Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 8:46 pm

I bought a really big eggplant earlier this week because it was cheap, but I don't know what to do with it. I should probably eat it tonight. Any suggestions?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 8:46 pm

Slice. Bread with Cornmeal. Fry.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 8:50 pm

.............and cover in spicy marinara and cheese!!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:07 pm

Curry eggplant stew! -
this veg and curry are very complimentary.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:17 pm

Try using that skinny Chinese/Asian eggplant in lieu of regular eggplant. It doesn't have that bitterness you sometimes get with reg. eggplant, so salting and draining the slices is unnecessary. I made an eggplant parmigiana with that stuff and it was out of this world. It cooks faster, too!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:22 pm

Layer it in Lasagna
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:41 pm

Grease it in olive oil and bake like a baked pototo. Split it lengthwise down the middle. Scoop the eggplant out. Mix with rice and cheese and stuff it back in the eggplant. Bake til cheese is all melted.

I don't go to the Cupboard anymore, but their eggplant casserole stuff was great. I've got the recipe somewhere. It consists of boiling eggplant cubes and then adding butter, celery, and smushed saltines and baking. I could eat my weight in that stuff.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:55 pm

choa praya has this amazing green curry dish, your choice of tofu, chicken, etc (i get the tofu, superb), it has red bell, green bell, eggplant, coconut milk, and that is all i can remember because once you taste it you forget everything you know
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 10:00 pm

last time i was at my thanh silky was raving about the eggplant, but i got a bowl of bun instead...

alisa, if you ever make that eggplant casserole, lemme know and i will bring over a fork. i love that stuff!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 10:44 pm

I used to order an entree and then the rest eggplant on the 3 and 1.
I'll alert you, Andria...and hey! maybe I'll bake it for the next Goner bakesale. :)
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 12:31 am

Eggplant has a lot of excess water. It is a good idea to salt it and put it in a strainer and let the water drip out for about an hour or two. Then wipe the salt off. Prepare by breading and baking or frying. Make some pasta. Put the pasta in an ovenable dish. Put on your favorite tomato sauce. Lay the eggplant on top. Cover all with asiago and mozzerella and bake at 375 for about 10 or 15 minutes.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 5:42 am

this works best w/ the japanese eggplant (sliced length-wise) but you can do it with the big globe ones too (only cut them in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch circles)

spread red miso paste on them - put under broiler - YUM

OR

spread pesto on them - put under broiler - YUM
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 10:49 pm

i tried grillin an eggplant on tinfoil, with butter.. didnt work so well.. texture was quite sick.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 10:58 pm

Throw it in the trash.
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 9:19 pm

cut into sticks and dip in eggwash (eggs and milk stirred together), cover with flour and salt and pepper....deep fry.

serve with bleu cheese dressing. fucking great.

also...you can't go wrong with eggplant parmegaina. (or however the holy fuck you spell it).
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 2:24 pm

larger the eggplant, more bitter it gets...
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 11:22 pm

Layer it in Lasagna

yes indeedy...but salt it and let it sweat a bit then bake it for a few minutes then make the lasagna
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®