Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / best way to turn a vegetarian on to meat
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:14 pm

i'm looking for ideas, my boyfriend has made comments here and there about eating a steak, or maybe eating seafood someday, so i have hope.

here's my plan so far:

well, first i'm cooking all sorts of stuff w/ lots of veggies and just a little meat and making the house smell yummy.

second, i'm trying to broker this deal: i'll go hunting and even clean and cook the meat if he agrees to eat it! i have co-workers who hunt, so this could actually work if he agreed to it!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:19 pm

Wave a cheeseburger in front of his face.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:22 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

Fresh seafood. Like seafood caught that day. Does the trick. Lobster or crab, esp.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:32 pm

Eh, I'm not a big fan of Lobster, it's too much work for such a little bit of meat. (In Belize they had lobster dinners for $10US!!! I instead went with the barracuda steak, which was ok.) But I like the idea of fresh seafood. Seafood should be a no brainer - we don't have too much emotional attachment to fish (with them little ity bitty brains) and it is SOOO good for you, helps depression and your brain and alla that.

Cheeseburgers are not gonna do it, have you had the Boca brand cheeseburgers? They're delicious. especially with MORE cheese on 'em.

Fuck. I'm hungry.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Ok then get a nice fish--people can be really picky but I would say something like snapper would be a good bet. Or trout, depending on where you are and what kind you can get. Pan-fry it cos everything tastes good fried.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:55 pm

Pan seared ahi tuna is the way to go. Heat up some sesame oil, roll the steak in some sesame seeds, drop in pan, cook the outside only and barely.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:59 pm

Yeah that is a good one, definitely!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:03 pm

Plus it's really meaty, so if you wanna acclimate someone to eatnig REAL meat, that might be the way to do it.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:04 pm

My menu recommendation (as a vegetarian married to a male vegetarian):

Angel hair pasta with a roasted red pepper sauce.
VERY spicy shrimp (Fresh shrimp, unshelled, etc), broiled, I have a really great, EASY recipe. Cayenne, olive oil, couple other things..
Garlic mashed potatoes
A yummy polenta (maybe a chipotle polenta with sundried tomatoes)

Now you have lots of veggies, and a main meat-based course no man can resist. And the house will smelly yummy.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:06 pm

(as a vegetarian married to a male vegetarian):

I knew there was something screwy about you two.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:12 pm

i'm gonna have to try that tuna recipe. i love it when it's pink. i've accidently really COOKED tuna before and it's kinda gross if it's not almost raw.

lay that spicey shrimp recipe on me!

everytime I see/read/hear "angel hair pasta" I think of the bald one Womb Raider has locked up.... (see the "What are you eating/drinking..." thread) I laugh and laugh...someone needs to turn that into a cartoon or something.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:17 pm

Bacon. Frying bacon. Anyone who can't salivate to the smell of frying bacon probably hates freedom.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:18 pm

Yeah, go with the shrimp. That tuna may make a meat eater eat meat, but not a vegetarian. News flash: fish isn't really that good or exciting. And I thought I loved it when I ate it... And almost raw fish to entice a vegetarian? Shrimp or scallops are barely living things and are yummy!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:25 pm

lay that spicey shrimp recipe on me!

I'll post it tonight when I get home. It's so easy it's ridiculous, and it's probably the best thing I've ever eaten. Nick and I made it once on the grill, and we ended up eating like 8 lbs of it. Not a good idea...
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:25 pm

Yeah, and besides shrimp, bacon is about the only thing I actually miss eating.

BUT, pigs are smarter than dogs and as a vegetarian I've read stories about loading them while they're still living into trucks with hooks through their eyes and asses and then packed on top of each other in 100 degree heat so that half of them suffocate to death on the way to the slaughterhouse. I gave up any type of pig flesh a LONG time before I gave up anything else- mostly because I got a dog I really loved and made a connection. And since he's a vegetarian he obviously cares about things like this too, so he's probably read the same shit.

But good luck!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:34 pm

Baby...

Wait 'til we tell 'em 'bout Wilbur!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:46 pm

Why would you want him to not be a vegetarian. I didn't know there were any vegetarian adult males left. I gotta get me one of those.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 5:57 pm

Why would you want him to not be a vegetarian.

Because women love to change men. I mean look at the lengths!

i'll go hunting and even clean and cook the meat if he agrees to eat it! i have co-workers who hunt, so this could actually work if he agreed to it!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 7:17 pm

Bacon. Frying bacon. Anyone who can't salivate to the smell of frying bacon probably hates freedom.

Bacon is a sweet smell, and something you don't smell much up north.

Once or twice a week is cool, but to live above folks who cook that shit daily and sometimes for dinner, after a year it gets really old. Coughing up that smell during the day. Drove me to move and set up a meatless kitchen.

On the same note, I work downtown where the air is always thick with the Butcher Shop and Rendezvous. In M-town its eat meat or fuck off, ain't no pussy ass bi-coastal vegetarian shit here, or if there is you can count on it not being open for long.

<reason #310 why Memphis and I are in divorce court)
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 7:23 pm

That tuna may make a meat eater eat meat, but not a vegetarian

I'm gonna agree with this. Too many people, including carnivores, don't like fish. It's too fishy. However, I don't think shrimp is fool-proof, either. Lots of folks won't eat shellfish, "because it looks like a bug." I love all seafood.

I was a vegetarian for 13 years, 6 of those years vegan. The first non-veg thing I ate was a HUGE ribeye steak at my sister's wedding rehearsal dinner. I had been mulling the idea of quitting vegetarianism for awhile. When they put those steaks down in front of folks, the meat looked and smelled so delicious that I decided then and there that night was THE night. I wound up eating my whole steak and half of my cousin's. And no, I did not get sick.

If someone's commited to their vegetarianism, you're not gonna be able to change them with ANY food. (I lived in Iowa almost the whole time I was a vegetarian. I was literally surrounded by delicious pork and I was never tempted to cheat when I was still "in" to the whole thing.) But if someone is on the fence, and is no longer devoted to the cause anymore, you're gonna need something more powerful than lowly shrimp. Bust out a medium rare steak. If he's the least bit "curious" about exploring his carnivorous proclivities, he'll be chowing on that thing before you know it.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 7:23 pm

cum in their mouth
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:04 pm

I know, I know about "not being able to change anyone" and he's a vegetarian, let him be one.blahblah...the thing is, he doesn't have any good reason to be a vegetarian! he still eats like crap, he wears leather, he's not overly emotional about the animal thing, *i'm* more sensitive to buying organic produce and dairy, meats without a bunch of crap in 'em, etc. he's the one who drops hints about eating meat again every once in a while. anyways, he's having weird health problems and i think part of it is his diet. the other thing is, i RULE his cooking world, i make chinese chicken pizza with soysage, and am even gonna try these little veggie meatloaf balls. i don't care for that much meat myself, i'm just trying to entice him into broadening his horizons.

you know what i really hate? LAZY vegetarians and vegans. a friend (who turned my boyfriend on to being a vegetarian, damn him) turned vegan and would come home with bottles of baileys, he'd buy fun-yums without reading the ingredients. he'd be half way through his bag of crap and THEN read the ingredients that included buttermilk or whatever.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:06 pm

p.s. i think his biggest worry is the effect meat will have on his digestive system.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:51 pm

you're gonna need something more powerful than lowly shrimp.

You haven't eaten my shrimp! They're awesome little guys. I bet they were really ugly when they were alive, too.

c lotta - your man is definitely not committed to it. And if he eats like crap he may as well have a hamburger. I don't believe in eating like crap - not that I don't do it - but it's my biggest motivator to stay vegetarian. I also only buy organic stuff for my house. And I never touch fast food (although I dream about White Castle sometimes).

Be careful if you choose steak. Don't cook it in the house, cook it on the grill. I love steak and can't stand the stench of cooking meat after all this time.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:52 pm

And, for the record, Chipotle is not fast food.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 8:57 pm

You haven't eaten my shrimp!
Hey, I loooove shrimp! I even eat the kind with the legs and tail and eyes and junk still intact. But if you're gonna try and "turn out" a lapsing vegetarian, you've gotta bring out the big guns. You don't bring out some kid to do a man's job.

I love steak and can't stand the stench of cooking meat after all this time.
No wonder I'm no longer a vegetarian. I loved the smell of cooking meat even when I was vegan. A cooking steak is my 2nd favorite smell after fried onions.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:08 pm

You don't bring out some kid to do a man's job.

Nooo...........Ya gotta ease him into it. It's like when you quit smoking. One day you're like "Oh, I'll just have one with this beer at the bar" and a week later you're back to two packs a day. At least, that's what would happen to me.

My shrimp will kick your smelly cow's butt! I'll get some pumped up with hormones and antibiotics, and your cow will never know what hit him!

Man, I want some Chipotle now.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:08 pm

Chipotle should have shrimp!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:20 pm

Get them wasted ass drunk at Gonerfest.... Bill ate 2 double-cheeseburgers after not eating meat for 10 years!
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:32 pm

Nooo...........Ya gotta ease him into it. It's like when you quit smoking. One day you're like "Oh, I'll just have one with this beer at the bar" and a week later you're back to two packs a day. At least, that's what would happen to me.

I'm more EXTREME than that (BTW, my Mountain Dew commercial debuts tomorrow.) I usually do everthing all the way or not at all. I've never smoked, but if I ever started, I would start out by smoking a carton per day. And if I ever started using drugs, I would go straight to black tar heroin. But that's just the way I roll. (Add that to the list of annoying phrases on the ??? forum.)

I'll get some pumped up with hormones and antibiotics
Please send me some of your EXTREME shrimp when you find some.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 9:41 pm

Chipotle - the burrito place, right? - that's owned by McDonalds!

I'd rather eat White Castles (which is probably no better!)....mmm...jalapeno cheeseburgers....they're soooo bad for you, yet soooooo goood...

---My shrimp will kick your smelly cow's butt!--- ::: Lula, this is awesome...right up there with the "skinnys" and "Buenos Nachos"

But wait, so do you guys call yourselves vegetarians even tho you eat fish/shrimps/little creatures?
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 10:10 pm

Make him a cheeseburger, tell him its a boca
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 10:14 pm

cum in their mouth

oh wait, i thought this thread said "how do you get a vegetarian to stop sucking your dick". my bad.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 11:53 pm

Please send me some of your EXTREME shrimp when you find some.

Oh, so you really want to see if you can take on my shrimp. Pfft...

But wait, so do you guys call yourselves vegetarians even tho you eat fish/shrimps/little creatures?

We don't eat seafood anymore - but we still talk about it a lot! Here's the recipe - it's really fast (20 mins):

1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne (feel free to overindulge, I do)
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tbs olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/2 - 2 lbs shrimp in the 20-30 per lb range (buy fresh, unpeeled - but peel before preparing)
Lemon wedges (optional...)

preheat broiler, adjust rack to be close to heat source
mince garlic with the salt, mix with cayenne and paprika, then make a paste with the olive oil and lemon juice. Smear the paste all over the shrimp. Broil shrimp 2-3 mins per side. Serve immediately or at room temp with lemon wedges. YUM!

If he eats just one of these there's no stopping him after that. For real. I may go eat some. But I won't call myself a vegetarian anymore.
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:02 pm

in & out burger turned one vegetarian i know "the other way."
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 11:53 pm

oooh I had in-n-out last night, so damn good.
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 2:10 am

There's an In & Out 3 blocks from here. Shut up or I'm gonna blow my diet and ruin my pants.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 4:54 am

get them really drunk and then stuff a Reuben in their mouth
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 6:46 am

get them really drunk and then stuff a Reuben in their mouth

this would be the second meal...

what if you made a curry of some sort with a small amount of chicken mixed in with fried tofu or seitan then gradually in other meals add more and more meat. but it think chicken is an easy way to start.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 8:04 am

convince them to funnel beer and then cram a steak into the funnel. Viola!
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 7:53 pm

cheeseburgers and reubens would probably not be the way to go. that stuff would probably seem really unappetizing to a vegetarian and would be quite a shock to their system even if they did eat it. you've got to ease your way back into meat, start with seafood or maybe some chicken.
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 4:43 pm

--"in & out burger turned one vegetarian i know "the other way.""

And Arman said he didn't have a good time in Memphis.....
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 5:00 pm

oh wait....you mean "the other way" as in eating meat....yeah....SURE.
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 2:26 am

truer words were never spoken

i used bacon to successfully turn a veggie back into a meat eater.
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 10:07 am

tell the vegatarian, they're missing out on alot of important vitamins(which they do..) especially Iron.
P.S. Im a Dr.
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 4:20 pm

Dr. Pepper
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 5:02 pm

i'm a pepper
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 8:58 pm

Bacon will make a bull dyke suck dick....
Posted: Mar 4, 2006 11:29 pm

Bacon will make a bull dyke suck dick....

especially if you rubbed the bacon all over your dick
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 1:36 pm

Yeah, I'll 2nd (I mean) 5th or 6th this motion. Fry Bacon and do it often. Lay out stuff for BLTs, he'll eventually crack.
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 7:09 pm

Serve them meat that tastes like bean curd.
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 5:00 pm

move to new orleans, worked for us
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®