Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:09 am

Every chef/cook I know has serious loyalties to a slew of different brands and/or types... anyone here got a fanatical devotion?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:14 am

I have a fanatical devotion to Henckels......any type. They have some low end stuff and I still like it. Even my steak knives rule.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:20 am

I'm waiting 'til I don't have roommates to buy a set of steak knives...

I can't remember the name, but I really like the 8" serrated blade chef's knife I used at my last kitchen job... It had wooden handle, and had a German-sounding name... Anyway, most all-around useful knife I've ever used.

Again, though, I'm holding off on buying that kinda shit 'til I don't live with four other people.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:10 am

wustoff and henckels are both fine by me
i bought a ceramic knife from japan a couple years ago for cutting sushi grade tuna. that ceramic knife just boggles my mind
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:13 am | Edited by: Womb Raider

I got a nice henckel chef's knife. I don't know that I'm loyal to henckel.

My favorite kitchen knife is this fucking savage instrument that I purchased at a vietnamese grocery store. It's like a caveman's knife. It is just a solid piece of steel that was curled into a handle at one end and sharpened on the blade part. You have to sharpen it pretty often but it's heavy as hell and can easily cut the head off of any animal. It gets rusty so you have to grease it up after every time you wash it. Best $5 I ever spent.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:39 pm

I got a nice (?) set for Christmas. What sort of action are the Santukos good for? I tried it for dicing and a little slicing but don't really like the feel of it and keep going back to the chef's knife.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:49 pm

I prefer Henckels. Not fanatically, but it's what I prefer. I'm trying to get in the habit of taking it to the steel before every use, but I always forget.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:50 pm | Edited by: fierydrunk

I love our Wustoff paring knife. Ryan has a Global chef's knife. He sliced about 1/4" off his fingernail and skin underneath last night. Brutal.

Our Henkels set sucks.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:52 pm

Real question--what sort of stone should we buy to sharpen them or should we send them off somewhere?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:58 pm

Real question--what sort of stone should we buy to sharpen them or should we send them off somewhere?

does your Henckels set come w/ a sharpening steel?
that's usually good for the immediate tasks on had
BUT every chef i know who works in a real kitchen (ie: restaurant) always tells me to send the knife out to get sharpened professionally. your finer houseware stores (wms sonoma et al) will probably have some referrals for you
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:59 pm

My wife always takes hers in to a local hardware store to have them sharpened. If that doesn't work, your local mall might have a knife store that will do it for you.

I wouldn't send it off to be sharpened--you should be able to find a place near you.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:00 pm

Unless you live in skaskatchewan.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:03 pm

FD,

I've had knives sharpened at two of the cutlery stores downtown. I can't remember but I think they had to send them out, but, you usually get it back in a couple days and it's under $10. I'd suggest you wrap your knife in paper if you don't have a guard, and then buy a guard (+- $4) when you pick it up.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:08 pm

The best is when, right after sharpening, you come home to find your nice knife in the bottom of the sink, under a cast iron pot, or maybe, point down in the garbage disposal. This usage causes an almost instantaneous transformation in the molecules of the knife and its true purpose is suddenly revealed - only to the knife itself - and the person responsible is soon enlightened after they go out for the evening only to return and discover the knife's secret work on their closet/bed/bookshelf/record collection.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:09 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

there is a guy at the farmer's market here who will sharpen your knives for cheap, on the spot. the trick is that the pros use a grinding wheel rather than a stone, which works much better.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:26 pm

That George's cutlery, or whatever it was called, in downtown PDX, closed. That was where all my chef friends would take their shit... Now, though, I don't know- just try one of the other small, family-owned joints. Don't go to the mall.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:29 pm

There's still Portland Cutlery on Broadway (near Koji's?). George's would do it themselves up to a year ago. They had a great going out of business sale, by the way.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:40 pm

I see Portland Cutlery everyday on the way in to work--great sign. We'll go there. We have to either buy our own stone or send it out cos it has a blunt end and the edges are not the kind that go through one of those cheaper sharpeners they have at Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table on occaision.

I heard that George's sale was incredible--too bad we were broke then.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:51 pm

If it's that bad, I would suggest sending it out the first time as knife sharpeners generally have jigs set up on their grinders at the correct angle. Stone sharpening is okay for general purpose knives, but tends to eat up a blade and its effectiveness is soley on the skill of the sharpener.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 6:21 pm

Thank you, Troll. We seriously did need that info as we have been putting it off...if we took it to Portland Cutlery, they'd likely send it off?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 7:37 pm | Edited by: The Troll

You can call them and find out. It's been over a year since I took them a knife and they didn't do it inhouse at that time. Turnaround time was very short as the sharpener was local. I also think there's a place on Division and 40th that does sharpening in the shop though it might be strictly big tool sharpening (saws and such).

You'll be surprised at how dull your knife probably is if it hasn't been sharpened in a few years. I had gotten so used to using the part next to the handle to slice tomatoes that I had stopped noticing how dull the blade was.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 9:59 pm

fiery- i would get the pro to do it, if you don't know how to sharpen and don't have practice, you can screw up a good knife.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 10:13 pm

I got a set of pretty cheap Chicago Cutlery knives at Target about a year ago. They feel good in my hand- nice and balanced. However, they've never been all that sharp. If I was to get them profesionally sharpened would they perform as well as the "pro" knives mentioned above? If not, why?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 10:27 pm

They might for a while... "Pro" knives cost what they do and hold an edge so well mostly because of the quality of the steel. But some really cheap knives are great, so you you just gotta try and see, I suppose.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 10:36 pm

I think we have been putting it off because we would have to use the Henckels chef's knife which is no comparison to the Global.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 5:59 pm

grinding wheels are shit..unless yer conan...the diff. here, from knives and sharpening stones is everything.. evry knife is diff. and every stone is diff. 3 groups 1.asian- gelstain, shun, global etc. most sharpen 1 side of blade which gives a superior edge. easier to keep sharp, but. there is a different technique in using these knives to keep them sharp..more of just a downward motion..2.french knives sabatier etc, are long and slender don't have much rockin' action so you have to use these much like japanese knives on vegtables, unless butchering up a suckling pig on your day off.not many french knife makers out there these days...3.german knives.. this is your henckel wustoff f.dick, all that shit. there is a line of classic henckels that culinary kids buy...that truly is worth the money.. very simple knives to use and maintain but hard to keep a true edge if you don't know what the fuck you are doing.. the rest o these german knives are soo mass produced it's garbage... the ol' saying you get what you pay for ...crap...every knife is made for a diff. task.. but 1 knife is enuff when it's your favourit and it's sharp...i go to tj max, they always have good closeout knives and other weird shit brulee torches for when you wanna pop that corn. when you buy a knife high carbon steel/stainless/domascus'the best'.make sure you get the correct stone to sharpen it with.. like global uses ceramic stones.. it gets really expensive....my fav.. set knives are masahiro or the new f dick line they are inexpensive and very easy to maintain.. more of a western edge too for lay people... i buy my knives from the knife merchant .com.. cuz he's the shit ..hope it helps
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 7:55 pm

So wait, if we want our Global sharpened right, do we need to send it somewhere where we KNOW they will use a ceramic stone? It is so fucked right now. I am thinking of buying a new one anyway. Tax return is in.
Posted: Feb 22, 2006 10:47 pm

CUTCO. (TM)
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®