Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Goner Message Board / Food & Drink / Tuna sandwiches
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:05 pm

So in a perfect world I'd have tuna salad every single day, and made from fresh grilled marinated tuna steak. But there's definately something good to be said for opening a can of Chicken of the Sea (albacore in water) and adding mayo. Some people go for additions of relish, mustard, or harld boiled egg. I like my tuna salad plain, but sometimes I like to go for a bit of chopped celery. On the sandwich itself I'm into adding a slice of chedder cheese, tomato, sprouts, and avocado. I love it on sour dough or wheat bread best. How do you eat your tuna salad?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:08 pm

The best tuna salad is made with the Italian cans of tuna packed in olive oil...holy moley!!!!!! I amke a Lebanese version with tahini and pine nuts...so delicious.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:11 pm

a shot of Sriracha hot sauce or a bit of adobo from a can of chipotles sometimes finds it's way into mine with the mayo.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:18 pm

I like to mix in mustard, olives, or capers... A touch of Worcteshire (sp?) is another favorite addition.

If I'm making it fancy- home-made aioli, capers, and tarragon...

The Lebanese version sounds tasty, too.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:18 pm

Italian cans of tuna

Is it albacore?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:19 pm

i too like the tuna canned by italians in olive oil
i add lemon juice, capers, sometimes some dijon mustard and that's about it.

i like it on sourdough bread

when i use regular old tuna - i buy bumble bee, i used to like it in water but now i prefer it in oil - i drain it, add lemon juice or lime juice, dill weed, the slightest hint of thinly chopped celery - sometimes i add a little tiny bit of mayo

again - on sourdough bread. tomato slice is good on a sammich, as is avocado
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:20 pm

i used to like it in water but now i prefer it in oil

How come?
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:31 pm

i used to like it in water but now i prefer it in oil

How come?

i think maybe my taste buds changed. also - it seems less dry when its packed in oil.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 6:58 pm

In my opinion, the olive oil adds more taste as well as making the tuna not dry. However, if you are adding mayo it doesn't really matter too much. I like to add fresh garlic and basil to the tuna...and I use roma tomato, avacodo, spinach, and mayo for the sandwich on a honey wheat bagel.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:03 pm

Also...this was hard for me to believe until I tried it but tuna can be used in spaghetti if you don't have ground beef. The tuna simply adds texture and not really any taste. I prefer it in vodka sauce.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:29 pm

The olive oil just adds this nice texture that isn't like the typical American can of tuna in oil at all. It also has a nice taste. I think the tuna is indeed albacore, but I could be wrong. We found a place that sells the cans for about $4, but often they are very expensive. The brand we buy is Spanish not Italian, but hey...they are good with food there too!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:30 pm

Joe, I'll send the Lebanese version...unless anyone here is interested and then I will post it. It is pretty common sense...shallots or garlic, lemon juice, tahini, pine nuts, undrained olive oil tuna.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:33 pm

you know what's even better than tuna salad? sardine salad! mash up sardines with lemon juice and minced onion! serve on toast! killer!
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:35 pm

Even better is making your own mayo and adding a dash of cayenne pepper.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:35 pm

I had sardines with tomato sauce served on toast. It was kinda like tuna, but it wasn't nearly as good. In fact, I'm positive I'll never eat it again.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 7:42 pm

sardine salad! mash up sardines with lemon juice and minced onion! serve on toast! killer!

This is the shit. I make mine with mustard too. A+
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:12 pm | Edited by: Whiskey Bent

It's official, things I don't have to try to KNOW they're disgusting:

Sardines
Buttermilk
Pickled pigs feet
...and I ACCIDENTALLY ate anchovies on this great-looking pizza my roommate had, it was fucking gross ....and I KNEW I never wanted to try that shit -- but at least I was right.

I'm sure there's more....
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:18 pm

Oh Sherry!

Anchovies are heavenly on pizza! Esp. one with fresh tomato sauce, basil and fresh mozz. YUM.

And sardines, I love them, but I grew up with a grandmother expecting me to eat them with saltines as a regular snack, so I was used to them by age 3. I used to love using that key to open the tin (I am old).
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:29 pm | Edited by: Whiskey Bent

I watched my Mom and her sisters eat all that shit above -- and she let me open the cans too......it was pretty-neat as a kiddo.....I guess it's a pull-off lid thing-y now?

My mother would pour a glass of buttermilk, crumble-up cornbread to put in it and add salt and pepper......uuuhhh, yeah....she grossed me out.

I guess I could add TRIPE to the list -- menudo can have a very nice flavor, but the texture of that shit is as gross as octopus texture.

Sorry, BJ, I'm diverting the tuna-talk.

Ok, I like tuna with 4000 things added to it....especially adding potato chips on top of the bed of tuna, just before I add the other slice of bread and CRUNCH it all down. Mmm-mmm.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 8:35 pm

some things i enjoy depending on mood:

spicy mustard
jalapenos
cilantro
onions
louisiana hot sauce
lots of black pepper

on sourdough is splendid.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:08 pm

That buttermilk drink sounds rank.

Yeah, it is just the sardine pop top now. I bought some smoked oysters recently that had a key though and I flipped out. So cool! I should have checked the date on them though.
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 9:56 pm

i like my tuna salad on flatbread with cheese on top melted...
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:12 pm

if you hate sardines - its the canned ones right?

i had some EXCELLENT fresh sardines in spain - in asturia
they are not small as in teeny tiny - they are small fish but maybe 5" long - i had them grilled, whole. DELICIOUS. give those sardines another chance
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 10:59 pm

things I don't have to try to KNOW they're disgusting
Posted: Feb 13, 2006 11:04 pm

Also...this was hard for me to believe until I tried it but tuna can be used in spaghetti

its a very popular sauce in Italy - tonnato sauce
i too thought it was a little odd, but i had it and didn't know it was tuna until they named the sauce. made the sauce really rich and robust
Posted: Feb 14, 2006 3:25 am | Edited by: hollis brown

i hook up a can of the olive oil packed tuna with...

a nice dijon mustard
minced shallots
a little sherry vinaigrette
ground peppercorns
and most importantly, some chopped and seeded HOT cherry peppers.

its so good.

edit: even more important. no mayo!
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 2:57 pm

pickels in tuna w/ mayo is delicious! on soft wheat bread....

a good summertime tuna dish:
tuna
little shrimps
avacado
chopped tomato, onion, cilantro
lime juice
salt and pepper
mix it together and eat on tostadas or w/ chips. it's like a tuna salsa.

and speaking of sardines: one time i was travelling mexico with my aunt, uncle and cousins... we got really lost and ended up pulling over at an abandoned gas station and my aunt made mayo and sardine sandwhiches on white bread. ugh, it was disgusting. i opted not to eat. finally we found our way to vera cruz and i saw the golden beacon of BURGER KING. it never tasted so good....
Posted: Feb 16, 2006 10:46 pm

I put apples, sweet pickles, and eggs and mayo. That's it. Cuz grapes and walnuts would be gross.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 12:05 am

I'm pretty shocked at the exotic permutations in this thread. I've only ever done it like ma did...tuna in oil, sweet relish (well, now I use dill cause I hate sweet pickles), chopped up eggs, chopped up celery, lots of mayo, salt and pepper.
I also like to open the can, spread two pieces of rye bread with (lots of) mayo, and dump as much of the can of tuna I can get on the bread.

Also, there's nothing like tuna salad and a cold glass of milk. Milk.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 12:10 am

Also, "tuna melt" is really strange.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 12:46 am

Alisa, I think we're breaking up...

tuna melts are AWESOME!
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 12:54 am

Mmmmmm, tuna melt...

Yeah, tuna slad requires a cold glass of milk. I love milk so much but if I drink too much of it I'l rip so many rank farts and I might crap myself.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 1:11 am

Oh no, Joe! I'll learn to like it...
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 1:33 am

Alright, I 'spose I can live with that.

Although, I've never once considered drinking milk with tuna... I usually reserve my milk intake for cookies or chocolate cake. I guess I'll have to take the plunge, esp. if it's got the endorsement of Alisa AND Bazooka Joe.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 1:37 am

Word is born, god
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 1:39 am

I thought it was "Word is born, SON"? But I'm not from NY.
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 2:35 am

What is 'Word is born'??? Not "Word is Bond"?????

Wha?
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 2:40 am

"Word is born" is what "word is bond" became. Damn, I though you was a head???
Posted: Feb 17, 2006 2:41 am

Posted: Feb 20, 2006 9:41 pm | Edited by: Uptight White

Anchovies are heavenly on pizza! Esp. one with fresh tomato sauce, basil and fresh mozz. YUM

This will do nothing for the non-believers, but anchovies added to pizza AFTER it comes out of the oven are wonderful. The recooking and embedding of fishy flavor in the za is overpowering, but laying those oily, bony fishies on a slice right after it gets out of the oven is the ticket. Same with fresh cut jalapeno on Spinach pizzas and pesto pies.
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 10:08 pm

While I love anchovies cooked and uncooked on pizza, fresh jalapeno slices will not cross these lips as a garnish. They must be seeded and diced to oblivion...and preferably in a salsa.
Posted: Apr 27, 2006 4:05 am | Edited by: Joe Perry

Anybody here like sailfish?
Posted: Apr 27, 2006 5:28 pm

Never had it. Is it fantastic? I love swordfish steaks alot. It's gotta abe almost idientical meat, right? That stuff can make some killer salad.
Posted: Apr 27, 2006 5:30 pm

From a can with mayo and crackers and relish w. tomato on toasted iron kids bread. I wish my momma would fix me supper every day!
Posted: May 5, 2006 2:36 am

the asian market on cleveland has a hot food bar now, they had some good tuna salad sandwich type things..
Posted: May 5, 2006 2:51 am

The asian market on cleveland also had that great tofu--I think it was actually made in Houston!!!! It was just a random sized block wrapped in plastic wrap--do they still sell this?
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®