Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 10:38 pm

Fry some bacon in a frying pan or you can bake it. I actually like to bake my bacon but that's another story. Save drippings.

While the bacon is frying, grate a cup of fresh parm and start your water a-boiling.

Crack two eggs open, mix with cheese

Drop your pasta in--Linguine is perfect for this.

Chop your bacon into little bits after it's done cooking.

Toss pasta with cheese mixture, add your bacon.

Pour bacon drippings over pasta.

Inhale.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 11:55 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

I love pasta a la carbonara.

almost too rich for me, and I have a pretty high threshold for richness. I usually use cream instead of eggs.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 12:12 am

and i usually use penne rigate
linguine, spaghetti and fettucine - i am too sloppy to eat long noodles like that.

damn, i'm hungry for that now!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 12:20 am

in Austin there's a place on 5th street (I cant remember the name) that prepares it tableside and it is friggin awesome..great great dish.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 12:22 am

So the egg is uncooked? Did I miss something?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 12:52 am

the egg is basically coddled w/ the residual heat of the pasta

i too use cream rather than eggs. if you aren't careful, you can end up scrambling the eggs
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 1:00 am

How much cream with 1 cup parm do you use?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 1:12 am

Dudes...

Cream AND eggs.

I usually don't have cream around, though, so just stick to eggs. Lots of black pepper is key, too.

Another way is to skip the egg-mixing/cream thing altogether, and when you plate the pasta, just set a coddled egg yolk right on top. THE BOMB!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 1:37 am

Pour bacon drippings over pasta.

How many of you do this? Even being a bacon junkie, it just don't sound right.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 2:13 am

Man, Joe, yous gotta get with the program.

I use bacon at every opportunity I get... we even save the bacon grease in a little jar by the stove and use it to season our cast iron.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 2:21 am

How many of you do this? Even being a bacon junkie, it just don't sound right.

Hmmm. Sounds like someone needs his bacon junkie license revoked for awhile until he learns a thing or two.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 2:46 am

Also, keep in mind if you bake the bacon (line a cookie sheet with foil, bake at 350 until it's done) it makes a lot less grease. This is the way I do it, and I get less than a teaspoon of grease.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 2:51 am

when you make this dish how do you like the bacon? I prefer it limp in a carbonara.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 2:52 am

Also, keep in mind if you bake the bacon (line a cookie sheet with foil, bake at 350 until it's done) it makes a lot less grease. This is the way I do it, and I get less than a teaspoon of grease.

See? You just needed to not be so vague. I was thinking of frying it and pouring that half a cup in the sauce. I'm pretty sure that would ruin it's consistency. I'll add three teaspoons of bacon grease to that suace though. That sounds about right. Don't you lay a fucking finger on my bacon junkie license. Don't even look at it!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 2:59 am

I've never baked bacon before. How long does it take until it's medium crispy?

Geez, look at me talking about cooking bacon. My orthodox Jewish grandparents are spinning in their graves!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 4:12 am

well, i often nix the eggs because i rarely have them around the house and i'm often too lazy to go out just for one ingredient. i use extra cream and parm. because i always have plenty of both of those
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 12:32 pm

I don't like bacon when it's too crispy. Hence the baking. I'd say 20-25 minutes in a 350 oven. It's not super cripsy when I chop it up but it's not too limp. I pull the bacon out before it gets too brown.

Also, depending on what level of Bacon Junkie you are, I would suggest putting in at least five to seven strips of bacon for every two servings you make. We only had four strips when I made this last night, and it wasn't quite enough. Of course, if you're Bazooka Joe, you should add somewhere between seventeen and twenty-nine strips.

Also, why does this not surprise me?

http://mgrsti5395q.seamlesstech.biz/Merchant/2005TGP/BOM%20pages/bom.h tml
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 3:57 pm

y'all ever had Neuske's bacon? all of the northern wisconsin / green bay folks should know what I'm talking about. best bacon ever. I actually found some gourmet wine & cheese store here that stocks it, it's $9/lb or something, which seems like a bargain to me. I was so excited when I found it.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:04 pm

http://mgrsti5395q.seamlesstech.biz/Merchant/2005TGP/BOM%20pages/bom.h tml

That's the greatest!!
Sponsors anyone?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:22 pm

Neuske's bacon is THE SHIT! Hand's down world's best bacon! I've been singing the praises of this shit since I first had it 4 years ago- it is unreal.

Bazooka Joe- this is for you:

http://www.mathlete.com/portfolio/wakeNbacon.php
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:29 pm

"No one likes to wake up, especially by an alarm. This clock gently wakes you up with the mouthwatering aroma of bacon, just like waking up on a Sunday morning to the smell of Mom cooking breakfast. Unless you're Jewish."

HAHA! My moms a Jew for Jesus and we always ate pig!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:30 pm

HAHA! You're a bacon alarm clock!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:34 pm

The first time I had Neuske's was like 7 years ago at my aunt's house in Wisconsin. and she would have to drive like an hour to Wausau to get the stuff. it was one of the best things I'd ever tasted, and I never thought I'd be able to score it again, until one day I saw it in a store here. I guess you can get it all over the country now.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:37 pm

Yeah- shit's delicious. You can get it in specialty meat places out here- I've never seen in the regular grocery store, though.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:47 pm

Well, what the fuck do you do with it then?
How is it served or cooked?
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 5:48 pm

Stick it in Bazooka Joe's alarm clock!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 7:11 pm

"No one likes to wake up, especially by an alarm. This clock gently wakes you up with the mouthwatering aroma of bacon, just like waking up on a Sunday morning to the smell of Mom cooking breakfast. Unless you're Jewish."

I grew up in a Kosher home and believe me, I would've loved nothing more than to wake up to the smell of bacon. I was like 29 years old before I ate my first pork chop. I think I've made up for my lack of youthful pork intake in the last few years, though. If I cook bacon now, I'm making the whole damn package, even if it's some institutional-sized pack from Costco.

Jew for Jesus

Feh! You mean, Presbyterian?
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 10:37 pm

I'm making carbonara tonight and I can't wait! Hooray for bacon drippin's.
Posted: Feb 19, 2006 1:43 am

Burp! That was really really good. I went for an egg and cream combination with equal parts romano and parm, linguine, butter to toss the noodles in pre-sauce, and 5 strips of bacon. I wound up using about two or three tablespoons of the bacon grease and I seasoned it post-costruction with lots of black pepper. Thanks for the idea! I'll be making it again and again.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 3:04 pm

Top scientific tip - don't mix your pepper & salt into the whipped eggs until just before they hit the pan, cos adding the spices causes the white/yolk to start separating again, and will result in shitty foodage! There, that's some good advice, innit?
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 4:00 pm

Or you could add 'em after the sauce has been folded in to the pasta like I did. You don't add it into the sauce itself! Jeez dude...
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 6:27 pm

Zing!

You know, I'll have to try this new "make the sauce and mix everything together before-hand" method. Usually I just crack a couple of eggs in the pot after I drain the pasta, stir everything up, then add the cheese, a lil' cream, pepper, etc.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®