Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Memphis Pulled Pork & Gus's Fried Chicken
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 4:35 pm

2 memphis questions. me and the boys will travellin through memphis soon i was wonderin who gots the best pulled pork sammiches? also, how far out of town is gus's? i'll be comin from north of the city so was wonderin if its someplace i can stop before i gets to the city or someplace i gotta try to make a special trip for.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 5:05 pm

It is about the chopped pork sandwiches at Payne's on Lamar...best in the world.

The original Gus' is North of Memphis in Mason, correct? Someone else help out from here (migraine continues).
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 5:16 pm

yeah, i always hear about paynes but just wanna be sure. always best to check with those in the know first to get confirmation.

i think gus's is in mason but if thats north of the city thats great.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 5:28 pm

Mason is east. But there's a Gus's downtown on Front St. now.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 5:38 pm

i thought it might be east. the downtown one cant be as good as the outta town one can it? i went to the original gus years ago and haven't had anything as good since.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 5:45 pm

I haven't been to the original one since it burned down, so I don't know if it's the same. It seems to me the downtown location has better sides and they got beer too. but yes, I wouldn't say the chicken blew my mind.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 7:50 pm

the best part about the old gus's was how the house was lower at one end
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 7:50 pm

I just ate a Bacon Cheesey Angus Burger! Burger King Rocks!
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 7:51 pm

The Burgr King On Union!
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 7:53 pm

Bugger King
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 8:32 pm

I didn't even know the old one burnt down--no surprise though!!!
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 8:37 pm

Are you coming down 55 North? If you are taking Hwy 51, you can cut SE at Covington on Hwy 14 and you'll run right into Mason on Hwy 70. If you are taking I-55 it makes more sense to take 240-N to 385 in Millington and cut over to Hwy 70.

The joy of Mapquest.
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 6:08 am

Bitties at the BK lounge......
Posted: Feb 18, 2006 4:53 am

We were in Memphis this past summer and everything closed at 5PM. What's up with that?? I missed out on alot of stuff - mostly the local BBQ dumps - we wanted to eat.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 7:33 am

The old Gus's in Mason served beer at one time or another. The replacement doesn't? I suppose you could go on the backside of town and have a beer in one of them joints if they haven't burned down too.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 2:58 pm

Or go to Bozo's BBQ in Mason, that's kool, too ... Bit whitebread, tho' ...

DevilDog "BBQ dumps" - watch yer mouf, son ...
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 4:40 pm

Yeah, I never to Bozo's because I heard the same thing. It's silly, though because if the food's good, it doesn't matter who makes it. The place looked kinda neat but I never heard anyone praising the food, either.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 5:25 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

but yes, I wouldn't say the chicken blew my mind.

Me neither. I think people fetishize it the same way they do PBR. It's good, but it's not a big deal.

But a Payne's chopped with a light serving of hot sauce and Payne's slaw, now THAT is vital for a Memphis dining experience. Every person I've brought there second guessed me as we drove through the hood, but afterward became forever endebted to me for sharing the magic.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 6:04 pm

there's beer at both Gus' locations. big, quart-sized beers, on down to puny 12 oz beers.
Posted: Feb 21, 2006 6:12 am

If you go to Mason to Gus's call first to make sure they have chicken or they may have a few thighs left before they close hours early because they ran out of chicken.The women there have figured out if they only bring so much then they get to leave work hours early.Out of the last 6 visits I could only buy thighs 3 times,twice they closed hours early and only once did they have all parts of the chicken.This was early afternoon most times.I never had that problem in almost 25 years of going there until the last few years.Too many tourists have gone to there head.Downtown gus's sucks.Jackson was decent but they moved.The grocery store down the road had chicken that freinds mistook for Gus's when I gave them some.Bozo's is way overated.I got food poisining last time and have not been back.
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 5:02 pm

so the verdict:

payne's without hesitation.

both gus's have beer. skip downtown? calling ahead is a smooth call.

but for the record, i dont think PBR is that great but i really did enjoy that gus's (mason) fried bird. i've been lots o' places with lots o' fried chicken and really thought gus had some ill shit. i was starving when i ate it and the sides were so so but the chicken was great.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®