Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Recent Dinners?
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 4:27 pm

Last night, Ryan made this delicious soup we used to make a lot--a "rustic" French soup where you soak some day old baguette in milk and then slice up some shallots or leeks and cook in veal stock and then blender it all up and add a lil heavy cream---so good!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Damn yall are some cookin fools..by the time I get home from work (and yes i am the cook in th house) i dont feel like cookin toast!! Seriously, I need to get in the habit but damn its hard to do (meaning cooking and eating at home). Yall have some intense Iron Chef type shit goin on up in that camp!!
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 10:20 pm

It is our hobby. He's way more talented than I am, but I gots skills with certain things!
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 1:48 am

I've been eating lentil soup from a can that my mom bought me.

Things are a little slim 'round these parts. Anyone wanna buy a house?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 5:09 am

Frozen pizza and Cheerios and a brownie....

I seriously need a job.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 5:18 am

I am sick and all I wanted was Tom Kha. I had forgotten where I had gotten some decent Tom Kha (other than Chaba) and we thought it was at that Monsoon place. Well, that place SUCKS. Watered down "coconut milk" and some random crap thrown in. No galanga, no spice.

Thai Thai was the the place (the one on Stark) that has the Tom Kha that is almost as good as Chaba.
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 5:52 am

That the place on Mississippi? Right around the corner from my house! Yeah- it's not the greatest... but I kinda like the Tom Kha when I'm sick, specifically 'cause it's so mild and boring.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 6:00 pm

i made a tasty chicaken curry last night with good curry, not the regular store bought kind. it was pretty awesome. fuck a damn indian resturant.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 6:29 pm

It was the Monsoon on Alberta--there was no way this was good for anything. It was embarrassingly bad. No excuse when there are like at least 6 thai places on that street alone.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 8:05 pm

You should check out the place on Mississippi... it's connected to a laudromat, and used to be a soul food place called Soup + Soap.

Well, now it's a Thai place, and it's pretty cheap, and it's not bad. I've only ever had the green curry, which I really liked, and the Tom Kha, which is ok-to-pretty good. I usually only eat it when I'm sick, and so get it spicier than I usually would, so I can taste it.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 9:13 pm

Last night I made chorizo, black bean and corn quesadillas , had them with some spanish rice , chips and salsa that I made. pretty good .
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 2:38 am

i've been eating out for a week because i've been traveling

yesterday was paczski day (polish mardi gras for people who don't know), and i was staying in hamtramck, so my day was filled w/ polish pastries. breakfast, lunch and dessert

for dinner, i had BBQ in detroit at a new joint called slows (timmy vulgar works there; keep him employed! eat there) which was excellent. pulled pork...mmm very rich
they had a lot of different sauces to try out. my verdict:
North Carolina sauce - good, very good even, but not yet all the way there (as in it didn't quite cut the richness of the pork w/ a counterpoint that i was looking for)
their new smoked tomatillo sauce, however, was awesome

a week ago, i was treated to a nice dinner in muskegon by a couple friends and had this bowl of "magical cheese soup" which indeed was. we also had some authentic and awesome brisket tacos the next day before the michigan joy ride continued. and of course, in detroit, it was much more drinking than dining
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:23 pm

Damn, Theresa. Traveling really is fun, isn't it?

Tonight I'm making wangs (w/Crystal's), sweet potatoes, and green bean casserole. Southern or what??
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:33 pm

Tuesday night I boiled 6lbs of shrimp with potatoes, onions, and garlic (my secret ingredient is a can of cheap beer, stirred in with water, the Old Bay spice bag, and some secret liquid boil my dad concocted), and made a pot of red beans and rice, straight from the Zatarain's box. toasted a baguette and drank about 100 beers. it was the perfect goodbye to Mardi Gras 2006!
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 9:48 pm

Great googly moogly! Andria!!
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 10:09 pm

that Zatarain's sure is convenient, isn't it? i love it! sounds like a great send off to mardi gras, andria
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 10:20 pm

well, other people ate it, Alisa! I can't do that much shrimp alone!

and yep, TK, Zatarain's rules. it's funny though bc non-Louisianans think it's a tourista product, but natives know it's really good!
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 10:27 pm

Sorry I missed it. I gotta quit my job.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 10:28 pm

I heart skrimp.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 10:34 pm

well, other people ate it, Alisa! I can't do that much shrimp alone!

call me up next time! that sounds divine...
(I used to keep Zatarain's remoulade in my fridge all the time. I don't think they make it anymore?)
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:23 pm

sorry, will do -- it was a real spur of the moment kinda thing --

and hey -- I just got a buncha cookbooks in the mail:
a farmer's market cookbook with intro by Alice Waters
Cookout USA
an ice cream cookbook
and... the Meat Lover's Cookbook - For Girls Only!
gotta go shopping so I can try out these recipes.

I am so hungry for spring that I am making potato salad tonight!
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 11:56 pm

so hungry for spring

have you seen the commercials for fruit from chile? they talk about it being winter in the US and summer down there... its kind of long and they hammer the point... esp. since i'm sitting in 27 degree temps...
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 12:13 am

you oughtta be in Memphis -- it was 70 degrees at 10:15PM last nite!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®