Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:09 pm

How many goners use real food products -- butter, mayonnaise, eggs, bacon, sugar, oil -- as opposed to altered, fake, or manmade products like margarine, "salad dressing," eggbeaters, bac-os, splenda, and Pam?

I use the real stuff, and try to convince myself to use less bc the flavor goes further.

I do believe it's better to use the freshest and most natural of ingredients than something concocted in a lab and treated with preservatives and god knows what else. but I don't apply the same thought when buying vegetables (I think organic is a nice idea, but here, it's expensive and a pain in the ass to find).

I know I get raves when I make, say, chocolate chip cookies, using "real" ingredients.

does anyone else have an opinion?
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:12 pm

always real.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:14 pm

I use only real, except I do use Earth Balance when I make scrambled eggs rather than butter as it is healthier and I have high cholesterol.

I also tend to buy organic and naturally-raised (whatever that entails) beef, chicken etc. Seafood I tend to buy what is good that day. We are really extraordinarily lucky in this city to have that be very easy to do and there is a huge value placed on these products. If and when we ever get out of here, the food shopping will be what I miss the most.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:16 pm

I know I get raves when I make, say, chocolate chip cookies, using "real" ingredients.

I use both fake and real stuff, but there is NO substitute for real butter in chocolate chip cookies. That's how my wife makes them and that's what I want to be served on my deathbed.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:19 pm

I had a roommate who used margarine in her cookies and they were DISGUSTING. I had to act like I was dieting to get out of eating them.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:25 pm

yep my mama tried to make me a texas chocolate/buttermilk sheet cake for my birthday a few years ago -- she used splenda, and the result was absolutely disgusting.

seafood here is definitely on a what's fresh today basis. I usually buy whatever steak I see on sale, but after reading the carbon monoxide story, I'm gonna try to do what I've been meaning to for a while, and shop at a genuine butcher shop.

I tried to have the "partially hydroginated" conversation with my mom, who's an AMAZING cook, but she's stuck on her margarine and/or country crock.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:33 pm

I am not sure why that margarine thing took hold. My mom is a Country Crock gal herself. I didn't know any better until I moved in with my dad as a teenager and he had unsalted sweet butter with every meal and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I now buy european-style butter sometimes with baguettes for snacks--it is so good--more creamy.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:37 pm

hey Kristin -- the new Everyday Food just arrived in the mail (my folks got me a subscription) and grilled cheese sandwiches are on the cover -- before the mail came, I'd made my first grilled cheese of the new year! also inside -- a carbonara recipe -- EF is in tune with the goner board!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:41 pm

REAL!

The shorcuts I use usually involve that salad-in-a-bag stuff, but it's organic, so I don't feel as bad.

I try, like Fiery, to buy organic/natural/wild/etc. when I grocery shop, which is why Trader Joe's is such a good deal. 99% of their shit is organic, and super cheap too!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:49 pm

and...

It is ALL ABOUT UNSALTED BUTTER!!!!

Fiery- I know the whole "European-style" thing is popular, but I would steer you clear of that (not that you use this- I'm just sayin') "Cremerie Classique" stuff in the white box with the faux-German-esque font. You know what I'm talkin 'bout? Seems to be the most popular/widely available stuff in town...

Anyway, I happened to glance at the ingredients list once, and in addition to cream, it listed "natural flavoring"! I don't what the fuck needs to go into butter besides cream, but "flavoring" definitely don't.

You should check out some of the local stuff- Mother's Choice, or anything else that comes from the Raven Creamery. Also- one of the cheese guys at the Farmer's Market makes butter that will fuck you up! It's salted, but so fucking good I can forgive 'em on that. Probably really expensive, though.

Generally- avoid imported butters (Plurga, Kelly's Irish Butter, etc.) even though they look cool and are usually high quality- travelling that far isn't good for anything, and the local stuff will taste WAY better and more fresh.

That's all. I really love butter.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:49 pm

Ryan made the EF Chicken Tostadas last night. It was cute to see him walking around the house with that little digest.

Oh yeah, I too love the Mixed Greens in a Bag.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:51 pm

I got the Horizon Organics one and it was great. Then I bought some French butter in the shape of a tube and it was NAST. I will not be buying that. Mother's Choice is good and cheap.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:06 pm

Yeah- the Horizon's stuff is pretty good, and so is Organic Valley- which I actually prefer. They're a co-op type business, and even though they're based in Wisconsin, everything that you buy in your city generally comes from farms in your state.

Mother's Choice is the real deal, though. I could eat that shit by the spoonful.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:47 pm

Real is always better. I also go for cream in my coffee as opposed to skim, because seriously, what difference does one tablespoon a couple of times a day make? I do prefer a glass of skim milk to homo milk (er...), though.

One good thing about food products up here in Canada is that the use of trans fats (that's the partially hydrogenated stuff) has been almost eliminated, because it's on the verge of being banned.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 10:15 pm

i use real puppies and kittens EXCLUSIVELY.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 11:24 pm

puppies and kitties are like veal -- so tender -- but i can never get all that FUR off!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 12:24 am

Y'all are all preachin to the choir here.
Except for the puppies and kitties part...

You should hear my friend Quata go off about high fructose syrup. It's a sight to behold.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 12:28 am

I hada doctor tell me that margarine is one molecule away from being PLASTIC.
Don't know if it's true but real butter is the real deal.....the onlyest way to go.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 1:48 am

Real, except crab.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 2:12 am

Have you ever had a Krab cake? That can't be good.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 2:41 am

You're a krab cake.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:36 am

mmm, krab cakes...

and to clarify: when I said this "I use the real stuff, and try to convince myself to use less bc the flavor goes further", I meant that I can use less butter bc it's so flavorful, whereas if I used oleo, I'd hafta use a whole stick instead of a T to get the same taste.

I didn't mean that I'm switching from real to fake!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:46 am

I'm on a new diet where I only eat the plastic food in the display case...I hope to soon be in Spin magazine and Rolling Stone
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 8:58 am

I do Real only if its Fake. Real Gluten and Tempe....yum!
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 12:56 pm

freeze dried ice cream...whew
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:11 pm

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:24 pm

hey, speaking of real crab, I was at a vietnamese grocery the other day and they had imported canned crabmeat for way cheap, I think a can was like $1.99. Do you think it'd be disgusting?
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 5:25 pm

Uh, check the date.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 6:59 am

i use real unless i'm cooking for vegan friends

i actually made an edible vegan pecan pie once
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 9:27 am

Goat butter. It is amazing.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 9:16 pm

i use all real stuff except for bacon. i tend to either skip on it or use the veggie variety.

now, i've used other things when i am cooking for people who don't eat dairy or eggs or whatever. it turns out good, but i just don't have the time and energy to fuck around with it all the time.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®