Goner Message Board
 | Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics | Manual |
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 7:43 pm

We made pizzas yesterday and while the sauce tasted way way way great, it watered up a bit after baking. What can be done about that?
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 7:59 pm

what's the ratio of tomato paste to other liquids?
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 8:19 pm

I will have to get back to you--Ryan made it.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 9:05 pm

If you haven't, you should pre-cook toppings, especially vegetables, before adding them to the pie. Also, if you use mozzarella, you should press it out slightly before grading. If you use tomatoes for your sauce, try using crushed can tomatoes and adding paste as these have less water. A nice alternative to sauce is fine oil.
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 9:07 pm

I will fwd the suggestions on. I am pretty sure the watery ness was coming from the tomato sauce, but maybe it was a combination, esp. as I am not sure if the mozz was pressed (we used fresh).
Posted: Feb 6, 2006 11:29 pm

mozz was pressed (we used fresh)

super high water content there --- could be the culprit
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 3:52 pm

I discovered it was not pressed. Next time we know!
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 6:23 pm

I'm using some Ragu Pizza Quick on my Boboli pizzas toinght, yep.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 9:32 pm

i fell in love with pesto on pizza as the sauce
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 9:45 pm

That sort of thing is against the law with my husband.
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 10:26 pm

if you opt for less than freshly made mozz, you CAN find low-moisture mozz

also - sauce-wise.... use only tomato paste and season THAT
your other toppings will release liquid (esp. mushrooms), so you gotta start w/ a thick sauce
Posted: Feb 7, 2006 10:34 pm

Really? I really want a sauce with some good quality tomato in it, like these Neapolitan fancy pizza joints are doing.

Ryan refuses mushrooms at every turn, so no problem there. I really like just fresh mozz and basil and anchovies. Or mozz, parm and pepperoni or sausage.
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:02 am

I use Ketchup for my pizza sauce.Some times when I feel like having a slice of pizza,but don't want to bother myself with all that cheeze & crust nonsense, I just go down to the nearest Burger King, and start fillin up those little cups with "pizza sauce" and drink it right there at the condoment counter. the Best pizza I've ever had! EVER!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 1:27 am

Now THAT cracked me up. Thank you!
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 7:58 am

if you put the cheese on the dough, the sauce over the cheese, and more cheese and the other toppings over that, it might reduce the wateriness and keep the crust crisp.

its just an educated and extrapolated guess because its the same principal of buttering your sandwich bread... to keep the wet stuff (lettuce) from making the bread limp

do you use a pizza stone in your oven?
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 10:34 am

nearest Burger King

don't all the crack addicks laff at your lo-fi tranny ass as you sneak that red stuff out the door??
Posted: Feb 9, 2006 4:06 pm

if you put the cheese on the dough, the sauce over the cheese, and more cheese and the other toppings over that, it might reduce the wateriness and keep the crust crisp.

This is genius--or it sounds like it.

We couldn't afford the pizza stone this week so we just bought the pizza screen. Unusable after 4 pizzas, so it is worth it to pony up for the stone.
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 10:11 pm

don't all the crack addicks laff at your lo-fi tranny ass as you sneak that red stuff out the door??null............I laugh at my self in the mirror,with "pizza sauce "all over my face in the Ladie's bathroom.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 3:37 am

i'll never forget the pizza gunn made when he sun-baked the crust on top of shrew's van!

fuckin' a!
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:18 am

get a worthwhile pizza stone-- by which I mean steal a big slab of slate from your neighbor's garden and scrub it clean. I had a pizza stone that straight up cracked in half on maybe the 4th use. the cheap ones are worthless.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 4:20 am

and speaking of "sun baking" if you're makin your own pizza dough, let it rise in the front seat of a sealed up car on a hot day. works great.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 8:12 am

GODDAMMIT, Martel! When are you going to marry me?!?!?!?

I've ALWAYS dreamed of the perfect little wife to cook for me -- clearly she'd have nothing on you.

P.S. You'd be 'kept' if that sweetens the deal.
Posted: Feb 11, 2006 3:17 pm

if you'd seen how I've been eating in the past few months, you'd take that back.
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Goner Message Board Powered by PHP Forum Software miniBB ®