Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Why eggs, milk and bread?
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 12:05 am

Okay, impending doom is impending. Whenever they talk about it they say "Get to the store and get eggs, milk and bread!"

Are these the staff of life?
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 12:13 am

I rarely have eggs or milk on hand. In this situation I would go straight for the beer, then the toilet paper, buy a bunch of snack food, then go to the liquor store.

that's always been my hurricane prep routine, anyway.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:21 am

They need to add cheese to that mix as well...and some damn meat! We are just in an "Arctic Blast" right now, but it is more clear and sunny than it has been in months. We got a fire going and are making some fancy brined pork dish.

What doom is happening in MEM?
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:31 am

Big ice storm tonight, fiery. Check other weather related threads on Memphis and ???.
That's mine...cheese. Just cheese. And the liquor store.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 1:41 am

On Sesame Street it was "A loaf of bread, a container of milk, and a stick of butter" (read that in a New York/Puerto Rican accent a la a 5 year-old Rosie Perez.)

I think I'd go for some kind of nuts, jerky, and a lot of canned foods.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 9:43 pm

eggs milk & bread.... like marie antoinnette - you're gonna have french toast in the apocalypse
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 10:26 pm

Exactly, Theresa. It did occur to me last night that those were the makings of french toast. I even asked Jackson if he wanted it for breakfast this morning, but he declined. Opted for last night's delivery pizza in the microwave. That was still working.
White death didn't happen!
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 10:32 pm

holy shit how many hours did it take to get the pizza delivered???

I just made shrimp & corn tacos -- man oh man were they easy and GOOD!!!
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 10:36 pm

How did you cook the shrimp for the tacos?
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 10:37 pm

it is colder than hell in chicago. i was gonna go out last night - but not sure of how or with whom i could get a ride back home, i opted not to go out because the thought of standing waiting for the El in subzero windchill turned me off off off despite the good company i would have enjoyed.

we are having DEEP DEEP dish pizza in a few minutes... delivered. it takes 45 minutes to get here. at least i don't have to go get it. brrrrr

what's your temperature? and are there icicle stalagmites everywhere?
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 10:38 pm

I'd like to see some icicle stalagMITES. I think the ICE TORNADO can make that happen.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 11:12 pm

Last time I looked, Theresa, it was 19 degrees. That's mighty cold for Memphis. And keeping me from going out and stirring up birthday trouble.
holy shit how many hours did it take to get the pizza delivered???
30 minutes...ordered it BEFORE the doom!
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 11:35 pm

put em in the skillet, Joe -- here's the complete recipe. I halved it and had plenty of leftovers. serve with margaritas!

1 T olive oil
Small white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Jalapeno, chopped (remove seeds if you can't stand the heat)
2 plum or roma tomatoes, chopped
10 oz frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 lb frozen shrimp, thawed & shelled
cumin
12 corn tortillas, heated
1/2 c green salsa
2 cups shredded cabbage or lettuce
1/2 c sour cream (I used no-fat)

Heat oil in large skillet over med-high. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, cook til onions softened, approx 5 min.

Add tomatoes and corn, cook til corn heated through, approx 5 min.

Add shrimp and a pinch of cumin, stir, and cook til shrimp are pink. Serve immediately with tortillas, cabbage, salsa, sour cream, & lime wedges.
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 11:49 pm

frozen shrimp, thawed

I don't really understand that part. Can't I just use cold raw shrimp?

This sounds really good but I think it would be better with raw tomatos added during construction, rather than cooking them. I'm also voting for cabbage over lettuce.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 12:38 am

yeah that's the same as cold raw shrimp, dorkus.

everyone I know in the south keeps a perennial supply of louisiana shrimp in their freezer, and this recipe was written as an "easy, from the freezer" recipe, i.e. not one you'd have to buy a ton of fresh ingredients for...

I used purple cabbage.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 12:40 am

putting the tomatoes in the skillet made for a kind of shrimp succotash, which was yummy. cold would be perfect in the summer, but in the winter it was nice to have a hot taco with just a few cold accoutrements.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 3:37 am

In Paris, they keep the eggs on the shelf. ON THE SHELF!
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®