Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Shit from the deli case I have never had
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:19 pm

I have scoped this shit out, but never purchased for obvious reasons. Anyone actually eat or recommend these questionable lunchmeats?:

Mortadella
Thuringer
Head Cheese (sweet or sour)
Tongue (any variety)
Souse
Blood Sausage
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:23 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I have eaten much cow lengua in my life--my dad would buy the kind that was cured in a little bad with all the juice and then boil it and serve with cabbage. It tasted just like corned beef, but it had all those taste buds on it so I would cut those off and eat the inside. It was good.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:36 pm

Again, I apologize for my typos. I am old and have a neurological disorder and I taught myself how to type in like 1990. I am embarrassed!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:01 pm | Edited by: carney

Mortadella is really good italian bologna, usually with pistachios in it. Head Cheese and Souse are about the same thing. Not really my cup o guts. I think Souse is basically the southern version of scrapple. Any food with the word crap in it, has to be bad.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:12 pm

Mortadella rules... fancypants bologna with a fairly high fat content. More fat=more awesome!

Tongue is pretty alright, head cheese is a little weird.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 10:07 pm

What does tongue taste like?
Some Sunday mornings when I wake up, I can't even stand the taste of my OWN tongue
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 10:24 pm

Mortadella is one of my faves.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 10:26 pm

Sliced tongue is pretty similar to corned beed, at least when it's on rye with mustard. The legendary Carnegie Deli in NYC has a good tongue sandwich. It's like $13 for a sandwich, but it's enough meat for 4 regular sandwiches.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 10:29 pm

Thuringer is like Braunschweiger. It's good on a Saltine.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 1:41 am

Yeah, as stated. Cow tongue tastes like a moister corned beef. I like it sliced with durkee's mustard on the side.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 2:37 am

i finally ate some gorganzola on a roast beff sandwich at this swanky little deli in salt lake...not impressed; i picked it all off...my friends dog loved it
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 8:09 pm

My great grandmother used to season veges w/ tongue, but I don't rember ever actually eating the tongue
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 9:14 pm

ugh. i will never again eat headcheese. my grandma used to try to get me to eat that over and over again when i was younger and i hate the taste of it still to this day. barfaroni.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 4:58 pm

So what's the scoop on blood sausage?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:41 am

Bought blood sausage when an old friend came to visit and we piled up snacks and booze for the evening. We all thought it was really good that night, but the next morning it was a little gross for the repeat, hangovers aside.

Its got spongy areas that I am assuming is some kind of congealed bloody stuff and then there are big chunks of fat or lard--those are the most memorable parts in my experience. I don't think it's likely that I'll eat it again, but who knows?
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 10:03 am

me luv chorizo....Spanish style..goooood stuff.!!
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 8:56 pm

So what's the scoop on blood sausage?
it be good....richer than anything...

Its got spongy areas that I am assuming is some kind of congealed bloody stuff and then there are big chunks of fat or lard--
that's "suet", basically a hard fat.....

me luv chorizo....Spanish style..goooood stuff.!!
Spanish blood sausage is called Morcilla, and it's really good....
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 9:14 pm

mortadella is delicious and not at all scary

blood sausage is ridiculously rich. not my cuppa tea... you may like it.

alternate names for blood sausage products:
black pudding
morcilla
boudin (rouge or noir)
blutwurst

just so you aren't surprised when you think "maybe i'll try THIS sausage."
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 4:28 pm

just so you aren't surprised when you think "maybe i'll try THIS sausage."

change THIS to ANY and I agree...don't think about what's inside....
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 7:35 am

those fresh anchovies, got to be cooled cause they ain't salted..
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 8:26 am

Tried some mortadella finally. Its good! I never knew those hunks of stuff were pistachios.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®