Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 11:09 pm

Besides sounding like a venereal disease, what is this stuff good for? I see it in the Juice section of the Grocery store...
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 11:18 pm

Bloody Marys.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 11:21 pm

Caesars!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 1:41 pm

what is this stuff good for?

Old people...
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:17 pm

There is NO acceptable substitute for Mott's Clamato in the construction of a Bloody Caesar. Trust me. You can tweak the rim mix, alter the Worcestershire, hot sauce, cracked pepper to taste, but take out the Clamato and it's just a Bloody _ _ _ _.
And don't start me to talking about mixed drinks in bars, made from those guns.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:22 pm

There is NO acceptable substitute for Mott's Clamato in the construction of a Bloody Caesar.

Yes there is. It's called FRESH CLAM JUICE.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:25 pm

oh, snap!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:27 pm

that is some yankee shit though. clam juice, really? I'm weary. I've never even heard of a Caesar before.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:29 pm

It's not yankee. I had it in Mexico!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:30 pm

Mexicans are yankees.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:30 pm

clam juice

Are we still talking about the same thing?
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:31 pm

I really like Clam Juice. The wife's linguine w/clams is hard to fuck with.
I really like tomato juice, too.

I just never thought these two great tastes would taste great together...
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:31 pm

and research tells me that Clamato is generally a product of canadian origins.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:36 pm | Edited by: Womb Raider

Clamato
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clamato is a trademark of the Mott's company which denotes a beverage made primarily of reconstituted tomato juice concentrate and reconstituted dried clam broth, with a dash of high fructose corn syrup, and USDA Red 40 to maintain a natural tomato colour. It is also referred to (inaccurately) as clamato juice. Clamato was invented in 1969 in California.

Clamato is a popular mixer for mass-market American and Canadian beer. It is also used as a base for the alcoholic Caesar, a vodka cocktail invented in Alberta and commonly regarded as the national cocktail of Canada. While the original Caesar, invented the year Duffy-Mott introduced Clamato, was made with tomato juice and mashed clams, Clamato is now the common base for the drink. The Caesar has become so popular that Mott's now markets multiple varieties of pre-mixed Caesars in 341 ml (12-ounce) bottles.

Generic tomato-clam beverages
The success of Clamato has led to the introduction of several imitation beverages, usually marketed as tomato-clam cocktail. The generic beverages are often considerably cheaper than Clamato and have cut into Mott's market share. Many people do not distinguish between Mott's product and those of its competitors and will refer to any tomato-clam beverage as clamato, thus threatening Mott's trademark.

Mott's has taken steps to protect its trademark, running print, radio and television advertisements which attempt to distinguish Mott's Clamato from generic tomato-clam beverages.

Cultural significance
Clamato may be among the most controversial of American beverages. Only kraut juice is more polarizing. Those who support Clamato appreciate its complex, savoury and unexpectedly sweet flavour, especially as a cocktail mixer. Those who revile it may have a horror of clams and other shellfish (a common condition in mid-America), a memory of the Bass-o-Matic mock-infomercial on Saturday Night Live or may find in it a locus of cognitive dissonance: it is labelled as a beverage, in its virtually uncontested category of 'Seafood Blends', but falls more easily into the category of 'soup.' Chicken or beef broth cocktails, no matter how much tomato juice were involved, would no doubt meet with similar suspicion.

Widely known as a drink that "nobody likes", Clamato in fact commands an underground following akin to White Castle's, or that which accrues to pork rinds. According to the Mott's company, its greatest popularity is among Hispanics, toward whom, after a disastrous misstep in the 1990s, most of the product's advertising is now devoted. Mott's discovered that Dominicans enjoy it as a mixer with beer. Clamato inherits from its clam broth component a folk reputation as an aphrodisiac.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:44 pm

now that I can get behind!
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 5:45 pm

Mexicans are yankees.

But they pronounce it "Jankees."
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 8:00 pm

according to the billboards en espanol that are up in my neighborhood, you can drink it mixed with tequila (hmmm?) or beer (ewww!)
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 8:06 pm

Clam juice, tomato juice, lime juice, and Tecate (or other Mexi-beer) are the ingredients for a great drink called a Chavela. They're popular in Mexican coastal communities, especially in Baja. They're usually served with a shrimp cocktail-style shrimp on the edge of the mug as a garnish. They're delicious. Really.
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 9:00 pm

shit is fucking rad for bloody marys. holy hell.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 1:03 am

One part clamato, one part (good)vodka, a drop of hot sauce, and a lime wedge!
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 1:04 am

Beefamato is great without the alcohol
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 5:25 pm

from famouscanadians.net:

Walter Chell

Inventor of the (Bloody) Caesar

Born: Montenegro
Died: 1997 in Toronto, Ontario

In 1969, while working for the Westin Hotel chain in Calgary, Walter Chell was asked to develop an original drink to celebrate the opening of a new Italian restaurant. He experimented for three months, eventually settling on a mixture of hand-mashed clams, tomato juice, vodka, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Tossing in a celery stick for a garnish, Chell called the drink a Bloody Caesar.

Later, the Mott Company developed its "clamato" juice and, after an initial dispute, hired Chell to consult and promote the product. He left the country for a while to work in South Africa but returned to Canada where he was employed at the Hotel Toronto. Chell retired in 1990 and died in 1997.

Additional trivia:

The Caesar is considered Canada's national drink.

Caesar recipe:

1 oz Vodka
Clamato juice
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
1 dash Tabasco sauce
Salt
Pepper

Celery salt
Celery stick

Rim a tall glass with celery salt and fill with ice. Add vodka, fill glass with Clamato juice, and add Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, salt, and pepper. Garnish with a celery stick, and enjoy!

Sources include:

Conacher, Duff. More Canada Firsts. Toronto: McClelland & Stewart Inc., 1999.

Colombo, John Robert. 1000 Questions About Canada. Toronto: Dundurn Press, 2001.

and yes Joe, of course FRESH CLAM JUICE (and tomato and lime...) trumps mix. My point was related to drinking in bars. All I ask is that they at least serve Mott's - at home, it's all top shelf.
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 7:59 pm

You goyya be a:1)bartender that does this stupid shit all te time,2)Some kinda Goddamed Faggot, 3)works at a gay bar .
Posted: Feb 15, 2006 8:00 pm

I'm Drunk!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 7:51 am

mexican seafood cocktail

1.5 cups Calmato or 1 cup tomato + 1/2 cup bottles clam juice
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 t hot sauce
1 t salt
1/2 cup chopped white onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 firm avacado cut into small chunks
1/2 lb crab meat
1/4 lb baby cooked srimps

accompaniment - oyster crackers or saltines
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 9:41 am

Dudes-

I love me some oysters, but I gotta say, I'm not so keen on the idea of oysters in my cocktails. I mean, I've never tried Clamato, but it sounds kinda awesome- like something I could totally get into.

But the idea of MASHED UP OYSTERS is not something I'm entirely cool with. Especially in beverage form.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 7:45 am

This very fucking cool Mexican fellah I once worked with at a liquor store saved me from a terrible hangover by making a few of them clamato/tecate/lime dealies throughout the morning. It went down well and stayed, but I haven't had one since.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 7:44 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Clamato is the plague. The Canadians have to put their own cultural spin on many things, but this time, they are messing with perfection: a spicy Bloody Mary after a hard-charging night of drunken obliteration. They call bathrooms washrooms, Indians Natives, and pronounce multi-syllabic words in a prissy manner (remember Peter Jennings?).

We don't need no stinkin' Caesars unless they include Billy Childish.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 11:46 pm

I really like Caesars, but I think Bloody Bulls are even better.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®