

Broccoli stems?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 5:09 pm

In Portland you can get the fresh paddles at Big City Produce on Albina + Sumner. They gots of good/cheap/weird stuff.

I always imagined they would taste like aloe.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 5:29 pm

Me too! Though I've never eaten aloe.
I'll have to get a hunk and check it out. I wonder if you can peel them with a pototo peeler? It's getting real warm here...maybe I'll just break out the Weber and try them that way. That'd go down as REAL exotic at my next BBQ.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:42 pm

Love 'em! They have the same consistency as french-cut green beans and go great mixed with eggs & chorizo in breakfast tacos.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:59 pm

GOYA brand is decent if you wanna pick up a jar. Just look in the ethnic/beaner section of your grocery store.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 7:08 pm | Edited by: Hugh Jass

Though I've never eaten aloe.

It's a great laxative. I used to work at a health food store. It was the highlight of my day to hear people describe the efficacy of various natural laxatives. For the record, if you decide to use senna leave tea for your laxative, bring a very long book and a sleeping bag into the bathroom with you. You're not going anywhere for a while.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 7:22 pm

I ate aloe as a kid... we had a plant in the kitchen for burns and stuff, and one day I broke some off and ate the goo.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®