Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:39 am

you gotta read this from today's (well, Wednesday's) NY Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/08/dining/08choc.html?_r=1&incamp=artic le_popular_3&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all

i'm a chocophile. i am totally in love w/ venezuelan single bean dark chocolate bars....

what freaks me out is that hershey bought sharfen berger. i hope they leave it alone - and just give it better distro...
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:08 am

I loves me some chocolate.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 10:32 am

when i have a few extra quarters..i get a Starbucks hot choc with whipped cream..just a bum in a coffee shop
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 3:04 pm

you haven't had hot chocolate until you've had the kind w/ cayenne or other hot pepper

start w/ jacques torres if you can get someone to buy you a cup (maybe $4?)
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:46 pm

you haven't had hot chocolate until you've had the kind w/ cayenne or other hot pepper

had some of a voges bar like that recently. also had cinamon in it. so delicious!! they also make one with ginger (and i want to say a hint of wasabi) that i havent tried. i;m wary but curious, ever had it?
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:18 pm

I've had hot pepper chocolate from Moonstruck. Pretty good. They recently opened a Moonstruck in Chicago.. got to get over there sometime.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:26 pm

There's a fancy-chocolate revolution happening in Portland right now. It seems like every week you read about some new choco "boutique" opening up.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 8:52 pm

They recently opened a Moonstruck in Chicago
Thats around the corner from where I am right now. MMMM Lunch!
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 12:29 am

i've had just about all the vosges confections. i have to say, they are marvelous. try them - the wasabi is not as scary as it sounds.

the cheese/chocolate combo however - i'm not going near that
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 2:15 am

The corner shop a few blocks from our house carries Vosges - as I type this I am savoring a Barcelona Bar - chocolate w/ almonds and sea salt. Holy shit - I don't think I can stand to eat lesser chocolate again. I think I just found my equivalent of Mark's "beer budget"

I saw the wasabi and ginger one. Not being a fan of wasabi, should I even bother?
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 2:36 am

i've had just about all the vosges confections. i have to say, they are marvelous. try them - the wasabi is not as scary as it sounds.

Didja try the bacon?

chocolate w/ almonds and sea salt

Motherfuck yes!

I saw the wasabi and ginger one. Not being a fan of wasabi, should I even bother?

Lots of other high end choco makers make it with just crystalized ginger. I have a nice one by Choco-Love going right now...magical.
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 2:54 am

well I am interested in the woolloomollo flavor also - roasted and slated macadamia nuts and indonesian coconut

also gonna try the bacon one if'n I can find it

the store has tons fo other fancified looking brands that I will hopefully try out too....
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 6:14 am

sea salt on dark chocolate is the best... there's something about it that defies description
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 8:31 am

there's something about it that defies description

its called sea salt on dark chocolate...you can pretty much combine the taste in your brain...like peanut butter and meth, or something, some shit, whatever...
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 2:35 pm

man i wonder if there's any place around here in memphis that has fancy chocolate stuffs like that. i am dying to try some of these crazy combos. i lurrrrrrrrrv chocolate. especially dark. and especially now that i got my sweet tooth back again.

any of you know any place that would have stuffs like that here in town??? i'm willing to accept going to germantown if i absolutely have to.
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 2:54 pm

Killer hot chocolate recipe

5 pints of LIGHT CREAM or 1/2 & 1/2.
12 Hershey candy bars.

Slowly heat cream on stove, break candy bars in small pieces and slowly add to warm cream. Stir until melted candy is fully mixed.

Serve ASAP and try not to go into a coma.
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 3:38 pm

Elle - I did a search on their site for retailers. It's a toss up between Nashville and Eureka springs for the closest. But then again the store where we bought it wasn't on the retailers list so maybe there is some hoity toity place at saddle creek or laurelwood that carries it.
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 3:39 pm

Golightly - that sounds amazing, but I'm gonna say that if you melted Vosges bars into that hot chocolate, you'd die on the spot it would be so good. Yes, it's that good. And worth every penny of the $6.69 it cost!
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 4:05 pm

memphis that has fancy chocolate
whole foods/wild oats
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 4:18 pm

but I'm gonna say that if you melted Vosges bars into that hot chocolate, you'd die on the spot it would be so good.

I bet it would be...I did the Hersheys recipe a couple of years ago and it rocked...I'm gonna see if I can find some Vosges here in Memphis.

and I wonder why I weigh 240 pounds....
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 4:45 pm

Vosges bars into that hot chocolate,
Why wouuld you, they make "Haute chocolate" Punny, and snobby. I like it!

I have been working on making catalan style hot chocolate. It is think as mud and dark as a moor. When I had it there, the sugar cam on the side. It was brilliant
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 4:47 pm

I've been rocking some mexican hot chocolate lately. There are several brands, all of them pretty good. Semi sweet chocolate witha lot of cinamon.
Posted: Dec 7, 2007 11:00 pm

i went to sultans market last night and they now have a full counter of lesbianese/middle eastern confections. looked tasty but i didn't get any. thought they might be chock full of C4 or something.
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 1:32 am

I have been working on making catalan style hot chocolate. It is think as mud and dark as a moor. When I had it there, the sugar cam on the side. It was brilliant

Lordy...and you get those little mini-churros to dip in it...is there anyplace finer than Barcelona?
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 2:30 am

Barcelona

I think I might need to go there.
Posted: Dec 8, 2007 4:02 pm

Wfey's been getting those big Lindt milk chocolate and white chocolate bars lately. Nice.
Posted: Dec 9, 2007 2:16 pm

.is there anyplace finer than Barcelona?
none
Posted: Dec 9, 2007 11:29 pm

i like the lindt white chocolate bars with the coconut flakes in it. i used that to make white chocolate coconut creme brulee once and it was pretty damn killer.

i found some dark chocolate with cayenne pepper and cinnamon in it at target. it was one of the choxie bars called "ceylon spices". anyway, i like it a lot. it was really interesting the way the tastes all melded together. next up is the sea salt and almond one they have.
Posted: Dec 13, 2007 1:23 am

speaking of coconut flakes - we tried another flavor of vosges tonight - the millionaire loves it, i'm not sure.

it's called the Naga Bar - sweet Indian curry powder, coconut flakes, deep milk chocolate.

the chocolate is wonderful, but i am getting used to the curry flavor.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 8:14 pm

ok - our neighborhood store finally got the bacon bars in. WOW. So good, but even more expensive than the barcelona, which remains my favorite.

We've also now tried the kalamata olive and white chocolate - meh. the boy jr millionaire like it, but even his sister, the self proclaimed olive lover didnt' like it that much.
Posted: Jan 7, 2008 8:40 pm

barcelona, which remains my favorite.

pffft....the bacon bar probably tastes better after coming out in poop form. I like the barcelona bar fine, but BETTER than the bacon bar? NO WAY.
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 3:06 am

you're a poop form
Posted: Jan 8, 2008 3:31 am

Chocolate is the new cupcake.
Posted: Jan 10, 2008 6:21 am

valrhona makes an excellent big bar of chocolate too

i like the lindts that are filled with pistachio, or orange or raspberry... their dark chocolates (70% cocoa) are great too... i wish they would do darks filled with orange....

i am in NY this month - so i'm hitting my fave chocolate boutiques:
leonidas (belgian), richard (french), maison du chocolat (french)

shit.... JAHNA - if you are reading this, here's a storm warning... i'm gonna ask you to hit recchiutti while you're in the bay area....
Posted: Jul 24, 2008 3:05 pm

new vosges to try

It's running neck and neck with the Barcelona bar for me

Woolloomooloo Bar - roasted and salted Mac nuts, indonesian coconut, hemp seeds and deep milk chocolate. YUM
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 3:18 pm

i bought some seriously disappointing lindt lindor truffles at lunch today. :(

i can't wait until it cools down so i can start having hot chocolate again. corner cafe in soho has a really delicious belgian hot chocolate. mmm.
Posted: Aug 7, 2008 6:27 pm

seriously disappointing lindt lindor truffles

i wish you had consulted me before this unfortunate purchase; i would have told you to run away from them!

totally worth the money truffles in NYC:
leonidas
richart (and they are also the prettiest)
la maison du chocolate and of course
vosges
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®